What's new

My first real grinder

Well, I just wanted to share the fact that I took delivery yesterday of my first real grinder. Thanks to the insight from the many coffee fans here, I decided to step into the world of Baratza with an Encore. Here's a picture of the new grinder after it had been washed and dried, and ready to grind.

proxy.php

I brew 90% of my coffee at home with a french press and today I used my new grinder for the first time at setting 28 and ground 60 grams of Columbian coffee from a roaster in Cookville, TN. I subscribe to the 12:1 ratio for the french press and after brewing for four minutes, the resulting cup of coffee was delicious!

Thanks again for the recommendation, I cannot wait to use this new grinder more.

I should have mentioned, prior to the Baratza encore, I was using a simple Mr. Coffee electric grinder, which is basically a slightly larger spice grinder. This got the job done, but the difference in grind quality is impressive, as it should be for the price of the Encore.

Bur grinders are head and shoulders above any whirly blade chopper.

Keep your blade to chop "seed" spices. They're great for that

Last edited:
I know I'm late to this party but congrats on the grinder. How has your home coffee experience been since the acquisition?

Bur Grinders make a huge difference. I have one by Cuisinart and one by Krups. I am more fond of the Cuisinart.

@Venom8431 The coffee has never been better, now I just need a good scale for coffee. The one I'm using now is a cheap digital that really isn't as accurate as it should be.

Well, I just wanted to share the fact that I took delivery yesterday of my first real grinder. Thanks to the insight from the many coffee fans here, I decided to step into the world of Baratza with an Encore. Here's a picture of the new grinder after it had been washed and dried, and ready to grind.

proxy.php

I brew 90% of my coffee at home with a french press and today I used my new grinder for the first time at setting 28 and ground 60 grams of Columbian coffee from a roaster in Cookville, TN. I subscribe to the 12:1 ratio for the french press and after brewing for four minutes, the resulting cup of coffee was delicious!

Thanks again for the recommendation, I cannot wait to use this new grinder more.

Congrats. I too have a Baratza....the Virtuoso......and I also favor french press. I grind at a 26 setting. I'm close at a 13:1 ratio with a 4 minute brew time and another 5 minute rest time. I also froth some skim milk and make a cafe au lait. Good see you using a scale as I do as well. You'll enjoy your grinder. And you'll enjoy the coffee made with it even more. Congrats.

Our son gifted us the same grinder last year but he’s a real coffee guru as he’s in it 100% with his gear

D398FEBE-96D8-4FD0-881F-8035366EA8EA.jpeg
E75DBCCA-278A-47C7-87D8-5539774913DB.jpeg

@Venom8431 The coffee has never been better, now I just need a good scale for coffee. The one I'm using now is a cheap digital that really isn't as accurate as it should be.

I use a CJ-4000 which acts as my all around scale in the kitchen. One feature I really like is the ability to use batteries or an outlet. My first scale was batteries only and it was a problem when they died.

The only real weakness of the scale comes when you brew espresso. It only goes in 0.5g increments and is too bulky to place under the group head of an espresso machine.

Top Bottom