What's new

My first REAL fountain pen!

Well... here goes nothing! My very first thread in The Nib.

I had toyed with a fountain pen when I was pretty young, when my parents bought us a calligraphy set. I remember trying it out, and it was pretty neat. But it just didn't seem practical, nor did it hold our interest for too long. But it was fun because it was kind of artsy.

Later, here I am. I found B&B the same way most of us did, by looking for information on wet shaving. As I explored a bit, I poked into The Nib a bit and discovered a whole world of beautiful pens and inks that really got me intrigued. So, I tried out a Pilot Plumix just for grins. It was neat, but not really very fun to write with. It was scratchy on the paper, and had a wider nib for calligraphy that I didn't really want. I didn't use it a whole lot, and now it's in a drawer.

Then, within the last week, I acquired, via a trade, my very first true fountain pen: an Aurora Ipsilon Blue that had the nib replaced with a 14k nib, along with a bit of Aurora Black ink. It's a darker blue that seems more of a dark blue-grey color. In any case, it's not a bright, vibrant, saturated blue. It also has gold trim. I just tried it out this afternoon, and I'm enjoying writing with it. I find that the black ink skips a bit here and there. Perhaps it's drying in the nib, or maybe it's gulping a little bit of air at that point. I'll try modifying my writing pace. Perhaps writing more slowly will help this issue. In any case, I can feel a bit of FPAD coming on... (Why do you guys always do this to people?! WHY?!?! It's like AD's are contagious!) My first goal is to try a few other inks. Since the pen is blue, I was thinking of trying Baystate Blue. But the ink may be more vibrant than the pen. So I'm thinking that maybe I should try Noodler's Midnight Blue or Blue-Black, as those colors tend to match the pen body a bit more closely. I can always acquire a more vibrant pen to match the BSB down the line, right..? (Or is that the FPAD kicking in?) :001_rolle

In any case, I think I'm going to like writing with FP's, even if I don't really do anything formal. Just jotting notes down, it's still an excellent way to write over those cheapie ballpoint pens I've always used.

Anyway... so, on to my final sentences. I'm wondering about inks. Does anyone have any favorites? Any particular brands that they like? Or are most of the main ink brands going to be pretty good? I keep seeing Pelikan, Noodler's, and I've seen Private Reserve tossed around here and there. I guess Aurora inks are good, too. But, I'm not super-impressed with their black, yet. What inks would you recommend I look into?

And any particular pens for someone like me, who's looking for an oblique or even a flexible oblique style nib? I assume most nibs are stubs or italics. Do these other styles require customization?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Welcome to the club!!

I prefer montblanc pens personally. As far as inks I am stocked on Noodler's, Montblanc, and J. Herbin

Welcome to the nib!

My favourite inks are J.Herbin, Private Reserve, and Lamy. But there are many good brands out there.

Checkout the Goulet's swab shop, it has many different inks.

As for black ink, I enjoy Pelikan Brilliant Black, but there are quite a few good black inks around.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In any case, I can feel a bit of FPAD coming on... (Why do you guys always do this to people?! WHY?!?! It's like AD's are contagious!)

Anyway... so, on to my final sentences. I'm wondering about inks. Does anyone have any favorites? Any particular brands that they like? Or are most of the main ink brands going to be pretty good? I keep seeing Pelikan, Noodler's, and I've seen Private Reserve tossed around here and there. I guess Aurora inks are good, too. But, I'm not super-impressed with their black, yet. What inks would you recommend I look into?

And any particular pens for someone like me, who's looking for an oblique or even a flexible oblique style nib? I assume most nibs are stubs or italics. Do these other styles require customization?

First, on the FPAD question ... :sneaky2::sneaky2::sneaky2: pretty much sums it up.

:001_tt2:

Inks ... there are lots of good ones out there. Just about every ink company makes at least one winner and one clunker to be avoided ... and lots of YMMV stuff in between. I'd suggest Noodler's Black as an excellent "base line" ink from which to compare all other inks. Not that it's "the best ink" but certainly a very good one that isn't quirky or odd ... straight-up ink, if you will. A good starting point.

I'd also recommend joining the Ink Drop at Goulet Pens ... for $10/month you get five ink samples delivered to your door each month ... a great way to explore all sorts of inks, and unless you write a lot, a bottle of Noodler's black and monthly ink drops will keep you well supplied with ink for a long time (giving you a chance to select your preferences for full bottles.)

I haven't seen many oblique nibs sold 'factory fresh' ... that's not to say they don't exist ... they might ... but it's probably going to be something you need to have done 'after-market' custom.

Also, check out the Sailor specialty nibs, notably the Naginata Togi ... it's made to have variation, although it's vertical instead of horizontal (unlike italic nibs &c, the ink line is thicker when the nib is moving sideways, and thinner when moving up and down.) These can be had on e-Bay for under $200 ... a lot under, if you watch the auctions closely.

I find that the black ink skips a bit here and there. Perhaps it's drying in the nib, or maybe it's gulping a little bit of air at that point. I'll try modifying my writing pace. Perhaps writing more slowly will help this issue.

Did you ink up the pen right after getting it or give it a thorough flush/clean before inking up? Aurora Black is a very well behaved ink, so for the pen to be skipping with it, I'd suspect a bit of cleaning is in order. Aurora Black is one of the nicest, velvetiest blacks out there, so it shouldn't cause issues.

I'm wondering about inks. Does anyone have any favorites? Any particular brands that they like? Or are most of the main ink brands going to be pretty good? I keep seeing Pelikan, Noodler's, and I've seen Private Reserve tossed around here and there. I guess Aurora inks are good, too. But, I'm not super-impressed with their black, yet. What inks would you recommend I look into?

As far as inks go, my personal favorite brands are Diamine and Private Reserve. Diamine inks are extremely well behaved and have all the properties I'm looking for in an ink: large color selection, excellent flow, lubrication and drying times, nice saturation, and in particular, easy cleanup and no proclivity for staining. Private Reserve inks are similar in performance, but don't have as many colors that appeal to me. I tend to stay away from Noodler's because their inks have been very hit or miss for me, so YMMV on that one since this is only one man's opinion.

On the subject of nibs, you may want to take a look at the first three links on http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/00_refp.htm#nibs. In particular, check out the "Nibs I" link. I think what you're probably looking for is a stub or italic nib. Oblique actually refers to nibs cut on an angle. Most nibs are rounded in the standard sizes EF-F-M-B with specialty sizes and shapes being less common. Stub and italic nibs are very popular due to the line variation they provide without the need for precise pressure and angle control that flexible nibs require.

The important thing to remember is that certain nib widths and shapes work better in some situations than others. I prefer F or M round nibs for general note taking and annotations. For letter writing, I like to use my stub nibs as they give my handwriting a bit more character and I'm not constrained on space. I only have a few B or larger nibs that I reserve for special occasions or signature use as my day-to-day normal handwriting is too small for a broad nib.

Welcome to the hobby (cough)addiction(cough)!

strop

Now half as wise
Glad you've joined us Mr. Spiffy. The aurora black ink is generally a very well behaved ink. Not too dry and not too wet. If you're having trouble with it I'd suggest really flushing out the pen very well. If it's not been used in a while, depending on how carefully it was put away, there may very well be dried ink in the feed. Flush it well with room temp water. If needed a 10% ammonia solution can also be used. I suspect you'll find that makes a huge difference.

The Ink Drop is a good way to sample many colors and brands of ink, or simply go the the Goulet's site and order the samples you want. Noodler's probably has the largest color selection although you'll find all kinds of opinions on the pen sites. I've never had a problem with it effecting one of my pens but I'm pretty meticulous about flushing out a pen after each fill, usually because I'm rotating in a different pen for a while. I like Iroshizuki, but they are pricey. I have Diamine, Private Reserve, Pelican, Waterman, Sailor, J. Herbin, and several vintage Parker and Shaeffer inks. They behave differently in different pens, and I use whatever strikes me at the time. It's a never ending journey to enjoy!

Welcome to the Nib! We don't give people AD's, the AD's have too much power, we just try and help each other after they have already taken over! :tongue_sm

Welcome!
I really like Waterman, Aurora and Private Reserve ink.
I've had good luck with Montgrappa Bordeaux and Montblanc Toffee Brown too.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Welcome to the Nib! The suggestion to make sure that your pen is completely flushed and clean is a really good one.
Dave posted a video here that is helpful --> http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/305267-Pen-Flushing-Video

Enjoy the pen, I have a couple of the Aurora Ipsilon pens, none with a gold nib, and very much like the way the cap snaps on the barrel. Not a lot said about the pens here so I forget about mine, now I have an excuse to dig my red one out ... thanks!

Welcome to the Nib! So much good info already given! If you are truly looking for Oblique nibs, pelikan has stock Oblique nibs for all of their models I think. You can pick up a M200 for around $100, or a bit over, and get an Oblique M-Oblique BB.

Enjoy your pen, and have fun trying out new inks!

Lots of awesome feedback, thanks! And I appreciate the warm welcome! I'll definitely look into flushing out the pen. I did not clean it after it arrived, but I believe the previous owner had done so before storing it. Can't hurt to do it again. Although, can I keep the ink I've drawn into the converter? Or should I dump it? Does it pick up dried ink gunk when filling the pen?

Nemo, I agree about the cap. It's definitely a quality pen. At first, the cap doesn't seem to snap on very well and seems like it would fall right off. But, it definitely stays on just fine, and requires enough of a pull to pop it back off of the barrel again.

I've noticed the huge selection of inks out there. But, it still seems like there are a few names that continue to pop up as favorites: Private Reserve, Diamine, J. Herbin, and Pelikan, to name a few. I've also noticed some Japanese inks out there. I'd guess there are a few of these that are very nice, as well. I'd wonder about their availability, though. I'll try the inks listed above, and maybe I can find some samples of these to try. I know that Goulet's has some individual samples and sample packs. I'll go browsing and see what I can come up with.

Just for kicks, here are a few photos. Since everyone loves photos... you know... :biggrin1:

proxy.php

A better photo of how it truly looks in natural light. The blue isn't nearly as vibrant as the flash makes it.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Very nice!

As far as flushing goes, you can pull the converter and keep the ink in it, but without any other means of forcing water in and out of the pen, you may need to resort to the converter for that purpose. I suggest that you can swing by a local pharmacy or baby store and get an ear cleaning bulb. The Goulets have an excellent video specifically on flushing pens here: http://www.inknouveau.com/2012/08/fp101-fast-pen-flushing.html. Once you've used an ear bulb, you'll never go back to flushing water up and down through your converter, it just takes too long. Additionally, depending on the age of the pen and whether or not there are any stubborn clogs, you may just need to soak the nib/feed/section for a while to get all the old ink out.

I also suggest taking a look at the resources here: http://www.inknouveau.com/p/fountain-pen-101.html. There is a plethora of information here that cover the basics of just about every aspect of fountain pens.

I'll second Noodler's Black as a great standard black. It's always reliable for me, and it pretty much won't come off paper, unless someone has ridiculous special lasers.

I've also had great experiences with Rohrer & Klinger ink and the Goulet Pen Company's Ink Drop.

I'll second Noodler's Black as a great standard black. It's always reliable for me, and it pretty much won't come off paper, unless someone has ridiculous special lasers.

I've also had great experiences with Rohrer & Klinger ink and the Goulet Pen Company's Ink Drop.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm planning to sample a few inks from Goulet's, so I have a feeling I'll try a few different black inks. I saw Private Reserve Velvet Black, and it made me ooh and ahh at how dark it was. So, I ordered a sample of that, along with samples of PR's Midnight Blues and Noodler's Bad Blue Heron. Can't wait to try them out!

Welcome to the Nib.

Another ink you can try once you get bored with those is Namiki Blue. I haven't been using pens long and it's my favorite, so far. I bring it up because you mentioned a blue at the top of this thread.

It is a very well-behaved ink. I haven't seen a problem with feathering, although it does leave a thicker line on absorbent paper. There is a little bleed-through on some papers but not enough to bother me. It flows really well and dries pretty quick. It's also very water resistant if that is important for you.

The color is a nice, medium blue. Some call it a pure blue. The bottle has this little plastic cup nestled in the top that fills with ink when you tip the bottle. It helps to get all the ink out when the bottle gets low. I found mine at a pen shop and I think you can find it online as well.

Welcome to the Nib.

Another ink you can try once you get bored with those is Namiki Blue...

That looks like a nice color, and in that sort of blue-black or blue-grey family that I'm interested in for this pen. Maybe it's just my opinion, but I want the color to match the pen, for some reason. It's definitely an ink I'll take a look at. Thanks! :biggrin1:

Top Bottom