What's new

My First Proserpine Razor Co (S.K. Colling) Custom Razor

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have been procrastinating for months about getting my first custom made SR. At last I pulled the trigger on a custom 6/8 Spanish point from Steve Colling in Proserpine, Queensland, Australia. Here are my initial requirements that I have requested Steve to make for me;

Custom Order Req Pg 1.jpg

Custom Order Req Pg 2.jpg
I will further update this thread as the project progresses.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A few things that I forgot in my requirements but told Steve in my email:
  • No jimps required
  • Little (<1mm) on no smile in the edge
  • Include one of his timber coffins for the SR

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Please do keep us updated on any progress. I think you have ordered a razor that is a duplicate of what I would order.

Except I'd probably want the toe to be muted. I think I could cut myself with a Gold Dollar straight from the forge...

I have been procrastinating for months about getting my first custom made SR. At last I pulled the trigger on a custom 6/8 Spanish point from Steve Colling in Proserpine, Queensland, Australia. Here are my initial requirements that I have requested Steve to make for me;

I will further update this thread as the project progresses.
I find your dedication truly inspiring 👏🏼

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Steve's fine timber coffins are no longer available. He now supplies his straight razors in vintage style cardboard coffins.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Invoice received and paid (in advance). His pice is very reasonable. I won't mention it here as he may have given me mate's rates.

Steve is now waiting upon receipt of the silver ash timber for the scales. He is hoping that it arrives in a week or two.

Silver ash timber is native to eastern Australia. It has a high density and is very stiff with a fine gain structure.

I have used silver ash in my teens when boat building. Due to its hardness, it quickly blunts your tools. It is particularly good in areas of high wear like the bottom of a keel.

IMG_20211202_142437.jpg

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This is sad.
Yes, but Steve told me that one of his timber coffins takes about just as long to make as a SR. With orders from retail outlets, Steve is now flat out and just doesn't have the available time.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes, but Steve told me that one of his timber coffins takes about just as long to make as a SR. With orders for retail outlets, Steve is now flat out and just doesn't have the available time.
Good for him then! I hope his business grows as much as he wants it to.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Proserpine is about an eight hour (650km) drive south for me. Still in the State of Queensland, for those who think that Texas is big.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
After not hearing from Steve (nor receiving the SR) for over a month since he said he would post my SR to me, I contacted his wife through her work email address. She replied that my emails to Steve had gone into his junk folder and that he forgot to post my razor to me. Steve told her that he would post it tomorrow express post.

I hope that it all works this time.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Ordered and paid 02 December 2021. Completed early February 2022. Posted express post domestic 14 April 2022. Received at last 19 April 2022.

full

Custom made exactly to my specifications. Cost USD 150 including shipping. Will see how it shaves tomorrow morning.

Top Bottom