What's new

My first pipe.

You should be able to swap out stems on your cobs without much trouble. As long as you're switching a filtered stem for another filtered stem. Or non filtered for non filtered. the shanks are indeed set at different angles, but the mortises are the same.

Getting more and more from the tobacco is pretty cool, isn't it? The more you smoke it, the more you'll pick up. And that encourages you to try more and more. Like those movies where you pick up something new each time you watch it.

I'm glad you're enjoying the process! It's a great rabbit hole to head down.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
You're right! And the churchwarden stems as well.

Ok, I bungled what I was trying to say. Let's try this again. If the cob is offered in straight or bent stems, you should be able to swap one for the other with minimal difficulty. Pulling a straight stem off a Mark Twain and slapping a bent acrylic stem in there shouldn't be much of a problem.

You're right! And the churchwarden stems as well.

Ok, I bungled what I was trying to say. Let's try this again. If the cob is offered in straight or bent stems, you should be able to swap one for the other with minimal difficulty. Pulling a straight stem off a Mark Twain and slapping a bent acrylic stem in there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Yeah That was my question. Would a bent Country Gentleman stem fit a straight Country Gentleman. All good thanks.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Jar up the Aged Burley Flake. It's an exceptional tobacco, but perhaps better suited once you get your legs well underneath you. If you're still smoking a pipe in two or three months come back and give it another shot...you'll be surprised I'm sure.

So, out of curiosity, what tobaccos have you managed to acquire? And what have you tried? What have you liked or disliked? I promise to let at least 5 people answer your response with "You gotta try ___ before I pile on.

I ask because, as I mentioned, I'm about 2 months ahead of where you are. I'm very interested in how other people are approaching this. For example, I've never heard of St. Brunos. But I like toffee about as much as I like value OTC products. Does the toffee aroma carry through to the taste?

So, out of curiosity, what tobaccos have you managed to acquire? And what have you tried? What have you liked or disliked? I promise to let at least 5 people answer your response with "You gotta try ___ before I pile on.

I ask because, as I mentioned, I'm about 2 months ahead of where you are. I'm very interested in how other people are approaching this. For example, I've never heard of St. Brunos. But I like toffee about as much as I like value OTC products. Does the toffee aroma carry through to the taste?

I started with Solani Aged Burley which I bought online with the pipe. I then bought some St. Bruno Flake which is available on the High Street in the UK. It doesn't exactly taste like toffee and I'm no good at reviewing tobacco. I just meant it is quite a full on, in the face kind of baccy, compared to the Solani. I love the St. Bruno. My Charles Towne Cobbler arrived today and I christened it with the Solani Aged Burley, and had a very nice smoke indeed.

The Cobbler arrived with some spare mouth pieces and a pouch of Original Flake, which is another Mac Baren reworking of a British Tobacco, as is St. Bruno. I shall sample that later. That's it. To be honest I'm not going to be diving into a rabbit hole here. Two or three baccy's I like will be enough to keep me happy for sure.

A question about the Charles Towne Cobbler if I may. My first smoke with it and it started gurgling a bit which is a new thing for me. My Country Gent, straight mouth piece, hasn't done that. Is that condensation or my saliva going into the mouth piece? Is it due to the bend? Will the world end? Other than that it smoked great.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Is that condensation or my saliva going into the mouth piece? Is it due to the bend? Will the world end? Other than that it smoked great.

Yes, it's both from condensation and saliva, but mostly condensation. With a bent pipe, the condensation gathers in the heel of the pipe. A simple fix for this when it happens is to put a pipe cleaner down the stem all the way to the bottom of the heal to swab out the moisture, remove it, and carry on.

They beat me to it. Bent anything; pipe stem, plumbing pipes, straws, whatever, will collect anything more dense than the surrounding matter. Plumbing traps collect hair, bends in rivers collect driftwood, and bent stems in tobacco pipes collect condensation and any other liquid matter. Run a pipe cleaner and life will go on without nary a hitch.

And nothing wrong with skipping the rabbit holes and dialing yourself in early. Sticking with just one or two pipes and a few blends really is the smart way to do it.

The Mac Baren Original Flake is rather nice. It's sort of like St. Bruno with less flavouring. Not the same but similar.
Tonight I was sitting in the garden in the dark, having a puff, and a hedgehog came scurrying past. It stopped and looked at me had a few sniffs and scurried on.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
The Mac Baren Original Flake is rather nice. It's sort of like St. Bruno with less flavouring. Not the same but similar.
Tonight I was sitting in the garden in the dark, having a puff, and a hedgehog came scurrying past. It stopped and looked at me had a few sniffs and scurried on.
You have wild hedgehogs in the U.K.!?

Top Bottom