What's new

My first pipe.

My first pipe is now three pipes, all cobs. I have a Country Gentleman, a Charles Towne Cobbler, and a Little Devil. The Charles Towne Cobbler is a great pipe but I probably prefer straight pipes I've learned. The Little Devil nose warmer is less well finished but smokes great anyway. I got it for a quick smoke when out on the bike and it's perfect for that.

Baccy wise I'm still digging the St Bruno a lot, and it's available on the high street. Also over the counter is Special Virginia AKA Mellow Virginia. Fill of flavour and I rather like that as well, even though the tobacco looks a bit like floor sweepings. I can get Condor OTC so I might try it just because of the controversial reviews around it.

Other baccy's I've tried are Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake. I like that a lot as a mild but satisfying smoke. I shall buy more. Mac Baren Original Flake is nice but tastes a bit like a mellower St Bruno so I'll stick with the St Bruno. Solani Aged Burley...nice but I seem to prefer Virginia's to Burleys.

One I don't like...Petersons Irish flake. Just not my thing and I'm unlikely to even smoke another bowl of it. I'll give it to my elderly neighbour who smokes Clan and has a pipe permanently welded to his face. He is 85 years old with Leukaemia and got Covid 19. In and out of hospital in two weeks, and back home smiling. I saw him the other day. ''How ya doing?'' I asked. ''Oh I'm fine'' he says firing up his pipe. Can't keep a good man down. I'm a bit worried the Peterson's Irish flake might finish him off.

I've looked at Briars but I see it as a rabbit hole and I'm staying away. I really dig my cobs anyway. I will most likely invest in a decent pipe lighter though.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Glad to hear you are coming along. You seem to have a found a groove and seeing where you fit. Glad to hear your neighbor beat COVID, nice to see that you can't keep a codger down. I'm sure he'll be pleased with the Irish Flake. Personally, I love Irish Flake but if you aren't into strong undressed tobacco I could certainly see it not being your cup o' tea. No shame in the cob game either. They are fine pipes at a fine price. Enjoy them and take care of them and they'll take care of you.

Glad to hear you are coming along. You seem to have a found a groove and seeing where you fit. Glad to hear your neighbor beat COVID, nice to see that you can't keep a codger down. I'm sure he'll be pleased with the Irish Flake. Personally, I love Irish Flake but if you aren't into strong undressed tobacco I could certainly see it not being your cup o' tea. No shame in the cob game either. They are fine pipes at a fine price. Enjoy them and take care of them and they'll take care of you.

Funny thing about the Irish flake and nicotine. I was a pretty heavy cigarette smoker and I stopped twice using patches but I could only use the lower nic patches. When I started vaping I went quickly from high nic to quite low. I can vape quite happy at 6mg nic whn some vape 50mg. The Irish flake had me running around scanning the roof tops for snipers.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If you're going for Condor, try the Long Cut as well as the ready rubbed. It's the same tobacco in a different form, but I prefer the flake (long cut).

As for the stronger tobaccos, I think they make a great "busy man's" smoke, by which I mean dipping in and out while doing something else. A couple of puffs then set the pipe back down and carry on working, rather than sitting in contemplation for an hour. Great for tasks where you have to do a bit, think a bit, do a bit, think a bit, etc.

If you're going for Condor, try the Long Cut as well as the ready rubbed. It's the same tobacco in a different form, but I prefer the flake (long cut).

As for the stronger tobaccos, I think they make a great "busy man's" smoke, by which I mean dipping in and out while doing something else. A couple of puffs then set the pipe back down and carry on working, rather than sitting in contemplation for an hour. Great for tasks where you have to do a bit, think a bit, do a bit, think a bit, etc.

What about the snipers???

It seems like you're really hitting your groove, Dave. If you don't mind, how did you come up with your tobaccos while avoiding any rabbit holes? I'm trying to figure out my groove now, and sometimes it's helpful to see how others did it. Thanks!

My first pipe is now three pipes, all cobs. I have a Country Gentleman, a Charles Towne Cobbler, and a Little Devil. The Charles Towne Cobbler is a great pipe but I probably prefer straight pipes I've learned. The Little Devil nose warmer is less well finished but smokes great anyway. I got it for a quick smoke when out on the bike and it's perfect for that.

Baccy wise I'm still digging the St Bruno a lot, and it's available on the high street. Also over the counter is Special Virginia AKA Mellow Virginia. Fill of flavour and I rather like that as well, even though the tobacco looks a bit like floor sweepings. I can get Condor OTC so I might try it just because of the controversial reviews around it.

Other baccy's I've tried are Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake. I like that a lot as a mild but satisfying smoke. I shall buy more. Mac Baren Original Flake is nice but tastes a bit like a mellower St Bruno so I'll stick with the St Bruno. Solani Aged Burley...nice but I seem to prefer Virginia's to Burleys.

One I don't like...Petersons Irish flake. Just not my thing and I'm unlikely to even smoke another bowl of it. I'll give it to my elderly neighbour who smokes Clan and has a pipe permanently welded to his face. He is 85 years old with Leukaemia and got Covid 19. In and out of hospital in two weeks, and back home smiling. I saw him the other day. ''How ya doing?'' I asked. ''Oh I'm fine'' he says firing up his pipe. Can't keep a good man down. I'm a bit worried the Peterson's Irish flake might finish him off.

I've looked at Briars but I see it as a rabbit hole and I'm staying away. I really dig my cobs anyway. I will most likely invest in a decent pipe lighter though.
The little devil is great. It was my only pipe for a while. Had to retire it after getting a crack from smoking 2+ bowls everyday.

I want the Charles towne Cobbler next! I just got the Emerald in the mail the other day. It’s by far my largest bowl/pipe so far so I’m thinking the Cobbler would be similar.

I vote you definitely try any controversial blends just because I’m about to. Haven’t tried a tobacco I don’t like. Haha So I figure to buy a few polarizing blends next!

It seems like you're really hitting your groove, Dave. If you don't mind, how did you come up with your tobaccos while avoiding any rabbit holes? I'm trying to figure out my groove now, and sometimes it's helpful to see how others did it. Thanks!

Seemed wise to me to try high street brands first. Just because they are available. From there it seemed wise to try a Burly and a Virginia. I mean I'll no doubt try a few others as I go but I don't intend to have more than maybe three different baccy's at home at any time, and I certainly won't be storing them for five or ten years. If there's chocolate in my home I eat it.

The little devil is great. It was my only pipe for a while. Had to retire it after getting a crack from smoking 2+ bowls everyday.

I want the Charles towne Cobbler next! I just got the Emerald in the mail the other day. It’s by far my largest bowl/pipe so far so I’m thinking the Cobbler would be similar.

I vote you definitely try any controversial blends just because I’m about to. Haven’t tried a tobacco I don’t like. Haha So I figure to buy a few polarizing blends next!

The Charles Towne is a nice pipe but to be honest my Country Gentleman is as well made and is half the price. If my Charles Towne broke tomorrow I would buy two more Country Gentleman's. The mouth piece is nice right enough.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Seemed wise to me to try high street brands first. Just because they are available. From there it seemed wise to try a Burly and a Virginia. I mean I'll no doubt try a few others as I go but I don't intend to have more than maybe three different baccy's at home at any time, and I certainly won't be storing them for five or ten years. If there's chocolate in my home I eat it.

Three is my sweet spot too, though I'm starting ageing as well, but only having three open at a time.

I definitely know what you mean about the chocolate though, and I've started smoking more often since getting a load of samples in. I'm hoping to have that calmed back down by the time I'm using the tins I'm ageing. I'm not prepared to fall back into being a full time smoker.

Still puffin on my cobs. I've realised I like Virginia's and don't like Latakia or Orientals/Turkish flavours. The old chap downstairs got my SG Squadron Leader. I can't stand the perfumey taste.

What I do like a lot. Samuel Gawith Best Brown, Full Virginia Flake and Golden Glow. Strangely perhaps, my experience with SG tins seems different to the many reviews in that all my tins have been perfect to smoke straight away. None have been wet far less 'sopping wet' as has been reported on TobaccoReviews.com.

I shall be sticking with these SG Va's for a while. By comparison the St.Bruno now seems to taste only of vinegar. I don't know if it's just that pouch or if Samual Gawith has just taught me what tobacco should actually taste like. Maybe it's the heat. Dunno.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I shall be sticking with these SG Va's for a while. By comparison the St.Bruno now seems to taste only of vinegar. I don't know if it's just that pouch or if Samual Gawith has just taught me what tobacco should actually taste like. Maybe it's the heat. Dunno.

Yeah, it might be the heat, Dave. You might also be smoking it harder, having been recently smoking flake.

Top Bottom