What's new

my first pipe!

A Brigham Voyageur 147:

proxy.php

(photo borrowed from pipesandcigars.com)

I've been smoking a friend's Peterson (he has six or seven pipes [few Petersons, couple Meerschaums, couple Savinellis]...I guess AD hits you hard no matter what you collect) up to this point to get my bearings. On a student's budget there's no way I could afford something like that, so I lucked into a sale at Thomas Hinds in Toronto. I hadn't heard of Brigham, but they have a good rep in Canada at least so I gave them a shot. My first smoke was excellent. Can't remember what I smoked, though.

I think I'm gonna try to find some GLP to take back up with me next week :thumbup1:.

Excellent choice!!

My first and second pipes were both Brighams, about a dozen years ago, and I still love them (and smoke them often) to this day even though I have pipes that cost 10x as much.

Roy and Herbert Brigham invented a wonderful system, with the Brigham Rock Maple Filter... I just wish they were still made in Canada. Herbert passed away a week ago at the age of 94.

I just loaded my Brigham System apple pipe with some McClelland Aurora, time to hit the garage for half an hour.:thumbup:

Welcome to the civilised world of pipe smoking gentlemen :sailor:

I'm not personally drawn to rustics myself, but that's a nice looking pipe.

Yes, PAD (and TAD) are pretty pervasive...I've got over a dozen after just 3 months! :lol:

Have a look for "estate" pipes on ebay. They clean up pretty easily and you can get well known brands for a lot less than new. There are a few threads over at The Brotherhood Of The Briar giving some pointers on what to look for (and how to clean them up).

I own several Brighams and think they are underrated for what you get in terms of pipes. BTW, where did you purchase your pipe?

I own several Brighams and think they are underrated for what you get in terms of pipes. BTW, where did you purchase your pipe?

Thomas Hinds, just off Bloor and Yonge. Their prices usually aren't amazing, but they're having a 30% off sale at the moment and I couldn't find anyone else who could beat that price. Plus, the service there is fantastic :thumbup1:.

Thomas Hinds, just off Bloor and Yonge. Their prices usually aren't amazing, but they're having a 30% off sale at the moment and I couldn't find anyone else who could beat that price. Plus, the service there is fantastic :thumbup1:.

Good to know as I would love 30% off my next purchase. I'll drop by and see what they have in stock.

Congrats on the fine looking pipe!

Now I have TWO places to shop on my next visit to see SWMBO, TBBS and Thomas Hinds. Hopefully I can luck into a sale then, too. Of course, I have 6 pipes in rotation now and absolutely no need for another. But, hey, if there's a sale... :001_rolle

Congrats on the fine looking pipe!

Now I have TWO places to shop on my next visit to see SWMBO, TBBS and Thomas Hinds. Hopefully I can luck into a sale then, too. Of course, I have 6 pipes in rotation now and absolutely no need for another. But, hey, if there's a sale... :001_rolle

Oooh, I need to make my way over to TBBS too. Lookin' to try some J.M. Fraser's...

I think Thomas Hinds has this 30% off sale every October because I was there last year and it was the same... they had quite a decent selection or factory pipes.

Where did you pick it up?

From this shop in Austria...

http://www.pfeifenkonsulat.at/shop/index.php?a=635

I've always wanted to try a 9mm German-style filter. I was also able to add a churchwarden stem; I've also always wanted to try a churchwarden, so this gives me the option to try for only 15 euros more.

Unfortunately, 9mm filters are only really popular in Germany and Austria so to find good selection you have to go to these countries.

By the way DE shaver, what is your name?

From this shop in Austria...

http://www.pfeifenkonsulat.at/shop/index.php?a=635

I've always wanted to try a 9mm German-style filter. I was also able to add a churchwarden stem; I've also always wanted to try a churchwarden, so this gives me the option to try for only 15 euros more.

Unfortunately, 9mm filters are only really popular in Germany and Austria so to find good selection you have to go to these countries.

By the way DE shaver, what is your name?

I'll PM you with that information.

I've always wanted to try a 9mm German-style filter...Unfortunately, 9mm filters are only really popular in Germany and Austria so to find good selection you have to go to these countries.

Some of the Savinelli range (Porto Cervo definitely) and Petersons (Dublin and some Killarneys) take the 9mm filters. Also have a look for Big Bens. A lot of the European makers carry filter ranges as well as Denicotea from Israel (although the shipping might be a killer for you).

Some of the Savinelli range (Porto Cervo definitely) and Petersons (Dublin and some Killarneys) take the 9mm filters. Also have a look for Big Bens. A lot of the European makers carry filter ranges as well as Denicotea from Israel (although the shipping might be a killer for you).

I knew about the Savinelli's but I'm not crazy about the shapes. I'm much more attracted to Danish-style shaping. I didn't know Peterson made 9mm pipes. I've only ever owned 1 Pete and their practice of dip-staining drove me crazy, I ended up selling it. I've looked at the Big Ben's but they seem heavily lacquered which I don't like (I could be wrong).

I will test out this Stanwell and see how I like the 9mm filters. I'm a really big fan of the Brigham filters so I figured I would try the 9mm charcoal's out because they seem to be so popular in Europe.

Top Bottom