What's new

My First Major Pipe Disaster

I recently had a Rattray Morta pipe develop a longitudinal crack through the bowl and extending into the stem, but it did not separate into two pieces. I had maybe smoked it a dozen times and had not mistreated it. Smoking Pipes gave me full store credit for it even though I had had it just over a year.

The only real mistreatment that could cause a split like that is letting a cake get too thick. Sitting on them (as one customer did) doesn't help either lol.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
The abuse of smoking pipes. We all have our stories.

The most abuse I have ever seen a pipe endure ... was to derail a locomotive.

But you'll have to watch the Bert Lancaster classic "The Train", to find out how.

I think I mentioned it here before ... I once witnessed a Darwin award candidate explode apart a cob, which is usually indestructible, by literally lighting it with a handheld blowtorch. That sort of abuse (and that sort of abuser) is extraordinary, however. The good part is, he will never do it again.

The usual abuses are from excessive cake (as has been stated), and from hot shank/mortise mishandling errors. The latter are probably the most common, especially among less seasoned smokers.

Don't play John Henry with them when they are still hot, and most good ones should outlive you.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I knocked a stem apart on a Tinsky pipe. It was a straight billiard kinda Canadianish. Narrow stem estate. Well I don't knock out pipes anymore. I did get it repaired. Mostly to set right the stupid mistake.

An update: Dustin notified me that my replacement B&B BL 2019 LE is shipped as of this morning. The USPS says it will be here by Monday the 14th, which should easily happen. I'll post a pic when it arrives.
Kudos to Dustin for standing by his pipe. Excellent customer service!

Mixed with Velvet. Make a new "Will it Grape" Podcast.
I kid, I kid. CBG made my whole office stink as it sat in an unopened pouch in a desk drawer. I don't wish that on anyone!

With morta, i'm found of the Hirstute Shuffle. Pembroke in a morta. :)
I was ready to reply that I don't have any Pembroke at hand, but after consulting my cellar inventory sheet, it seems I do. I'll be digging it out and popping the tin tomorrow after the pipe arrives, if everything goes according to plan.

Wasn't it @Price that coined the term "Hirsute Shuffle" - Pembroke in a morta? Before my time on the forum.

Here is the hardest part of this whole disaster. I've received a Delivery Notice from the USPS. The replacement 2019 B&B BL LE DR Franc Morta is sitting in a box on my front porch and I won't get my hands on it for another hour and a half, unless I skip out from work a little early. I was here an hour early this morning, so leaving an hour early is totally justifiable, right?
I've a nearly two year old unopened tin of Pembroke on my desk, just waiting to participate in the Hirsute
Shuffle. And yet, here I sit. Frankly, not getting a lot done. I freely admit I'm pitiful.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Here is the hardest part of this whole disaster. I've received a Delivery Notice from the USPS. The replacement 2019 B&B BL LE DR Franc Morta is sitting in a box on my front porch and I won't get my hands on it for another hour and a half, unless I skip out from work a little early. I was here an hour early this morning, so leaving an hour early is totally justifiable, right?
I've a nearly two year old unopened tin of Pembroke on my desk, just waiting to participate in the Hirsute
Shuffle. And yet, here I sit. Frankly, not getting a lot done. I freely admit I'm pitiful.

I’d say go for it. Leave a little early for the pleasure of breaking in your new (replacement) pipe. 😁

Top Bottom