What's new

My first JNAT buying and trying

Interesting post. You are making good progress, but it is not that difficult to get stellar edges from a good Jnat, yours by the way looks to be a good one.

Lapping your stone was a huge step forward. You can make Jnat honing as complicated or simple as you want. Start with simple.
Look at Alex Gilmore’s Axe2 method, this is dirt simple, super effective and an excellent way to test a stone for aggressiveness and finishing ability.

Alex uses half lap knife honing strokes in decreasing lap count, 20,10,5,2, 1 on diamond slurry. Reduce / thin slurry by wiping off half the slurry with a wet sponge. Finish on thin slurry, not all stones can finish on plain water.

You can also bump it up and finish with your Tomo on a very thin slurry with X strokes. Strop on clean linen between lap sets to remove any false edge or wire burr and make a stronger edge.

Also round off all the corners of your tomo with the diamond plate so there are no sharp edges or corners. Sharp edges or corners can break of into the slurry and trash an edge, so smooth them all out. Seal the skin, and the sides that you will not be using with a craft store water-based varnish or clear nail polish. This will seal the skin in place, the skin is super abrasive.

Pick a smooth edge, and round that edge to about a ¾ to ½ inch radius, then use that corner to raise slurry lightly rubbing that corner as you roll the stone from one side to the other as you rub.

Interesting post. You are making good progress, but it is not that difficult to get stellar edges from a good Jnat, yours by the way looks to be a good one.

Lapping your stone was a huge step forward. You can make Jnat honing as complicated or simple as you want. Start with simple.
Look at Alex Gilmore’s Axe2 method, this is dirt simple, super effective and an excellent way to test a stone for aggressiveness and finishing ability.

Alex uses half lap knife honing strokes in decreasing lap count, 20,10,5,2, 1 on diamond slurry. Reduce / thin slurry by wiping off half the slurry with a wet sponge. Finish on thin slurry, not all stones can finish on plain water.

You can also bump it up and finish with your Tomo on a very thin slurry with X strokes. Strop on clean linen between lap sets to remove any false edge or wire burr and make a stronger edge.

Also round off all the corners of your tomo with the diamond plate so there are no sharp edges or corners. Sharp edges or corners can break of into the slurry and trash an edge, so smooth them all out. Seal the skin, and the sides that you will not be using with a craft store water-based varnish or clear nail polish. This will seal the skin in place, the skin is super abrasive.

Pick a smooth edge, and round that edge to about a ¾ to ½ inch radius, then use that corner to raise slurry lightly rubbing that corner as you roll the stone from one side to the other as you rub.
Thanks a lot for this it’s very helpful👍👍

I read an interesting post, a while back, (I am pretty sure it was one of Alex Gilmore’s blogs) about honing on end grain of a nagura.

I have been rounding a corner of long grain and end grain on most of my Nagura, tomo and Mikawa and it does for me make a difference in slurry performance.

Perhaps Alex will comment.

Top Bottom