What's new

My first JNAT buying and trying

I initially thought get the razor right, and then use the hard jnat as a finisher with a Tomo or Diamond plate slurry, diluted to water. I had great success, but in an effort to improve things I acquired some additional nagura: Botan, Tenjou, Mejiro, and Tomo.

Once an edge is right using my synthetic stones, I am pausing, resetting, and taking my time moving the razor through the full Nagura progression. The resultant edges are the best I have experienced in terms of sharpness and smoothness. Just so refined, and feel so great on the face!

Vr

Matt

I took the Friodur back to the stone today, this time I thought I’d see what happens if I don’t dilute the slurry as I go. I made a milky slurry and got going. The yellow slurry gradually got greyer over the 15 or so minutes I was honing for, as metal from the razor mixed in with it. I was tempted to remake the slurry but I carried on with it till it was wasn’t much left then I stopped. I don’t have high hopes for the shave test due to the swarf build up in the slurry and the way it thickened up towards the end but I’ll see what tomorrow’s shave brings. I could feel, I thought, that on this second honing since I lapped it, the stone was no longer completely flat all over so I’ll lap it again tomorrow.

I usually tame the edge by creating a light tomo slurry. It does not take that many strokes before the slurry i broken down.
I would round off those edges off the stone a bit more. One bad stroke and you need to start over. I have learned the hard way:)

Very pleasantly surprised by today’s shave. Yesterday I made a slurry and stuck with it till the end, no dilution and this seems to have unlocked some of the smoothness I’ve been looking for. No stinginess and very very close. It’ll take more experimentation but looks like I could be on the right track.

I shaved again with the Friodur this morning. Quite a difference. While I was shaving I was smiling at how soft and smooth the edge felt and the bbs post shave feel is outstanding. This is a lot more like it.

Sounds like you've got past the steep part of the learning curve.
Let’s hope so, it’s definitely a step in the right direction. I thought diluting to clear water would be the way but that method seems to produce a harsher edge with this razor and stone. I’ll have a play around with different slurry consistencies which I’ll use without dilution and see what happens. The edge at the minute is lovely but I want to see what the stone is capable of.

This morning I shaved with my 5/8ths Shuredge which I last honed on my jnat just under trickling water, no slurry. This was the 2nd shave with it.
I wanted to compare yesterday’s Friodur edge which was slurry only with no dilution vs the Shuredge done on running water only with no slurry.
A brilliant close shave today and amazing post shave feel. I couldn’t really discern a difference between the two edges, both were brilliant.

I’ve got 2 very nice jnat edges edges now which I want to keep and shave off for a while, but I also want to keep honing with it and experimenting.
So today I took my ELSINE razor to the jnat.
This razor was made in the 1930’s as far as I can tell, and I found it in an antique shop it a couple of years ago whilst on holiday.
It was grimy and wouldn’t shave arm hair but I bought it for £10 and took it home.
I set my first bevel on this razor and always found it to be a great shaver.
0FE0A55A-F188-488E-882A-A27BFCC1BCC9.jpeg
C06DF49D-5D78-44A8-94BF-FDE71EBC53F2.jpeg

My aim was to try this one on just slurry with no dilution as I had my Friodur, but to make the slurry a little thicker and more copious than last time to see the results.
I spent about 15 mins id say on the stone and I did have to add a tiny drop of water twice as the slurry was drying before I was getting the undercut how I liked it.
There’s just something about sharpening a razor on a natural stone. It’s been a surprising joy for me. Anyway let’s see how this shaves tomorrow.

Hello Jake,

I believe you are overdoing it especially if you are going to the jnat after 1 mic lapping film. The slurry from the JNATs breaks down and you get smaller particle. If you take a very fine jnat to water, the edge sharpness can rival the 0.1mic balsa strop. The edges become a bit crisp. What works for me is leaving slurry and honing. I have seen some photos where someone left shaft build up and that degraded the edge. If you see swarf, it is time to clean the stone and start with a fresh slurry. Leaving slurry on the stone to finish provides a comfortable edge, yet keen enough. Just test your stone and nagura to see how much slurry you need for a nice finish. I leave moderate with mine and I am very happy..

This is very helpful thank you. I never liked the look of the swarf in the slurry and wondered about remaking the slurry. But thought it might put me back to square one, but if the slurry breakdown is faster than I think then yes I’ve probably been overdoing it. Something to try tomorrow👍

This is very helpful thank you. I never liked the look of the swarf in the slurry and wondered about remaking the slurry. But thought it might put me back to square one, but if the slurry breakdown is faster than I think then yes I’ve probably been overdoing it. Something to try tomorrow👍
Jake, from what I read, you are applying pressure as well until the last few strokes. Is that correct? Try light pressure all throughout. Le me know how you get on. Mind the undercutting. It is a very good indicator. Also I strop 60/60 linen/leather after a honing session.

Jake, from what I read, you are applying pressure as well until the last few strokes. Is that correct? Try light pressure all throughout. Le me know how you get on. Mind the undercutting. It is a very good indicator. Also I strop 60/60 linen/leather after a honing session.
Im not sure if I use much pressure, it’s possible. Maybe just enough to feel the stone working but mostly just the weight of the razor. For the last few mins of the hone ive been working with the stone in hand and going very light but it’s definitely an area to watch out for. The elsine razor gave a good shave this morning and was very smooth but I’m going to hone it again tonight and try the advice you’ve kindly given.

04C3B680-E180-4932-B369-D3068D0F5DA5.jpeg

I honed the Elsine again on the stone with a watery, slightly milky slurry. I took care to avoid any pressure. I noticed a change in the slurry feel after about 2 mins, it became silkier. But the toe wasn’t undercutting like the rest of the blade after another couple of minutes or so I refreshed the slightly greying slurry and continued in hand paying close attention to the contact between the stone and the toe. I went a bit longer than Id wanted until the undercut started to behave right and I stopped. though I feel a bit longer may have benefitted but I’ll see what tomorrow brings.
Today’s changes were my using a lot more slurry but still very thin, refreshing the slurry as it started to grey and finishing a little earlier than usual.

When you see that one end is not undercutting well, place a finger there very lightly. Just rest the finger without any pressure on that part and hone. Or you can do a bit of an x stroke. That will get the job done.

I used the Elsine this morning. Noticeably harsher feeling than yesterday which was extremely smooth. The shave was close and the post shave was fine, but yesterday’s edge was better.
I’ll have another try tonight.

I used the Elsine this morning. Noticeably harsher feeling than yesterday which was extremely smooth. The shave was close and the post shave was fine, but yesterday’s edge was better.
I’ll have another try tonight.
Jake, if the other method is working, stick with it. There is no right or wrong. Whatever works, works. If my method didn’t work for you, stick with the other. Just keep experimenting. Might be the difference in the granularity if the stone.

Jake, if the other method is working, stick with it. There is no right or wrong. Whatever works, works. If my method didn’t work for you, stick with the other. Just keep experimenting. Might be the difference in the granularity if the stone.
Thanks Sammie, I appreciate all the advice and there are quite a lot of variables bouncing around so I just have to keep experimenting, but it’s fun and I’m enjoying it. I actually think the advice you gave me was great but I just needed a little longer on the stone. This is what I’ll try tonight

I have been using a progression from the Japan-Tool site that is recommended for razors. The progression recommended is for Shapton Glass 1k, 2k, 6k and jnat. That has worked surprisingly well for me. My understanding is that working the jnat to a plain water finish is not desirable. I have heard that from two sources. So I keep diluting until I get to a very fine slurry and then I finish with ten of the lightest strokes - just gravity for pressure. Well, that seems to work for me. But I understand we must each find our own way.

There’s just something about sharpening a razor on a natural stone. It’s been a surprising joy for me.

Indeed. For me too. Your saga has inspired me to exempt one of my razors from the Method pasted balsa strops, and experiment with shaving directly off of my finishing stone. I tried that some months ago, with indifferent results, but I'm better at honing now, so we'll see.

Top Bottom