What's new

My first hone

Got my first straight today and it was supposed to be shave-ready, but when I did the HHT and tried to shave my arm hairs it clearly wasn't ready. I thought I saw a smile on the blade but when I used my loupe at x30 it looked like it was just some lint. So I decided to get out my 12000 Shapton and give it a few laps then stopped for a few laps. The edge was sharp and looked good under the loupe and the HHT went well. I did a quick shave on my arm and it felt smooth and easily removed the hairs.

So tomorrow I'll try my first shave and see how my touch-up went. If you don't hear from me you can send donations to... 🤣

Thanks, I'll definitely inspect the edge again closely before I shave just to make sure there aren't any burs. I used to play horseshoes and I remember how bad a burr can be lol.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Welcome to the gentlemanly art of straight razor shaving. Remember, chicks big blokes with scares.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Don't get too carried away with the "looks" of the edge. The only edge test that truly matters is the shave test. If the shave is close and comfortable, the edge is perfect for you.

It seemed pretty smooth on the arms when I shaved my arm hair so I think it will be fine. I can certainly see now why people like doing this because it's your edge and your responsibility. When it works it's a bit of an accomplishment.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Pocket knives can shave arm hair. They are pretty useless at shaving a face. The shave test is what counts.

After your technique improved, another good edge test is what is called a "fool's pass". This is shaving against the grain (ATG) on the upper lip.if that is as smooth as ATG on the cheek, you have a great edge. Do NOT try this at home alone.

Pocket knives can shave arm hair. They are pretty useless at shaving a face. The shave test is what counts.

After your technique improved, another good edge test is what is called a "fool's pass". This is shaving against the grain (ATG) on the upper lip.if that is as smooth as ATG on the cheek, you have a great edge. Do NOT try this at home alone.

I've heard about fool's pass, but I'm not really into shaving ATG even when it's safer lol. :scared:

Well, being the infinitely patient person I am I decided to test out the edge on the extended area of my goatee since it's already lopsided so I have a great excuse. I did a complete shave and didn't have any issues with irritation after and only a couple of problem areas with a couple of moles that I cut into lightly. Nothing that the styptic pencil couldn't handle.

Did only one pass most places and a second pass, XTG, where my beard was and it was and it felt really smooth. I had nearly two weeks of growth in most areas so this was a good test and it handled it no problem. I think my edge is pretty good, but I can tell it's not as sharp as the Feather blades, which is not surprising since they are triple ground and very rigid.

I have another straight to try out as well, but I think I'll try this one again tomorrow and see if I'm still happy with the edge.

Really enjoying this art!:straight: :thumbup:

Nice going. This is an art that rewards persistence with increasing pleasure.

As for that mole, I have a couple myself. At first, it seemed impossible not to cut into them every time I shaved. But when I got the concept of "zero pressure" properly into my head, and then made my hands believe it too, it just ceased to become a problem. The razor glides right over them.

Thanks, I'll pay attention to the pressure and try to keep the razor gliding smoothly over the skin. I'm confident I'll eventually figure it out!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Shaving your arm is not a good test for a razor. That is how you test a pocketknife.

Try sweeping the razor over your arm but instead of touching the skin, pass it about 1/4" above the skin. If it lops off the tip of a hair or two at that height it is definitely shave ready. If it gets a bunch of hairs it is rEALLY shave ready. If it gets practically every hair it encounters and does so with absolute silence and without disturbing the base of the hair at all, it is not honing. It is sorcery.

OTOH if it doesn't treetop at all at 1/4" but it treetops at 1/8", it is sorta shave ready. IOW, it will shave sorta okay, probably. If not, then it might shave if you push it but you probably won't like it one bit, even if it will shave your forearm.

Newbie Honing Compendium | Badger & Blade

Shaving your arm is not a good test for a razor. That is how you test a pocketknife.

Try sweeping the razor over your arm but instead of touching the skin, pass it about 1/4" above the skin. If it lops off the tip of a hair or two at that height it is definitely shave ready. If it gets a bunch of hairs it is rEALLY shave ready. If it gets practically every hair it encounters and does so with absolute silence and without disturbing the base of the hair at all, it is not honing. It is sorcery.

OTOH if it doesn't treetop at all at 1/4" but it treetops at 1/8", it is sorta shave ready. IOW, it will shave sorta okay, probably. If not, then it might shave if you push it but you probably won't like it one bit, even if it will shave your forearm.

Newbie Honing Compendium | Badger & Blade

Thanks! I've been reading that thread for a bit and learning a lot. The razor worked well on the HHT test and the shave seemed pretty good, but I need to work on my technique.

Did a bit of tuning on the Bismak today to make sure I had the blade where I wanted it. A few laps on the 12K and then stropped with chromium oxide and then leather seemed to work wonders tonight. I was able to get an HHT5 with it so I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's shave with it!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It is possible to get or better a Feather blade edge on a straight razor.

It requires good diamond pasted balsa stropping and (for me) some luck.

I think my edge is pretty good, but I can tell it's not as sharp as the Feather blades, which is not surprising since they are triple ground and very rigid.

It is possible to get or better a Feather blade edge on a straight razor.

It requires good diamond pasted balsa stropping and (for me) some luck.

I have some diamond paste on order already, I'm going to try to find a local source once things open up again, but I'll have to wait a bit before I can get a diamond strop going.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have some diamond paste on order already, I'm going to try to find a local source once things open up again, but I'll have to wait a bit before I can get a diamond strop going.
While you are waiting, you can put your three balsa strops together. Instructions are here:
Do NOT deviate from the instructions until after you are getting Feather blade type edges.

Top Bottom