What's new

My first home made brush - Koa and Silvertip

It was easy. Just cut a groove, sprinkle in the brass shavings (use whatever you like), add super glue to the shavings to seal them together and to the wood, then carve it down, sand, and wetsand with 3 coats of super glue. Turned out great. It wasn't my idea, but I like it too.

Beautiful brush. Love wooden handles, especially the heavy ones like Koa or Cocobola. Natural handle seems best and the heavy woods hold the brush down in the sink to soak.

Gorgeous. My father in law does wood turning. Had been thinking of asking about turning up a handle. With your example I'm inspired to give it a go :)

Woodworkers love to spread their love of woodcrafting. I posted an add in Craigslist titled "Help a novice woodworker" then in the text described my project and interest in learning how to do it. A couple of cool guys responded and were happy to invite me to work in their shop. I spent about 2 hours learning how to work with a lathe, then another 2 turning and finishing this handle. It was great! I don't think I ever stopped smiling. Now I'm thinking about buying a lathe.

Do it. It's a blast! Total satisfaction shaving this morning. A homemade brush and homemade soap. Doesn't get better than that.

Bought a knot online (e-bay), though I've seen them elsewhere online too. 28mm silvertip for about 25 bucks. Used a two-part mixed epoxy inside the hole and stuffed the knot in there.
Use a small amount though and spread it on the sides with a wooden coffee stirrer. Too much and it will ooze out and get on the hairs.

Woodworkers love to spread their love of woodcrafting. I posted an add in Craigslist titled "Help a novice woodworker" then in the text described my project and interest in learning how to do it. A couple of cool guys responded and were happy to invite me to work in their shop. I spent about 2 hours learning how to work with a lathe, then another 2 turning and finishing this handle. It was great! I don't think I ever stopped smiling. Now I'm thinking about buying a lathe.

Just do it,is a very valid reason the lathe is called the queen of the shop.

Moai:

That's a beautiful brush with a very unique and striking inlay. Very well done. Just don't tell our Hawaiian friends you used Koa for making something other than a ukulele. :biggrin1:

Thank you for sharing and keep up the great work.

Don

Top Bottom