What's new

My first Heljestrand

Just received this lovely little razor.

Thanks to Polarbeard for confirming that this ebay purchase was a good one. It's a Swedish Heljestrand No. 24, 9/16. It was NOS from the early party of the 20th century, around 20's or 30's.

And thanks to Doc226 for giving it a good start. I had the vendor mail it directly to him. He set the bevel, worked it up on some Shaptons and finished it on a Nakayata Kiita for a comfortable jnat edge.

Doc226 encountered a mild imperfection in the grind. As he says:

The bevel on the back side is not even. The grinding was slightly off and it has a very thin bevel in the middle and larger at the toe/heel. Not an issue but there.

Just had a very nice shave. The imperfection in the bevel was not noticeable.

Photo of the edge attached, showing that misty kasumi finish.

Photo of razor as well.

aloha

WIN_20210122_09_58_31_Pro.jpg
IMG_1102.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Beautiful work @Doc226 . And I love the photo of that edge. A machine could never do that. Congrats on a lovely looking shaver my friend.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If I didn't think I am too old and stupid to pick up a new skill set I'd learn how to shave that way. I have a feeling that the closest I'll get to a straight is with disposable blades. My hat is off to you guys!

If I didn't think I am too old and stupid to pick up a new skill set I'd learn how to shave that way. I have a feeling that the closest I'll get to a straight is with disposable blades. My hat is off to you guys!

Well I am old and not too bright and I have used a straight for the last 6 years, give it a try.

If I ever get to the point where I can't learn something - I'll be dead:)

I do have one Swedish blade, a Tornblom. Looking to add a hollow Heljestrand at some point. MK 32 preferrably, but right now outside of what I’m willing to pay. Right now I guess its more probable that I’ll change my mind about what I’m willing to pay than that I’ll find one at my price! :biggrin1:

Top Bottom