What's new

My First Go Around with Black Palm

I will have to revisit my gouge. I haven't used it in a while because I caught the corner and tore a big chunk out of the piece I was turning a while back and have been reluctant to give it another chance. That cuts in a sheer action when used properly if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks Jay,It is all Your Fault ! Your advice when I first started was Very Helpful and the great pictures of your handles you use to post inspired Me to try and get better :)
I used a very sharp Thompson 3/8 Detail Gouge to shape it and it cut beautifully, The palm was a little different just because of potential grain tear out. Love that gouge .
I will have to look into those. I need to replace a 5/8 bowl gouge, but it has to wait until the house is paid off this summer. I might have to get a couple gouges at that point. Did you have to sharpen it often or does it hold the edge?
I am going to have to make Your Gracious Wife a Nice Brush Soon :)
Thank You Chris for the Kind words .
She shaves her legs in the shower, which doesn't tend to be a good environment for wood. But it is really a kind thought.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Thanks Jay,It is all Your Fault ! Your advice when I first started was Very Helpful and the great pictures of your handles you use to post inspired Me to try and get better :)
I used a very sharp Thompson 3/8 Detail Gouge to shape it and it cut beautifully, The palm was a little different just because of potential grain tear out. Love that gouge .

Glad I was of some help and thank you! My 3/8” Sorby gouge is one of my most used tools. I made a lot of miniature birdhouse ornaments this year and decided to “cheat” and do all the shaping with the gouge then a final pass or two with a skew. It leaves a beautiful surface that I can usually start sanding with P320, and little worry of the dreaded skew catch while I’m turning the bulk of it.

Do you start with a roughing gouge?
And thank you for the advice you gave in my thread. Unfortunately I misspoke about something and that thread had to be removed. It was my fault for not being clear on some of the forums rules. So lesson learned.
Glad I was of some help and thank you! My 3/8” Sorby gouge is one of my most used tools. I made a lot of miniature birdhouse ornaments this year and decided to “cheat” and do all the shaping with the gouge then a final pass or two with a skew. It leaves a beautiful surface that I can usually start sanding with P320, and little worry of the dreaded skew catch while I’m turning the bulk of it.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I use a R G only to get the blank cylindrical ,I use a skew for some of the shape also
A negative edge scraper and mostly my Detail gouge. For most brush handles.

Do you start with a roughing gouge?
And thank you for the advice you gave in my thread. Unfortunately I misspoke about something and that thread had to be removed. It was my fault for not being clear on some of the forums rules. So lesson learned.

Pretty much what Graydog said. The roughing gouge is only to get the blank to a cylinder, or if it’s say a 2” diameter round blank I use one to get it down to a smaller size. You can use a skew for roughing blanks under 3” but you should have an Alan Lacer style grind. That’s a bit of a pain for me to do so I don’t bother. If you’re interested in what that is, check out some YT vids.

Thanks guys. I will watch some of the YT vids on those tools and give them a try. Sounds like it should make for alot less hand sanding.

Top Bottom