What's new

My First Go Around with Black Palm

Graydog

Biblical Innards
You make and sell these?

I make them as a Hobby and do not sell them, when I make them it relaxes Me and if I sold them it would be a Job
and If it is a job then it would be work :)
I do give them away thou, I can only have so many Brushes .

I make them as a Hobby and do not sell them, when I make them it relaxes Me and if I sold them it would be a Job
and If it is a job then it would be work :)
I do give them away thou, I can only have so many Brushes .
You could make a pretty good side business with it. Just sell what you make for beer money whenever you feel like it. However, I'm glad you found something you like to do. Absolutely nothing wrong with doing what makes you happy.

Dang Steve, that is my favorite of yours yet. Any palm is difficult to work with to say the least, but one couldn’t tell from looking at that beautiful handle.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Dang Steve, that is my favorite of yours yet. Any palm is difficult to work with to say the least, but one couldn’t tell from looking at that beautiful handle.

Thanks Jay,I like Number two better I actually used the first one to make another 2 handles and changed the shape to something totally different and added some Olive wood
Clay.jpg

Thanks Jay,I like Number two better I actually used the first one to make another 2 handles and changed the shape to something totally different and added some Olive wood View attachment 940826

I like #2 better as well, it’s actually the one I meant was my favorite yet. I like that type of basic shape more than any other. Your cuts looks so smooth and as I mentioned, palm is a tricky bugger. Those fibers just want to tear out. You’ve come a long way man! I need to make a handle soon to get back into the swing of it, it’s been months now. I’ve got too much on my “to do” list though, I need to make some me time somewhere. Keep them coming!

Great contrast with the olivewood too. Two beautiful woods in one brush, very nice. I love the smell of olive when turning, it smells just like a jar of olives when it’s wet. I have a rough turned handle that’s been drying for a few months, maybe I’ll get time to finish it in the coming weeks.

That is shaping up to be 2 awesome looking brushes. I love working with olive wood. It shapes and sands so well.
I really like the contrast in those handles from veary small tight grain to the largest grain I know of.
Was it difficult transitioning between such Polar Opposites?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
That is shaping up to be 2 awesome looking brushes. I love working with olive wood. It shapes and sands so well.
I really like the contrast in those handles from veary small tight grain to the largest grain I know of.
Was it difficult transitioning between such Polar Opposites?

I used a very sharp Thompson Detail Gouge to shape it and it cut beautifully, The palm was a little different just because of potential grain tear out.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I like #2 better as well, it’s actually the one I meant was my favorite yet. I like that type of basic shape more than any other. Your cuts looks so smooth and as I mentioned, palm is a tricky bugger. Those fibers just want to tear out. You’ve come a long way man! I need to make a handle soon to get back into the swing of it, it’s been months now. I’ve got too much on my “to do” list though, I need to make some me time somewhere. Keep them coming!

Great contrast with the olivewood too. Two beautiful woods in one brush, very nice. I love the smell of olive when turning, it smells just like a jar of olives when it’s wet. I have a rough turned handle that’s been drying for a few months, maybe I’ll get time to finish it in the coming weeks.

Thanks Jay,It is all Your Fault ! Your advice when I first started was Very Helpful and the great pictures of your handles you use to post inspired Me to try and get better :)
I used a very sharp Thompson 3/8 Detail Gouge to shape it and it cut beautifully, The palm was a little different just because of potential grain tear out. Love that gouge .

Top Bottom