What's new

My First Go Around with Black Palm

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I just read @GAW9576 s post with his two Amazing looking Brushes
2 brushes
And I have to agree that the Black Palm is a bit of a challenge and He did a wonderful job
Here is my first encounter with Black Palm still on the lathe sanding.
and the other is a blank that I just glued up mixing Marble wood and Black Palm endgrain.
Black Palm2.jpg
Black Palm3.jpg

I usually carve close to final size then sand the rest of the way. ( I don't have the best range of cutting tools) the other thing that makes for a stunning piece is to cut the blank at a 45 degree angle to the grain. This also makes turning a little smoother.
Look forward to seeing the finished product. You do fantastic work.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It is one of those things for me, the more that I look at it the more that I like it. I cannot wait to see the handle with the 2 different woods turned.

I found this picture of a bottle stopper I made going 45 degrees to the grain of the palm. I believe this was red palm but you can see what I ment.
proxy.php

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Both @Graydog and @GAW9576 are phenomenal artists. I don't say gifted, as I think you both work too hard at your craft to not acknowledge the time and effort that went into honing that skill.

Both @Graydog and @GAW9576 are phenomenal artists. I don't say gifted, as I think you both work too hard at your craft to not acknowledge the time and effort that went into honing that skill.
Thank you very much.
But it's turning skills not honing skills.[emoji12]
We do wood "turning". lol

Very nice. The palm may be a bit tricky to work with bout boy is it rewarding when it "turns" out.
Sorry @FarmerTan I couldn't resist.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Very nice. The palm may be a bit tricky to work with bout boy is it rewarding when it "turns" out.
Sorry @FarmerTan I couldn't resist.

I'll bet you are the type of guy that never shops at garage sales because you already have a garage!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
The more I work with it reminds me of Wenge ,and I have worked with it in the past
Sharp ,sharp tools are needed .
Someone told me once that Black Palm is like taking a bunch of drinking straws bundled together and standing them up on end . As you can see the Marble wood has a similar kinda grain .

The more I work with it reminds me of Wenge ,and I have worked with it in the past
Sharp ,sharp tools are needed .
Someone told me once that Black Palm is like taking a bunch of drinking straws bundled together and standing them up on end . As you can see the Marble wood has a similar kinda grain .
I always thought of it as a bunch of toothpicks pressed together. I would like some better tools and a better stone on my sharpener. But in the meantime I get by with what I have.
That's a good one @FarmerTan. Actually I don't have a garage at my house. The problem is transporting the newly acquired garages. And they are usually falsely advertised. Every one I have stopped at the people aren't willing to part with the garage itself, just all the stuff I side.

Top Bottom