What's new

My first Gillette tech

The "fat" handle on my pre-war Tech is also exactly 3 inches long, just like yours. Sorry for the derailment 🤷‍♂️
Good information. It tells me I need to get accustomed to a shorter handle. I think it will be fine after a few shaves. The Baili 191 handle is 4.25 inches. That is closer to a Fusion cartridge handle. So the 3 inch will be an adjustment for sure.

Does more blade exposure necessarily mean more blade contact with skin? Does it mean more aggression? I could feel the blade more with the new Gillette than I do with the Baili 191, but what does that really mean for my shave? Will Derby blades be effective now? Sharper blades more aggressive?

Use alcohol on old beat up, worn out finish gold plated razors only. Any gold plated razor in excellent condition will still be finished with a light lacquer coating that may be damaged by alcohol or volatile solvents.

Good information. It tells me I need to get accustomed to a shorter handle. I think it will be fine after a few shaves. The Baili 191 handle is 4.25 inches. That is closer to a Fusion cartridge handle. So the 3 inch will be an adjustment for sure.
I find there are advantages to a 'shorter' handle length.

You can maintain and control a desired head angle better. With a handle over 3" I tend to readily lose angle, especially in jawline, chin, curves.

The razor I find is more manoeverable, and you have better control of the head. The head does not 'run away'

Shorter handled razors tend to be better-balanced, although colleagues of the long handled persuasion would disagree probably.

Top Bottom