What's new

My first Gillette tech

I wasn't planning to purchase anything until I learned a little more about the various techs and what I should pay etc...
I made an offer ($25 shipped) on a Gillette Tech that appears to be in unused condition.
If I am reading the date code correctly, it is c-4. I'm not sure what that date is yet. I acted on an impulse and didn't expect the seller to accept. I normally do research before I purchase an item.

How do I sterilize it safely?

Wash with nothing more than warm water, dawn dishsoap, and a gentle toothbrush. I would shave after that. I'm no doctor, but there are very few pathogens that would carry over through the decades even if it was used.

For total peace of mind, soak in rubbing alcohol for a few minutes.

Most important: enjoy that awesome purchase!!!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I wasn't planning to purchase anything until I learned a little more about the various techs and what I should pay etc...
I made an offer ($25 shipped) on a Gillette Tech that appears to be in unused condition.
If I am reading the date code correctly, it is c-4. I'm not sure what that date is yet. I acted on an impulse and didn't expect the seller to accept. I normally do research before I purchase an item.

How do I sterilize it safely?
Two minutes in Scrubbing Bubbles (no bleach) ought to do it. Enjoy!

That's pretty cool if you think about it.
I'll post pics as soon as I get it so the date can be verified.
Even if I got the date wrong, it is still a solid purchase. I really look forward to using it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220603-183529_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220603-183529_eBay.jpg
    547.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20220603-183509_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220603-183509_eBay.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20220603-183500_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220603-183500_eBay.jpg
    826.7 KB · Views: 45
Very good condition! It looks like it was used but well-loved.

I hope it brings you great shaves!

I would just shave with it as is. I don't wash vintages anymore if they are not totally gunked up or have obvious staining/residue. I tend to be too impatient. I am washing it, I'm shaving with it :letterk1:

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase. The Tech is a great shaver! I’ve purchased and shined up many vintage Gillettes and here is my method.

1- put a pot of water on the stove and remove just before it is to the point of boiling.

2- remove pot from heat and drop the razor in the hot water for 10 minutes.

3- remove razor with tongs, set the parts in the sink and put some dawn dish soap on the plate, cap and handle.

4- take a soft toothbrush and gently scrub the parts.

5- rinse, dry and shave with that wonderful tool!

Boiling water is not need for cleaning anything shave related.

Toothbrush with some mild dish soap and warm tap water is all that is needed.
I definitely agree with that statement. I would never place a razor in boiling water. I’ve seen some great razors ruined that way. To make a vintage razor look it’s best the very hot water will loosen any and all gunk. The dish soap and brush bring it to a beautiful shine.

Top Bottom