What's new

My first Gillette Adjustable!

I just got it in the mail as the result of an ebay auction win... I can't wait to get home and sterilize it in preparation for its maiden voyage (I suppose I ought to think of as a widder woman, actually, as it's been around the block a time or two)!

I have a Merkur HD that I've been using for a month, but I'm hoping that the adjustable will give me a bit more control and predictability in the uppor lip area... I had a rough shave on Wednesday as the head got a little loose and took out a divot.

Anyway, I can't wait to give it a spin! Any pointers?

Josh

I've got one winging it's way from Germany (I hope). Apparently it's an unused Fatboy, we'll see wen it gets here. It'll be interesting to se how differently they shave compered to the Merkurs (the only DE razors I've shaved with).

Thanks, James; I don't want any quick cuts (I needed double alum and styptic after that last assault on my upper lip!)

Josh

yasuo200365 said:
4 +/- 1 is the optimum setting.

Regards
John

I concur- you can always turn it up but its tough to put the skin back on your face !:eek:
Do you know what year the razor was made?
Good luck
Jim

I've been using mine for about an week now and I am very pleased. I agree with the 4 - 5 range setting. I like to dial back to 1-2 for touch ups. IMO I think that the Gillette is a bit more forgiving. On the other hand I think that the HD can really give a BBS.

After hot shower and facial scrub (Dove exfoliant), I popped a merkur blade into my freshly cleaned Gillette Adjustable, and prepped with Pacific Shave Oil (I've been using it as a pre-shave, though I recently got some T&S pre shave oil that I hope to be trying soon). Next:

T&H 1805 cream

N-S on setting 3. Left some stubble, so I did S-N on 4, which seemed to do the trick. Finally, E-W on 4.

After that, I needed the alum block, due the learning curve on a new razor :smile:

Then,
Thayer's Rose WH
Styptic (cf. "learning curve," supra)
Musgo A/S
GFT Coral SF

Thoughts:
I got the smoothest upper lip shave, without cuts, since I've begun wetshaving. Overall, I think that as I get the hang of this, I'll prefer this to my Merkur HD, though I do wonder if one of the Merkur adjustables might not be better still. I'll be on the lookout for a prettier Gillette, as this is a banged up one, but I'm pleased for the time being!

:w00t:

Josh

misterjoshua said:
After hot shower and facial scrub (Dove exfoliant), I popped a merkur blade into my freshly cleaned Gillette Adjustable, and prepped with Pacific Shave Oil (I've been using it as a pre-shave, though I recently got some T&S pre shave oil that I hope to be trying soon). Next:

T&H 1805 cream

N-S on setting 3. Left some stubble, so I did S-N on 4, which seemed to do the trick. Finally, E-W on 4.

After that, I needed the alum block, due the learning curve on a new razor :smile:

Then,
Thayer's Rose WH
Styptic (cf. "learning curve," supra)
Musgo A/S
GFT Coral SF

Thoughts:
I got the smoothest upper lip shave, without cuts, since I've begun wetshaving. Overall, I think that as I get the hang of this, I'll prefer this to my Merkur HD, though I do wonder if one of the Merkur adjustables might not be better still. I'll be on the lookout for a prettier Gillette, as this is a banged up one, but I'm pleased for the time being!

:w00t:

Josh

Sounds excellent, well done. I hope my questoin doesn't throw a spanner in the works...

Do you exfoliate your whole face or just the areas that you don't shave? I'm wondering if you really need the shaving oil. I wet my face but never wash it on the basis that I want to leave the natural oils in place before I shave, I also don't really want to gunge up my brushes with oil.

I used to regularly get cuts and nicks on my upper lip until I started doing the 4-pass shave. By the time I get to the S-N pass, the stubble has been reduced so that I have no more problems with that pass.

misterjoshua said:
Hmm... I exfoliate the whole thing. Does the oil ruin the brushes, I wonder?

Josh

I don't know if it ruins brushes but oil tends to repel water and I'd prefer to keep my brushes away from substances with that property.

misterjoshua said:
Hmm... I exfoliate the whole thing. Does the oil ruin the brushes, I wonder?

Josh

One of our members, Richard, uses PSO before each pass, and has for some time. No issues with the brushes. I'm sure he will chime in on this, as I believe he alone could keep PSO in business!

Randy

This is the tradeoff of this website... sure, I wind up wanting to buy more stuff, but I get great shave tips. That one should have been obvious... This morning I dialed the razor up to 5, oiled, shaved N-S, oiled again and shaved S-N. Best shave yet, fewer cuts (which may have been due to shaving off yesterday's cuts! :eek: ... )

Thanks, Randy!

Josh

Top Bottom