What's new

My first Gem purchases

I just purchased my first Gem razors at what I thought was a great price. I’m still away and haven’t had time to clean them but did some initial research. I purchased a Micromatic Gen 1 clogproof which appears to be in excellent condition and a MMOC in what I thought was in excellent condition. After researching subsequent to the $10 purchase in the wild I found a stock picture with a center nub. Mine is flat. Can this razor be used?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I just purchased my first Gem razors at what I thought was a great price. I’m still away and haven’t had time to clean them but did some initial research. I purchased a Micromatic Gen 1 clogproof which appears to be in excellent condition and a MMOC in what I thought was in excellent condition. After researching subsequent to the $10 purchase in the wild I found a stock picture with a center nub. Mine is flat. Can this razor be used?
A picture would of been nice to understand your concern better.
I believe you have a Micromatic open comb razor is what is we called a button less model. They are usually all brass construction and where built from 1930-32 before they introduced the Gem double edge blades. Because the new double edge blades had no spline when they where introduced so all new Gem razor models have added buttons or shims to raise the blade off the base plate at a slight angle like a spline blade would. The center nub is to help locate the blade in the center of the base plate quickly mostly. If some one ground the center blade locating nub off for what ever reason I think the razor it is still functional but the blade might have to be moved manually up against the blade stops or tweaked a little so you can tighten the blade properly. The way a Micromatic tightens the blade is by rack and pinion and the tip cap when it tightens it pushes the blade forward into the blade stops. Check to make sure your blade stops are good also before using.
(L to R) Regular Micromatic OC with button shims 1933-41...........................Button less Micromatic OC 1930-32
comparing two MMOC (2).jpg

Gem Micromatic double edge blades!
692a92a2a7dfd35d7dbfd52fcd12a2a5 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
A picture would of been nice to understand your concern better.
I believe you have a Micromatic open comb razor is what is we called a button less model. They are usually all brass construction and where built from 1930-32 before they introduced the Gem double edge blades. Because the new double edge blades had no spline when they where introduced so all new Gem razor models have added buttons or shims to raise the blade off the base plate at a slight angle like a spline blade would. The center nub is to help locate the blade in the center of the base plate quickly mostly. If some one ground the center blade locating nub off for what ever reason I think the razor it is still functional but the blade might have to be moved manually up against the blade stops or tweaked a little so you can tighten the blade properly. The way a Micromatic tightens the blade is by rack and pinion and the tip cap when it tightens it pushes the blade forward into the blade stops. Check to make sure your blade stops are good also before using.
(L to R) Regular Micromatic OC with button shims 1933-41...........................Button less Micromatic OC 1930-32
View attachment 1455856

Gem Micromatic double edge blades!
View attachment 1455858
Have some great shaves!
Pictures from the hotel room, pre-cleaning.
E4502D90-BFCD-4675-908F-49976E66BEC3.jpeg
68617BBF-6656-49F3-BF64-EDBAA847E9A8.jpeg

Ron R

Pictures from the hotel room, pre-cleaning.
View attachment 1455901View attachment 1455902
For what ever reason the previous owner ground the blade centering nub off, if you have a blade and place it in the chamber & snug it down lightly then turn the razor side ways and tighten it the rest of the way you will see the top cap advance blade to the blade stops. It is a unique system that Gem designed and that blade is held in tightly under some pressure. Sort of reminds me of the Gillette slim & Fatboy snug the blade and turn about a quarter turn to lock the blade in.
By the way Gem was the first mass produced TTO razor in the world and about 4 years ahead of Gillette's first TTO razor to market. Gillette tried to slow Gem's advanced TTO razor in court from my limited research with no luck (Two totally different razor platforms).

Last edited:

Ron R

Maybe he modified it to use DE blades. I wonder if that worked?
I'm not sure if I have ever heard of a DE blade working in a Micromatic, but as you already might know I have been successful using a injector blade in a Micromatic.
I have a modified Kai Protouch blade in my Micromatic and it captures and holds the blade secure and gave some great shaves as I experiment with different razor concepts sometimes. The Kai Protouch is one of the best blades ever made and also works well in my Shavette clone I mainly bought them for. Some fellows who have sensitive skin can modify a Kai protouch or Feather pro guard to work also in some Schick injectors also.
Kai Protouch in a Gem Micromatic 3.jpg

Schick adjustable with a Protouch blade installed, not a big problem modifying a blade and installing it. Also this blade is best blade for folks who can not afford a nick or serious weepers because of medications they are taking.
Schick injector M3 adjustable razor, with a Kai protouch  blade. MFG 1970-72 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Bumpless MMOCs are first generation MMs. The bumps were added to the MMs when GEM came out with the reversible blades - the bumps preserved the angle that would otherwise have been lost due the lack of a spine on the reversibles. The bumpless MMOC will work fine with any modern Gem blade because those are true SE blades with a spine.

Bear in mind that the spines were thicker back in the '30s, so the angle will be juuuuuust a tad bit more shallow - that may explain the reputation the MMOC has for being uber-agressive.

Last edited:
After 8 shaves, 4 with the Clog-Pruf and 4 with the MMOC, I am satisfied with my purchases. Based on the advice received, I purchased Gem SS PTFE blades.

The MMOC seemed more efficient at first without feeling more aggressive. (I started with the Clog-Pruf for 3 daily shaves, then the MMOC for the next 4 and then the Clog-Pruf again today. The very first shave caused a few weepers but none in the next seven.

Today‘s shave with the Clog-Pruf was probably the closest yet, but all have been DFS to BBS. However none have been as close as my Blackbird SB. The Blackbird will remain my daily driver but with the current blade still going strong and 99 more in reserve, the Gem MMs will see more use.

I change my DE blades every 4 shaves and am amazed that I now have 8 shaves on a single edge which with my simple math gives this blade at least a 4 times longer life per edge.

I’m glad I found the razors and especially grateful for the good advice. With my DE razors, I generally shave steep and knowing to go shallow was so important. As a final note, the handles on these two razors are the most similar to the Blackbird handle which had become my favorite.

Ron R

After 8 shaves, 4 with the Clog-Pruf and 4 with the MMOC, I am satisfied with my purchases. Based on the advice received, I purchased Gem SS PTFE blades.

The MMOC seemed more efficient at first without feeling more aggressive. (I started with the Clog-Pruf for 3 daily shaves, then the MMOC for the next 4 and then the Clog-Pruf again today. The very first shave caused a few weepers but none in the next seven.

Today‘s shave with the Clog-Pruf was probably the closest yet, but all have been DFS to BBS. However none have been as close as my Blackbird SB. The Blackbird will remain my daily driver but with the current blade still going strong and 99 more in reserve, the Gem MMs will see more use.

I change my DE blades every 4 shaves and am amazed that I now have 8 shaves on a single edge which with my simple math gives this blade at least a 4 times longer life per edge.

I’m glad I found the razors and especially grateful for the good advice. With my DE razors, I generally shave steep and knowing to go shallow was so important. As a final note, the handles on these two razors are the most similar to the Blackbird handle which had become my favorite.
Nice write up on your experiences with the Gem Micromatic razors you recently bought. It is true that the Gem PTFE blade does last longer than most DE blades for comfort I have also discovered through years of use. If you get a chance to use a Gem 1912 model of razor with the closed comb that is also a great mid range razor I have used many times also.:cuppa:

Top Bottom