What's new

My first full shaving cream shave!

I've been using Stirling Soaps thus far in my shave journey almost exclusively. I took a slight Barrister & Mann detour, and have tried Arko. I have a tub of TOBS Sandalwood cream. As much as I like sandalwood scents, I do not like the scent of TOBS by itself. Mixed with Stirling soap it's OK.

Enter Proraso.

I got in a tube of Proraso Red and White this week, and I tried the Red tonight. Oh man. I'm used to having to work a little bit with lathering soap with hard water. The Proraso was a change of pace! It whipped up super easy. The consistency was a little bit better than I had been getting with soaps, but not by a ton.

The shave itself was done with a Blue Tip paired with a Feather for two days of mild growth. Cushion from the lather was really good, residual slickness was a little less than Stirling. That could also be attributed to needing a touch more water, though. No dragging, no clogging, etc. It was one of my better shaves, and I really enjoy the scent of the Red.

Overall, my first full shave with a shaving cream has been marked in my book as a success!

I've been using Stirling Soaps thus far in my shave journey almost exclusively. I took a slight Barrister & Mann detour, and have tried Arko. I have a tub of TOBS Sandalwood cream. As much as I like sandalwood scents, I do not like the scent of TOBS by itself. Mixed with Stirling soap it's OK.

Enter Proraso.

I got in a tube of Proraso Red and White this week, and I tried the Red tonight. Oh man. I'm used to having to work a little bit with lathering soap with hard water. The Proraso was a change of pace! It whipped up super easy. The consistency was a little bit better than I had been getting with soaps, but not by a ton.

The shave itself was done with a Blue Tip paired with a Feather for two days of mild growth. Cushion from the lather was really good, residual slickness was a little less than Stirling. That could also be attributed to needing a touch more water, though. No dragging, no clogging, etc. It was one of my better shaves, and I really enjoy the scent of the Red.

Overall, my first full shave with a shaving cream has been marked in my book as a success!

FWIW, in my opinion, the Proraso Red Creme is THE closest to the original Old Spice scent that I've ever found! I finally gave up on the Proraso soap after they changed formulas, but I still like the creme in the tube A LOT!!!! It
is always in my travel kit because the tube take up less room than a tub of any of the soaps, and I love the smell
and the shave I get. I feel that it provides plenty of cushion and slickness, but I don't have hard water to contend with. As far as the harder soaps, I've moved on to Stirling (several scents), but I'll always have the Proraso creme on hand....!

Hi Todd, thanks for the post and great to hear you had such a great shave.

I've only tried the Proraso White puck so far. I liked the scent, the menthol cooling of the skin and it had great cushioning. It might even have been a bit too cushioned (don't know if anyone else had that experience?).
I also experienced the lack of slickness (water is also very hard here). I tend to use quite wet lathers, especially on subsequent passes, adding water each pass to trade cushioning for slickness; for me, this means I get closer without irritation. With Proraso I only got so far unfortunately due to lack of lubrication.

So I find it very cool to hear that you solved it by mixing soaps: An interesting concept! I hadn't thought of that, so thanks for sharing that idea:) I suppose with creams, you can even add all kinds of custom ingredients as well. Food for thought!

I've only tried the Proraso White puck so far. I liked the scent, the menthol cooling of the skin and it had great cushioning. It might even have been a bit too cushioned (don't know if anyone else had that experience?).
I also experienced the lack of slickness (water is also very hard here). I tend to use quite wet lathers, especially on subsequent passes, adding water each pass to trade cushioning for slickness; for me, this means I get closer without irritation. With Proraso I only got so far unfortunately due to lack of lubrication.

So I find it very cool to hear that you solved it by mixing soaps: An interesting concept! I hadn't thought of that, so thanks for sharing that idea:) I suppose with creams, you can even add all kinds of custom ingredients as well. Food for thought!
Proraso White croap plus Gillette "Pure" cream is an excellent pairing.
I do not like the scent of Proraso White by itself at all, but the (meh) scent of Pure moderates it somehow to a far more interesting scent, and improves the slickness.
I call it my "Casper Blend", because of the mostly white tub and tube.
proxy.php

Top Bottom