What's new

My first full pipe restorations

So last year I bought a bunch of old eBay pipes and some tools with intentions of restoring them...then did nothing for a year. But now that school is back in session I need something to do while procrastinating homework...so I bought a buffer and some dye and got to work.

The first is a Dr. Grabow that was used to the point the stem was clogged up. Oh man I love cleaning those up! Getting all that gunk out feels great. Unfortunately it has a big burn mark near the rim, but oh well. Reamed, cleaned, cleaned the stem, sanded the old stain off, stained it with Ox Blood color and buffed. First picture is before stain, second is after the stain, and the third is after the buff. Really like this one.
$9735428485_53373e0f40_z.jpg
$9735610367_6f60105993_z.jpg
$9766649201_68f4541b84_z.jpg
Looks better in person, its hard to get good pictures in a lightbox.

This Bing's favorite just needed a quick clean and buff. Before & after.
$IMG_20121018_195051_zps7424006d.jpg
$9766850715_eebde6543b_z.jpg

I'm pretty happy with them and I've got 10-15 more pipes on the way to work on! Really love bringing new life into old things, it's a great hobby.

I do have a couple questions for you guys that restore pipes, maybe you can help me out?
1. On pipes with metal bands, do you use metal polish on the band first, then buff the band just like the regular pipe?
2. How can you get bite marks out of the stem?
3. When restaining a pipe, how do I make the fills less noticeable? They're pretty obvious on the two pipes above in person.​

back in session I need something to do while procrastinating homework...so I bought a buffer and some dye and got to work.
I do have a couple questions for you guys that restore pipes, maybe you can help me out?
1. On pipes with metal bands, do you use metal polish on the band first, then buff the band just like the regular pipe?
2. How can you get bite marks out of the stem?
3. When restaining a pipe, how do I make the fills less noticeable? They're pretty obvious on the two pipes above in person.​

Procrastinating, eh? The force is strong in this one! Sweet work!

Not sure there is a way to get the bite marks out. As for the fills, it's a vintage pipe, embrace it as such. If you do a good enough job on the stain, the non-discerning eye won't catch it. And anyone knowledgeable enough to catch it won't mind them and will just compliment your restoration skills!

Edit: I stand corrected on stems: check out this link: http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/briar-pipe-repairs-home-remedies/ (scroll down towards the middle for "removing teeth marks"...doesn't sound easy though...)

Last edited:
I can't help with #1 or 3 but for #2 Derrick gave me a great suggestion of using a Mr Clean pad. My guess it lapping film or fine grit would work too probably something in the thousand range.

by the way. NICE JOB!

Last edited:
Top Bottom