What's new

My First Fountain Pen: Pilot Metropolitan... Fine or Medium?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I have the Metro in fine. It writes quite a bit narrower than a “normal” ballpoint. I mostly use it for writing notes in book margins.

For your first pen, I would recommend the medium, unless you have really small handwriting, plan to write mostly on non-fountain pen friendly paper (Moleskine, copy paper, etc), or need a really fine line for drawing/drafting/etc.
I would suggest the same, medium will be a smoother experience. Some people new to fountain pens find the finer nibs "scratchy" until their technique settles.

The Pilot Metro is an excellent pen, but its not the screaming deal it was a couple years ago when you could get it for $10. I would recommend sticking with the first one for a while, at least a couple weeks, then deciding what you do and don't like about it. If its perfect, than congratulations. But you might find the grip is too narrow, or body to short to use unposted, or you would rather have a screwdown instead of click-on cap, or on and on. Then, you might want to look for a second pen with the features and nib size you think you'll like. I would also point out that other pens, such as the afore-mentioned Safari, are much easier to swap nibs. Though Pilot does make a great steel nib. Anyway, just a few thoughts. But if you want to spend your money acquiring Metros with every conceivable nib and color, please knock yourself out. We all enjoy the hobby our own way.

BTW, the Metro's aerometric converter is probably my favorite feature of the pen. Holds a good amount of ink and is SUPER easy to clean. It is perfect for projects where you want to change inks a lot and/or don't need to worry too much about monitoring the ink level, like calligraphy or writing greeting cards. I wish it wasn't proprietary and could fit on my other C/C pens. Guess I need another Pilot.
John's giving, as usual, some great advice here. For me, I've given away my Metropolitan as it was just a little on the heavy side and the grip felt a bit awkward. Glad I didn't buy a couple of them before I used the one for a good period of time. BTW, the person I gave it to just adores the pen, she's very happy with it.

Thanks for all the helpful info everyone!

My Metro (med. nib) arrived today and I’ve been writing/drawing like crazy. I’m happy to report it’s super smooth and I’m glad I went with the medium nib!

I’m using a cartridge right now, but would like to order a good bottle of ink for it. Any recommendations (preferably something I could snag off Amazon)? Is Waterman a good ink for my Metro?

Thanks

I can't comment on your pen. My first fountain pen was a Lamy Safari. I now have many versions of it. I also have a Waterman Preface. My favorite, though, is the Pilot Vanishing Point (I have both the Pilot and its precursor, Namiki). I always prefer fine(r) points in writing instruments, fountain, pencil, rollerball, gel, etc. But that's me. Pilot is a great brand! Congrats on your new pen!! Now explore the rabbit hole of inks :)

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Thanks for all the helpful info everyone!

My Metro (med. nib) arrived today and I’ve been writing/drawing like crazy. I’m happy to report it’s super smooth and I’m glad I went with the medium nib!

I’m using a cartridge right now, but would like to order a good bottle of ink for it. Any recommendations (preferably something I could snag off Amazon)? Is Waterman a good ink for my Metro?

Thanks
Oh man, brother! Ink is an even bigger, deeper rabbit hole than pens. There are literally hundreds of awesome inks in every conceivable color, with different properties like permanence, color-changing, shading, sheening, even sparkling.

But! To keep things simple, may I suggest a bottle of Pilot Iroshizuku ink in the color of your choice as the perfect compliment to your Pilot pen. The ink is wonderful. The bottles are incredibly classy - an artful addition to any desk. I have, and enjoy, Asa Gao (Morning Glory), a beautiful everyday sort of blue with a little extra somethin', somethin'. But if blue is too pedestrian, you gotta see Yama-Budo (Crimson Glory Vine)...

P.S. Waterman inks are great too. Waterman Serenity Blue, in particular, has a HUGE following; many believe it to The One Ink to Rule Them All. I have also used Serenity Blue quite a bit. Its a beautiful everyday sort of blue, but without the extra sometin', somethin' in Asa Gao.

Basic Black and Blue ink by Pilot from Amazon at 11 ish shipped is perfectly fine.

I am also a big fan of Lamy inks. They work well in every brand of pen I have tried them in (Lamy, Pilot, Parker, Pelikan, Sheaffer, Easterbrook and Moonman. The bottle is made such that you can get the very last drop of ink out easily and teh bootle comes with an integrated roll of blotter paper TO CLEAN UP THE NIB AFTER REFILING THE PEN ETC. Great design!!! 11ish shipped.

Finally, the higher end Pilot inks mentioned above are very nice as well.

tankerjohn

@tankerjohn - are you saying the Asa Gao has "je ne sais quois"? :D
Yeah, you might say that. If I were to try to put it in words, Asa Gao just seems to flow a little better, go on a little richer, pop off the page a little brighter, behave a little better. It’s not the perfect ink. It doesn’t really shade or sheen, and I kinda wish it was darker. But it’s really, really good.

tankerjohn

Just got my first Ahab yesterday. It is wet! Using Apache sunset, man does it feather if you flex it.
I’m sure that’s a combo of the nib and the ink. What paper are you using? Give Rhodia/Clarefontaine a try. That should eliminate the feathering.

Copy paper, notebook paper. The Ahab is teaching me how to write with it! The ink looks amazing, but really bleeds on common paper. Just as a side note, my Noodler's Apache sunset is orange, not yellow, as some people have reported on Youtube. I ran the same ink through a Monteverde Monza, using both the flex (ha-not) and fine, and did not get the separation of color as the Ahab does.

tankerjohn

Copy paper, notebook paper. The Ahab is teaching me how to write with it! The ink looks amazing, but really bleeds on common paper. Just as a side note, my Noodler's Apache sunset is orange, not yellow, as some people have reported on Youtube. I ran the same ink through a Monteverde Monza, using both the flex (ha-not) and fine, and did not get the separation of color as the Ahab does.
Cool. Noodlers is all handmade by one dude, so there will be variations between batches.

Japanese nibs tend to run a bit finer than western nibs; a lot of people find Japanese Fs too fine. It's probably best to start out with a Pilot M nib.
Exactly. A Japanese medium is usually kinda MF. I wonder if it's because they have to write those intricate Kanjis.
Wise to have gone with a Medium unless you really need something very fine. I find fines a bit scratchy & not as fun to write with.

tankerjohn

Exactly. A Japanese medium is usually kinda MF. I wonder if it's because they have to write those intricate Kanjis.
Yes, exactly. Also, back in the day, the Japanese commonly corresponded with postcards, which encouraged them to write small to fit everything in. That’s what Pilot’s “posting” nib was originally for.

The Ahab Flex is a great pen. It is not good in the school setting as I tend to bang pens around. Each time I do, I get drops on the barrel, then on my hands, desk etc. I think I will replace it with a Medium or Fine. Also, I need a non-feathering ink for the type of paper I write on at school. Baystate Blue, Heart of Darkness perhaps?

tankerjohn

The Ahab Flex is a great pen. It is not good in the school setting as I tend to bang pens around. Each time I do, I get drops on the barrel, then on my hands, desk etc. I think I will replace it with a Medium or Fine. Also, I need a non-feathering ink for the type of paper I write on at school. Baystate Blue, Heart of Darkness perhaps?
If your pen is leaking ink, I would surely avoid Bay State Blue.

I plan to get a different nib, like a #6 fine. The flex is just too wet. I did NOT set the feed, just used it right out of the box. Today, I am using a Monteverde Monza with a "flex" (ha), and it is not wet at all. In fact it starves. Using Pelican Violet...an awesome purple. The first week I had my Metropolitan, it flipped out of my fingers, took a header, and ruined the nib.

Top Bottom