What's new

My first Fatip!

Greetings and salutations fine gents of the B&B community! Long time visitor, first time poster. Thank you all for accepting me into your fine community!

So I recently got me a Fatip Piccolo Nickel OC… My first Fatip!

Having read numerous treads praising this razor/brand for its outstanding shaving qualities, many of them from members whose opinions I’ve come to hold in the highest of regards, I was very eager and extremely excited to try this razor.

Having also read many threads pointing to the issue of blade alignment, the first thing I did upon unboxing my new razor was to examine the blade fit. I was very happy to discover that the blade fit was pretty tight, that it had very little to no play at all and that the blade seemed pretty well aligned with the base and the top cap (at least to these old, tired eyes). So all is well then? Well, not quite I’m afraid I must report... Once I assembled the razor, the blade appeared to be noticeably off-center, well aligned but not evenly centered (I took some pictures that I hope will help illustrate what I’m trying to say).

Who trusts these old, tired eyes anyway? Off to the shave we go! I really wanted to like this razor, such a beautiful little piece of kit!

It was not a good shave (to put it mildly). Now, I’m not willing the blame the razor 100% just quite yet, it was my first shave with it and I know better than to judge a razor by a single shave (especially if it is the first one). At this point I’m willing to distribute the blame 50-50 (hmm, maybe I’m being too generous with myself...)

I got irritation galore, razor burn extravaganza, weepers everywhere and at the end I looked like the red villain from the old Iron Man comics (sorry, I forget his name). It was that bad. I had completely forgotten how much Alum could sting!!! I wasn’t even mad, I was actually ashamed of myself! How could you screw things up this badly, I kept asking medumbself... And I could definitively tell that the razor was more aggressive (by quite a lot) on one side!

On the positive side, I did get a very close shave for sure, BBS the whole nine yards!

Anyways, as you might have guessed by now, I did manage to survive the ordeal (to shave another day!) and I’m still willing to give this cute little razor another go, only not before a week or two though!

Maybe I should just treat it as an SE? Lol!

Anyhow, with nothing else to report, I’ll sign-off now... You all have yourselves the finest of days!

Peg

Attachments

• Fatip 1.jpg
    Fatip 1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
  • Fatip 2.jpg
    Fatip 2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 65
  • Fatip 3.jpg
    Fatip 3.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 62
  • Fatip 4.jpg
    Fatip 4.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 57
  • Fatip 5.jpg
    Fatip 5.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 55
I have 3 on rotation at the moment, an ATT Aluminum Calypso H2 (my fiercest razor), a Muhle R41 and an Edwin Jagger DE3D (my mildest but still efficient, I feel)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Cap in palm or on a towel, place the blade on the cap, place the base on the cap, screw on the handle, verify blade alignment.

If it's off, start from scratch and try again. If still off, loosen the handle just enough and, WITH GREAT CARE, manually pivot the blade using the blade tab until everything is lined up.

Cap in palm or on a towel, place the blade on the cap, place the base on the cap, screw on the handle, verify blade alignment.

If it's off, start from scratch and try again. If still off, loosen the handle just enough and, WITH GREAT CARE, manually pivot the blade using the blade tab until everything is lined up.

Thank you very much for your advice. I will follow your instructions and try to get it right the next time around. Have a great day!

I do remember trying to manually center de blade, but maybe I didn't loosen the handle enough... I'll play with razor some more when I get back home tonight

I got irritation galore, razor burn extravaganza, weepers everywhere and at the end I looked like the red villain from the old Iron Man comics (sorry, I forget his name). It was that bad.

Sounds like my experience with the Piccolo. And with so many people singing the praised of Fatip, I couldn't understand it.

Then I tried a steep angle and got a comfortable, nick-free shave. If you resolve your blade centering issue, give it a try.

100%

I use/like Astra SPs. Once in awhile I get a blade that doesn't automatically center up. Blade actually in head at a slight angle. Same on vintage NOS USA too although really rare. Tolerances are just that and sometimes they are off.

I rarely have to verify blade alignment/centering with my other razors... But it's not like I didn't know already that this has to be done with most Fatips... So I own this one

Sounds like my experience with the Piccolo. And with so many people singing the praised of Fatip, I couldn't understand it.

Then I tried a steep angle and got a comfortable, nick-free shave. If you resolve your blade centering issue, give it a try.

Oh I will! Nt ready to give up after a single shave and I really like the little thing! I'll be more careful in loading the blade next time and just be more careful... I'm sure my next shave with it will be much better (I can hardly be worst, lol!)

As others have said, the blade alignment can be finicky. Make sure you confirm it before your shave. My shaves with the Piccolo have been wonderful so it is possible to get great shaves with those.

I hope to have much better news after my second shave... Thank you all guys for your advice and tips!

Top Bottom