What's new

My first ever ready!

Afternoon all,

I have been wanting to finish up my first restore for almost 2 weeks now, but it seems lots got in the way, and then I was waiting for my knot.

Long story short, picked this Ever Ready 200T up on ebay for about $2.50 shipped. Drilled out the old knot, dremeled out any remaining flash, and then proceeded to fill the handle with epoxy. I didn't want it to be too light, so I threw in BB's from a bb gun and let it sit. Since I had some time before my knot arrived, I polished it up using a couple different products so I could see what worked best. (Meguiars PlastX, Flitz & a Novus plastic polish kit)

After about a week the horrible scent went away. It left me with a great shelf to work with ~13mm into the handle. I made my measurements and ended up ordering a knot from TGN. A nice 22mm Finest Badger, Fan with extra hair. I got lucky when I received it because I was wanting to set it up with a 50mm loft. I had my way EXACTLY. The knot ended up being 63mm exactly from base to tip. At that depth it's got a decent backbone, but is SOOOO insanely soft. It's perfect.

Anyways, not too bad for my first run. I have a nice Lucite handled Ever ready waiting on a knot now.

So without any further wait, here's my first try. (Sorry the picture isn't the best, took it real quick before running out the door earlier.)

My only regret is I didn't have a nicer handle to put this AWESOME knot into. But it was a first go around, so I went with it.

$200t-2.jpg

Last edited:
Afternoon all,

I have been wanting to finish up my first restore for almost 2 weeks now, but it seems lots got in the way, and then I was waiting for my knot.

Long story short, picked this Ever Ready 200T up on ebay for about $2.50 shipped. Drilled out the old knot, dremeled out any remaining flash, and then proceeded to fill the handle with epoxy. I didn't want it to be too light, so I threw in BB's from a bb gun and let it sit. Since I had some time before my knot arrived, I polished it up using a couple different products so I could see what worked best. (Meguiars PlastX, Flitz & a Novus plastic polish kit)

After about a week the horrible scent went away. It left me with a great shelf to work with ~13mm into the handle. I made my measurements and ended up ordering a knot from TGN. A nice 22mm Finest Badger, Fan with extra hair. I got lucky when I received it because I was wanting to set it up with a 50mm loft. I had my way EXACTLY. The knot ended up being 63mm exactly from base to tip. At that depth it's got a decent backbone, but is SOOOO insanely soft. It's perfect.

Anyways, not too bad for my first run. I have a nice Lucite handled Ever ready waiting on a knot now.

So without any further wait, here's my first try. (Sorry the picture isn't the best, took it real quick before running out the door earlier.)

My only regret is I didn't have a nicer handle to put this AWESOME knot into. But it was a first go around, so I went with it.

View attachment 256191

Good work! Enjoy!

Absolutely! It's in use right now (Girlfriend) so I'll see what I can do when she's done. (She wants to claim ownership of the brush now, lol)

Amazing brush. The knot is perfect for the handle in terms of length, backbone and soft tips. Made some AMAZING lather from MJ Soaps Maple Cream from what I saw the gf using.

Absolutely! It's in use right now (Girlfriend) so I'll see what I can do when she's done. (She wants to claim ownership of the brush now, lol)

Sounds like a good excuse to get another handle more to your liking with another TGN Finest knot in there, doesn't it? I'm looking for a downside here, but I'm just not seeing it! :thumbup: Welcome to the TGN Finest Fan Club! A heck of a knot for a heck of a good price.

Looks great! I have the same handle and haven't put a knot in it yet. Some day I'll join the ranks of you fine gentlemen.

Sounds like a good excuse to get another handle more to your liking with another TGN Finest knot in there, doesn't it? I'm looking for a downside here, but I'm just not seeing it! :thumbup: Welcome to the TGN Finest Fan Club! A heck of a knot for a heck of a good price.

Klop, it was so easy I'll probably be on a constant look out for new handles! I can see me getting into trouble having too many, lol.

Mike:

Great job! +1 on the post bloom photos.

Enjoy your brush (if you get it back) and enjoy your shaves.

Don

Don, Thanks a bunch! Luckily we live together so it's more a matter of being able to use it. ;)

Looks great! I have the same handle and haven't put a knot in it yet. Some day I'll join the ranks of you fine gentlemen.

Gene, it's an awesome handle to start with. VERY easy to learn on. No need to rush but trust me when I say it's easy enough to not want to wait too long.

As for new pictures. It's still a little wet but, here's a few I took real quick. My girlfriend reported a little shedding, but I figure that's normal with a new knot. Hopefully that doesn't continue too long!

$200tbl.jpg
$200tbl-3.JPG
$200tbl-4.JPG

I'm all for adding weight to a handle, I added tungsten fishing weights to one I restored about a month ago. It looks great, I love the handle/fan combo. It's almost kind of symmetrical.

Thanks guys!

Packers, the weight is perfect, I'm not one for light brushes either. This one feels like the weight is perfectly distributed since I filled it with Epoxy to build my shelf. And the Fan brush does look great with this shape handle, I hadn't even thought about that. I had really wanted a fan, but the more I look at it, and the more I use it now, the more I really like it. Look, feel, everything... It's an awesome restore and I'm quite proud of it!

Top Bottom