What's new

My first ever attempt at shaving ATG! (It burns a bit)

So I'm a 2 pass daily shaver that normally does a first WTG pass and a second XTG pass (I usually get a DFS by doing this). But I decided to experiment tonight by doing a third pass by going ATG on my upper neck. I used my Lupo DE aluminum (no pressure) and a fresh Bic blade with Proraso red. My left side and center is OK but my right side ended up with little red bumps and a slight burning sensation. No cuts though! That area also ended up feeling rougher which is weird since I did cut ATG. What gives? What did I do wrong? 😕
Your input would be much appreciated!
LRod

Eben Stone

Staff member
Just a guess, but the most likely suspects are you're not stretching your skin properly or enough, or using a poor angle.

Try this:

Tilt your head back, and put your other hand around your lower neck like your going to strangle yourself, and pull the skin gently down. Use your entire hand not just fingers, that way your skin stretches evenly.

Adjust your angle so your riding the cap.

If the razor doesn't glide smoothly over your skin, it's probably because your growth pattern is difficult to maneuver. My suggestion is to ignore the growth pattern (at least for your first few attempts) and go south to north.

If your can master going south to north, then work your way each shave to going a little more against your growth pattern.

Stretch your skin a bit, not too much just make it taught. I usually get some minor irritation after going ATG, but I used Cremo shave cream as a pre shave tonight and I applied it after every pass before each lather and had absolutely no irritation. You might give that a shot. Cremo is very concentrated so you only need a like a dime size and use warm water and scrub it in as if you were washing your face. Then lather up.

Best of luck and keep trying.

Great advice from Eben and HX…..Since your a daily shaver and have been getting a fine shave WTG and XTG, I would get my shave on and get to the office or other daily business without the third pass, and the irritation.
But….With that said, practice, practice, practice the skin stretching and other techniques mentioned above if your intent is getting that third pass in. The whiskers on your neck area can sprout out in all directions certainly causing a challenge.

I used my Lupo DE aluminum (no pressure) and a fresh Bic blade with Proraso red. My left side and center is OK but my right side ended up with little red bumps and a slight burning sensation. No cuts though! That area also ended up feeling rougher which is weird since I did cut ATG. What gives? What did I do wrong?
This is a conundrum. If no pressure used, how do you get razor burn and why would it feel rougher after a third pass. Also how is one side different other than the blade angle or pressure may have changed.
I would write this experiece off and try a three pass shave in a few days. However, check after the second pass it is up to your usual standard before making a third pass.
Also, you may wish to try WTG, XTG and XTG reversed as another option for a three pass shave.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Another thing to try... skip your XTG pass and substitute the ATG pass. I did that... less irritation, better end results. I was doing a three pass shave with some buffing around problem areas.... skipping the XTG pass seems to be working for me. And I have a pretty coarse beard... old man, grey whiskers.

Experimentation is part of the fun in traditional wet shaving.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
My skin will not take a 3-pass shave, I learned this in my first week of wet shaving, and it only took me a week to decide, screw XTG! When you see all my SOTD posts, what do you read in every single one of them? They are WTG & ATG shaves, why? Cause my face hates XTG. As long as I do WTG and ATG only, I usually do OK, minus nicking that mole of mine every single time. At this point I don't even care anymore if I nick it, its called an alum block, works wonders. lol - But getting your lather right, to me, thats the difference between razor burn, or not.

Again, if you been following my SOTD posts, you will know that in my last shave, I gave myself razor burn on my neck. This is because I somehow screwed up my lather so bad, it was the worst lather job I've ever done. I had too much application of soap, and not enough water. This made the lather not be slick enough, and it was drying on my face super fast, so much so, I felt like my face was in a mummy cast or something lol.

So ya, I really screwed up, and yet, I still got a 98% BBS shave after it all, ya, try to figure that out LMAO! But ya, I stick to just doing WTG and ATG, no XTG for me thank you very much! I wish you good luck LRod.

There are a couple of things that might have contributes to your irritation.

1. The BIC chrome platinum blade is one of the sharpest available. Thus, they can cause irritation if the remainder of your shave procedure is not correct.

2. Proraso Red produces a suitable lather for many people, but it does not provide a high level of cushion/protection for those with sensitive skin. Proraso is a below average soap according to my evaluations. If you are going to try to shave ATG with BIC blade, you need to upgrade your lather. There are plenty of options available.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

1. The BIC chrome platinum blade is one of the sharpest available. Thus, they can cause irritation if the remainder of your shave procedure is not correct.

2. Proraso Red produces a suitable lather for many people, but it does not provide a high level of cushion/protection for those with sensitive skin. Proraso is a below average soap according to my evaluations. If you are going to try to shave ATG with BIC blade, you need to upgrade your lather. There are plenty of options available.

Correct, which is why I have higher grade soaps in my arsenal! Its just that, my Proraso soaps have been feeling a little lonely under my sink, and I wanted to go back to them for a little bit. That BTW, is also how you make all your soaps last longer, by not just using only one at a time, but spreading out your uses. But yep, I agree, I too find Proraso to be a lower end soap.

Stirling, much better soap IMO. Captains Choice is also lovely soap, and who doesn't love original Tabac with Talow for slickness? I also think Tabac is better then Proraso too.

This is a conundrum. If no pressure used, how do you get razor burn and why would it feel rougher after a third pass. Also how is one side different other than the blade angle or pressure may have changed.
I don't know, you tell me. I haven't a clue as to how I got to that, Lol! That's why I asked!
I used no pressure as to not try to irritate but apparently it did regardless. I believe that pressure or not, razor burn can still occur considering that my skin isn't used to going against the grain.

My skin will not take a 3-pass shave, I learned this in my first week of wet shaving, and it only took me a week to decide, screw XTG! When you see all my SOTD posts, what do you read in every single one of them? They are WTG & ATG shaves, why? Cause my face hates XTG. As long as I do WTG and ATG only, I usually do OK, minus nicking that mole of mine every single time. At this point I don't even care anymore if I nick it, its called an alum block, works wonders. lol - But getting your lather right, to me, thats the difference between razor burn, or not.

Again, if you been following my SOTD posts, you will know that in my last shave, I gave myself razor burn on my neck. This is because I somehow screwed up my lather so bad, it was the worst lather job I've ever done. I had too much application of soap, and not enough water. This made the lather not be slick enough, and it was drying on my face super fast, so much so, I felt like my face was in a mummy cast or something lol.

So ya, I really screwed up, and yet, I still got a 98% BBS shave after it all, ya, try to figure that out LMAO! But ya, I stick to just doing WTG and ATG, no XTG for me thank you very much! I wish you good luck LRod.
I never do 3 passes. Maybe that was an issue as well. Ii just wanted to experiment. I'm always good with 2. As for the lather, I've gotten really good at that. That's not an issue at all. It's really slick!
And I already use an alum block.

Good advice above!

My thoughts:
1. ATG is certainly NOT required. You could try XTG passes in opposite directions or stick with 2 passes.
2. Be careful with your razor angle.
3. Minimal pressure.

I don't only use Proraso but when I do I get good slickness out of it. So far I've been good with the Bic's as well but maybe will try a different blade.

I use Proraso red, and it seems fine, at least compared to my other soaps.

This is exactly why I don't chase the BBS shave. Never got one with carts or electric, and my DE shaves are waaaaay smoother anyway.

I will go ATG on cheeks, chin, and under my jaw, but never on my neck. My skin is just too sensitive, so I just do a couple passes WTG and call it a day.

Some great recommendations in the previous posts. I suggest the following:

1. A sharp blade with zero pressure. As you gain experience ATG, try increasing pressure to “slight”. A mild razor can help here too.

2. A well-hydrated lather. In my experience, this is the single most critical aspect of the wet shaving game. Star_Wahl_Clipper_Trekker mentioned in his post that his lather dried out on his face mid shave … ouch! If your lather is drying on your face in less than 90 seconds, it’s too dry for superior lubrication. It’s amazing just how much water can be added to modern shaving creams and soaps. Experiment with each to get that perfect consistency. As an alternative, you can wet your fingers and massage the lather into your skin a bit before making that ATG pass. Hard to get more hydrated than that.

Good luck and please don’t throw in the towel after one (or several) minor problems. That ultra-smooth irritation-free BBS shave is just around the corner!!

Top Bottom