What's new

my first ebonite handle

Received this custom ebonite handle today. Smooth as glass! Color is sandstone. I intended this for Maggard's new fan badger knot. But the knot opening on this is 27mm and my knot is 24, IMG_20190404_174659.jpg IMG_20190404_174649.jpg IMG_20190404_174640.jpg IMG_20190404_174659.jpg IMG_20190404_174649.jpg IMG_20190404_174640.jpg IMG_20190404_174659.jpg so I may have to look for another knot for this one. Knot depth on this handle is 16mm.

It would work, the 24 mm knot will just have more room to splay. Or you could go with a 26 and save the 24 for another project.

Thanks. Wish I had a better camera than my BlackBerry. I'm hesitating putting a badger hair brush in this thing. My synthetics are by far my favorite right now.

I will, although I'm second guessing my first plan of a badger fan. I sent some knots to an address in California as I was planning to travel this last week, but that trip is delayed 'till next month, so my handle will remain knotless for a few weeks. But I'll probably be looking for help and advice when the time comes. My last knot and handle I did I think I put the knot too deep and the brush has very little splay.

I will, although I'm second guessing my first plan of a badger fan. I sent some knots to an address in California as I was planning to travel this last week, but that trip is delayed 'till next month, so my handle will remain knotless for a few weeks. But I'll probably be looking for help and advice when the time comes. My last knot and handle I did I think I put the knot too deep and the brush has very little splay.
On the next go round you should consider using silicone to set the knot so it can be removed and re-set pretty easily until you get a feel for what you want and then set it with some 2-part epoxy when the time is right. I have found it best to use nylon washers you can pick up at a hardware store to use as spacers. They come on different thicknesses and can be intermingled to get exactly what you want...

Thank you muzichead. That's very helpful. I did indeed use two part epoxy to set my last knot and regret it. I'll use silicon next time. It's going to be quite a job to drill that knot out if I ever decide to do it. But there are also other factors. It's a huge knot, 30mm synthetic from Maggards and perhaps it's the nature of the knot to have little splay. It's also relatively new and only gets used once a week, so maybe it will soften up with time.

@Leverspro Congrats on a fine looking handle. I acquired an Ebonite handle from Derek a couple months ago and had a 26mm Declaration Grooming B7 installed. I love that handle/brush so far.

The new Maggards knots look like winners.

Thank you muzichead. That's very helpful. I did indeed use two part epoxy to set my last knot and regret it. I'll use silicon next time. It's going to be quite a job to drill that knot out if I ever decide to do it. But there are also other factors. It's a huge knot, 30mm synthetic from Maggards and perhaps it's the nature of the knot to have little splay. It's also relatively new and only gets used once a week, so maybe it will soften up with time.
You might try steaming it out. I've done that in the past...

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Thanks. Wish I had a better camera than my BlackBerry. I'm hesitating putting a badger hair brush in this thing. My synthetics are by far my favorite right now.

Camera on my KEYone Black Edition is pretty good actually. What BlackBerry do you have?

Top Bottom