What's new

My first DS Cosmetic brushes reviewed!!

My primary complaint about synthetics is that they lack sufficient backbone - except for the Muhle knots. [I do have a FS Fibre shaving en route.] However, I have a hard time with the looks of flat top brushes. For years, all I bought were bulb style brushes. I bought my first fan about 9 years ago. I suppose someday I will try a flat top - but it will take me a while to get used to how it looks!

My primary complaint about synthetics is that they lack sufficient backbone - except for the Muhle knots. [I do have a FS Fibre shaving en route.] However, I have a hard time with the looks of flat top brushes. For years, all I bought were bulb style brushes. I bought my first fan about 9 years ago. I suppose someday I will try a flat top - but it will take me a while to get used to how it looks!

At first glance, it looked odd to me too.
I like fan/hybrid shape knots but this flat top was extreme.

I started seeing some reviews on them and but the bullet and ordered. Glad I did, they are now in my favorites!

Used the 26mm plissoft style today and it's a lovely brush! I really enjoy the unique face feel.

I received my badger a couple of days ago. It’s a nice brush

D5DD056C-03B4-4A95-8B0A-1E503B11F132.jpeg

Thank you for your reply´s, think I will go with the 26mm flat top then.

You're welcome! Let us know how you get on with it.

Also, keep one thing in mind with the flat top, try not to splay it out too much on the face. It performs wonderfully with the smallest amount of splay. This is an aspect I figured out after getting frustrated with it for about 4 uses but once figured out, they are now amongst my favorites!

I've just clicked the buy button on the DSCosmetic store.
proxy.php

After reading Nav's enthusiastic reviews (this thread and the Frank Shaving G4 one) about this knot
and considering the price ($13,62 shipped after discounts) I couldn't resist anymore :a6:.

I don't think Frank Shaving or DSCosmetic have the resources, the R&D and the plants to develop their own fibres, I believe they source the fibers from the make up industry.
I'm no expert of foundation brushes but I believe these fibers are what they are more commonly known as "Heavenly Luxe™" Ultra-soft fibers.

proxy.php

I've just clicked the buy button on the DSCosmetic store.
proxy.php

After reading Nav's enthusiastic reviews (this thread and the Frank Shaving G4 one) about this knot
and considering the price ($13,62 shipped after discounts) I couldn't resist anymore :a6:.

I don't think Frank Shaving or DSCosmetic have the resources, the R&D and the plants to develop their own fibres, I believe they source the fibers from the make up industry.
I'm no expert of foundation brushes but I believe these fibers are what they are more commonly known as "Heavenly Luxe™" Ultra-soft fibers.

proxy.php

I hope you like that brush. The knot is crazy soft and it really performs wonderfully!

These companies may not be manufacturing their fibres but they do develop fibres and then have them made.

Even a company the size of muhle don't make their own [Silvertip] fibre but did develop it in conjunction with the manufacturer.

The fibre may be similar to makeup brushes but definitely not the same because different fibre crimping methods and combinations give the characteristics of a shaving brush.

I'm extremely happy these companies are doing what they're doing as it gives us more choice and variety :)

I pulled the trigger on the Green Handle tuxedo knot from the review. Let's see how it looks and performs when I finally receive it.

I ordered the green handle alone and the same synthetic knot that is in the blue long handled brush. I am going to set it myself at about 55 or 57 mm. I look forward to using it to see how I like it compared to my other favorites.
Happy shaves
SMURF

I ordered the green handle alone and the same synthetic knot that is in the blue long handled brush. I am going to set it myself at about 55 or 57 mm. I look forward to using it to see how I like it compared to my other favorites.
Happy shaves
SMURF

Nice one!
That knot is killer!
The original handle is long and cumbersome so you did the right thing!
You'll love that knot I'm sure!

Well I got dscosmetic handle and knot. I set it myself at 56 or 57mm I think it looks awesome, especially for the price. I will be using it soon to see how I like it.
Happy shaves
SMURF

20190302_160923.jpg
20190302_160928.jpg
20190302_160936.jpg

Those nice stubby short handles are produced by Oumo (another big China brand) and also resold by WCS renamed as the "Ancient stone torch" line.

You should try a 28mm SynBad. Once you get past 26mm, the lofts don't increase in proportion to the knot size, so you tend to get more density and more backbone. My 28mm SynBad has good backbone with super soft tips.

I have a few of those DS Cosmetics handles. They're nice.

I have now done two hand lathers and one shave with my DS synthetic. J love the way it feels on my face, it is very soft and splayes out very good. My only concern is it has lost at least 40 fibers so far. About 35 of them were during the two hand lathers and the 5 or 6 during the shave. Hopefully it quits.
Happy shaves
SMURF

Top Bottom