What's new

My first dance with Jack.... The Barber not The Dancer.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
3E28087C-0EE9-4ECF-AB30-DF08558F4AE6.jpeg2E7233E6-EE49-4ED0-98A3-8C2BB9511043.jpegA68FA031-78BF-4560-8114-78739064091E.jpegE2D374AB-7476-44CE-8405-A9D34D448D55.jpeg0902A89C-386C-4160-9993-8005FE39E16F.jpeg7E999BE1-14C4-42C4-B48E-5268664492F5.jpegA6AB4539-98CA-450E-B797-07904BA2C19B.jpeg578A0095-0BBF-4EB2-8C60-B7AB5CDADFE7.jpeg
I had my first dance with Jack the Barber this morning. These are new products that we have just started to sell in the Supermarket were I work. There is a Shaving Brush, 3 piece DE Razor and Shaving Cream. I did not pre-wash or pre-sterilise any of the products as they are new. The DE razor weighs in at 55 grams and is 10 centimetres long (4inches) including the head. What I like really like about the razor is that the blade is completely enclosed within the head of the razor. The blade tabs don’t stick out like on most razors. I used a Bolzano blade for the Shave. There was plenty of audible feedback even on the third and final pass. I gave myself one weeper on the first pass but that was operator error. The brush lost less then 10 hairs in its first use and is made of synthetic bristles. It is very soft and I did enjoy using it. The Shaving Cream is very soft and mainly smells of Sandalwood. My first Lather was more like I had applied a layer of Sunscreen to my face as I loaded far too much cream onto the brush. It got better as I progressed through the Shave and added a little more water to the brush. It might be better to bowl lather which I will try later in the week. All the products are made in China and the Brush and Cream are advertised on the packaging as 100% vegan friendly. I thought that I might struggle with the handle being smooth but I had no trouble using the razor. Overall I think that these are pretty good entry level products.

Hmmm, I'm glad they are putting out products like this in a Supermarket. Thank you for the review.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Had my second dance this morning. Much better lather as I only put a small amount of cream on the brush. Yesterday I had far too much on the brush. I find that the Jack the Barber shaving cream is very similar in consistency to Captains Choice shaving creams. Very soft indeed. The brush only lost probably 3 bristles. That is all that I could find in the bottom of the sink. The brush is very soft and for those wanting a brush with lots of back bone this may not be for you. Still, I think very good starter pack for someone.

Appreciate the review on these products!

I saw the Jack the Barber range when I was in Woolies yesterday, was stunned to see DE shavers, brushes in a supermarket! Was going to pick it up, but I was in a rush

Well priced, tempted to walk down down to the Woolies a couple hundred metres away from where I live and picking it up(razor, cream & brush) I mean for just over $25.... Can't really go wrong.

Razor looks pretty well finished.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It’s all pretty good value. I have had 6 shaves this week using Jack the Barber, razor, brush and shaving cream. You don’t need a lot of the cream to get a good lather. The brush is pretty soft and the blade tabs are enclosed in the razor head which is a feature that I like.

So I finally got around to getting The Jack the Barber gear, and taking it for a spin.

I purchased the razor, cream, and brush.

Put a brand new Polsilver in the 3 piece razor, and the shave reminded me of my since piffed DE89. If I'm not mistaken, the Jack the Barber may have slightly more blade exposure. Was a nice smooth shave.

Will need a few more shaves under my belt with the cream and brush to give an informed opinion on those. My first experience probably the opposite to you @ajkel64 , where I probably didn't start with enough cream on my brush, and only had enough for 2 passes and touch ups. I face lathered.

Will use a more familiar brush next time around, so I can really dial in the cream.

So far so good.

IMG_20191014_102748.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I was surprised how good they are really are. They are not expensive and I still think a beginner could do no wrong it starting out with these shaving implements.

I am a few shaves in with my one, and just proves to me that you don't need to spend the big bucks to get a great shave.

It's a razor I can recommend to beginners and anyone inbetween.

The cream will probably always be in my den also, I've enjoyed using that so far, and performance is great for the price.

I can't recommend the brush though, yes sure it's cheap, and does it's job. But you can just spend a few bucks more and get a Yaqi, but it's ok if you want to get all your kit in one hit, it will tie you over

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I was surprised how good they are really are. They are not expensive and I still think a beginner could do no wrong it starting out with these shaving implements.

You were good enough to send me one. As a fresh newbie beginner Ive had 2 BBS shaves with Jack the Barber, something i couldn't achieve with the muhle 89 or YAQI.

Im very happy with the Jack, I will keep using it to get my technique better.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
You were good enough to send me one. As a fresh newbie beginner Ive had 2 BBS shaves with Jack the Barber, something i couldn't achieve with the muhle 89 or YAQI.

Im very happy with the Jack, I will keep using it to get my technique better.
I’m glad that you are having some success with the razor. I’m going to give it another go in the very near future. I just gave my dad one of the Jack The Barber brushes. He requires a soft brush these days and he really likes the softness of the brush.

I got one yesterday and honestly I don’t like it the shave was ok but I hate the hollow handle.

when I shave I like the weight of the razor in hand, but for me it was sort of like comparing a cheap china built pocket bike to a To a Honda 450 it’s just night and day, yeah I can see the appeal of someone buying there first razor and trying de shaving but I have always had the view of quality over quantity.

you can get a tech off eBay for almost the same price maybe a little extra but it’s quality you know that because it still works after 40 plus years but that’s my 2 cents

Just picked the razor up at Tj-maxx for $8. I needed a new travel razor and thought I’d get it with some scents.

I tried the razor last night and was surprised. It is essentially a Bevel clone and I was expecting a very mild shave. Never tried a Bevel but saw reviews when they came out.

I have more than my fair share of razors, modern, vintage adjustables etc but this thing was quite aggressive. Felt like my Rex at 5.

I checked gap etc and everything is straight. Tightened the handle a bit more but same result. I did find that another Bevel clone from the Bombay Shaving company sold a mild and aggressive plate. I think they use an aggressive plate here. The description of the aggressive Bombay plate reflected my experience with the Jack.

I used a Lab Blue and got a BBS shave but paid for it. Quite a bit of irritation. Might adjust my angle a bit tonight, maybe go a little more neutral or try another blade.

I got one yesterday and honestly I don’t like it the shave was ok but I hate the hollow handle.

when I shave I like the weight of the razor in hand, but for me it was sort of like comparing a cheap china built pocket bike to a To a Honda 450 it’s just night and day, yeah I can see the appeal of someone buying there first razor and trying de shaving but I have always had the view of quality over quantity.

you can get a tech off eBay for almost the same price maybe a little extra but it’s quality you know that because it still works after 40 plus years but that’s my 2 cents

Yes handle is a bit cheap, no grip and hollow but Ive had some good shaves with it.

Day 2 with Ole Jack. I kept the same Lab Blue but went with the very slick Body Shop cream. I also lowered the handle a bit to go with a more neutral angle. No irritation and ended up with a DFS.

I’m going to keep up with this razor until I figure it out. Don’t like changing blades for razors so I’m staying put there. Always break out the Body Shop cream for my more aggressive razors so that will stay put also. Again the gap and alignment are fine, I’ve just come to the conclusion that this razor is just pretty intense. Makes my Timeless .95 OC feel like my prewar Tech.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that a Bevel clone would be that aggressive.

Last edited:
Day 3. Figured this razor out.

Went extreme today with neutral. Basically handle straight down like shaving with a cart. After resisting all temptations to lift that handle WTG, XTG and ATG, I got a 3 pass BBS worthy of matching my best razors with zero irritation. Kept the same Lab Blue and stuck with the Body Shop cream.

I’m thinking about doing a more detailed review as a new thread on this razor. This is my lowest cost, best shave I’ve ever gotten from a razor in this price range. $8, just incredible.

Now the razor itself is no marvel, but the shave is. Zamack head, light hollow brass handle, some manufacturing nicks on the handle but the head is pretty sharp and chrome finish solid. If used daily, I think I might get about 3 years out of what appears to be zamack threads.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Normal retail price at my workplace is $20.00 Australian for the Jack the Barber DE. I bought a few when they were on special. I think that I either paid $15.00 or $12.50 Australian. They come on from time to time with the Jack the Barber Shaving Cream and the Jack the Barber Shaving Brush.

Persons ordering these to sell as inventory see a pretty razor so I’m not surprised about that retail sales price. A buyer without previous DE experience may think it is a good deal, it isn’t a bad one, but WEISHI’s would be around the same retail (Not online). Although I think WEISHIs are better made and have better materials (All brass), this is a better shave.

Takes me 4 passes to get BBS with a WESHI, they are a bit too mild for me but I think I could get Jack down to 2.

Only reason I want one is I have a bevel head that I got 2nd hand that I put on a gillette handle and I'd like to see how similar the heads shave and then if I don't like it I might put the bevel head on that handle if I like the handle..

Top Bottom