What's new

My first custom made brush

15 days ago I decided to make my own custom brush (named King brush). I ordered Cocobolo wood and silvertip 24x67 mm knot. The final result is down on the photo:

proxy.php

Very nice. The handle is beautiful. It seems as though it might be a bit floppy though with such a tall knot or is that exactly what you were seeking?

Did you get the Cocobolo from Tony?
He seems to get some pretty nice wood, nicer then the Cocobolo I get from the Wood Craft Store.

Did you get the Cocobolo from Tony?
He seems to get some pretty nice wood, nicer then the Cocobolo I get from the Wood Craft Store.

I get 1,5x1,5x6 Cocobolo blank from exoticwoodgroup.com together with some other pen blanks which are in progress of making custom handles for DE razors.

Very nice. The handle is beautiful. It seems as though it might be a bit floppy though with such a tall knot or is that exactly what you were seeking?

Right measure is 24x59 (8 mm is height of the plug).
I did not try the brush but too me it seems it will not be floppy because I have few brushes in same size as this one and they are not floppy. OK, I know that depends of brush knot but I belive that TGN sells good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get 1,5x1,5x6 Cocobolo blank from exoticwoodgroup.com together with some other pen blanks which are in progress of making custom handles for DE razors.

How are you going to do the threads on the handles you make? Metal transition? Tap the wood? Threaded insert?

That is a beautiful handle, I love the stubby dimensions to it.

Right measure is 24x59 (8 mm is height of the plug).
I did not try the brush but too me it seems it will not be floppy because I have few brushes in same size as this one and they are not floppy. OK, I know that depends of brush knot but I belive that TGN sells good stuff.

TGN knots are good stuff, just remember that they are typically made tall to accommodate everyone taste as far as loft goes. You can always make a loft shorter, but you cant make it better.

I have several TGN's that I'm very happy with, however in all instances I had to set them (or have them set) low. I'm very particular about short loft brushes, so take my advise with a grain of salt, but it might be worth your time to try them out at slightly sorter lofts to control bloom and flop. Or if your a bowl/cream guy you can just pretend I did not say anything at all :blush:

That is a beautiful handle, I love the stubby dimensions to it.

TGN knots are good stuff, just remember that they are typically made tall to accommodate everyone taste as far as loft goes. You can always make a loft shorter, but you cant make it better.

I have several TGN's that I'm very happy with, however in all instances I had to set them (or have them set) low. I'm very particular about short loft brushes, so take my advise with a grain of salt, but it might be worth your time to try them out at slightly sorter lofts to control bloom and flop. Or if your a bowl/cream guy you can just pretend I did not say anything at all :blush:

Thx for advice. This brush will be used for bowl lathering.
Next brush I will set loft little bit shorter.

?????

Having opened up a few knots for restores and I am signed up for a beginners turning class, what the heck are these inserts you are talking about and why didn't my restores have them ?

Please edumcate me :001_huh:

I think that member ask about thread in the wood handles for DE razor (thread inside the top of the handle where I have to mount DE head base) but not about any kind of threads in brush handles.
I understand that way so this time I can not educate you any way.

?????

Having opened up a few knots for restores and I am signed up for a beginners turning class, what the heck are these inserts you are talking about and why didn't my restores have them ?

Please edumcate me :001_huh:

May be wrong here but I believe you have two different conversations going on in this thread. One of the issued with forums and the net.

The threaded inserts would be for razor handles.

Charlie

...and freshly from workshop....

1. shaving brush with Croatian walnut tree handle and boar 24x65 knot:

proxy.php

2. shaving brush with Croatian walnut tree handle and Black badger 22x65 knot:

proxy.php

3. shaving brush with Cocobolo handle and 22x65 silvertip knot:

proxy.php

They have some really sweet looking wood.

I have yet to try making a pen and have bought some cheapies to practice on, until I get it right. Then it's back to exotic to pick up some "real" stuff.

Very nice, what type of finish did you use on the wood? -Blade Boy

After turning:

-sand it with 120-240-500-1000 paper
-turpentine cleaning
-polish with aluminium-oxide
-turpentine cleaning
-sealing with CCL knife handle oil
-aplying 5-6 coats of Carnauba wax

Top Bottom