What's new

My first custom " inkwell " razor stand !

sed a piece of 304 stainless steel rod ,to make a custom ( DIY ) inkwell razor stand.
Machined at a mini-lathe and lightly polished with a felt wheel.
Looks good to me.
Have you considered working in brass? .... brass is a lot easier on your tools.
That would have been my choice as it a lot easier to work and would be a nice contrast with the handle; it has the weight too.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Pretty neat :thumbup1:

Waiddaminute ...
Have seen that design somewhere before?
proxy.php

Nah.
Fantastic

Very nice work!
I like the symmetry in the base and the modifications you did to the handle. The art deco effect is cool too.
304 is really nasty stuff to machine. A high quality cutting lube specifically made for difficult-to-machine stainless steel applied manually will improve the surface a lot (and keep taps from sticking). The inherent lack of rigidity in a mini-lathe tends to be magnified when tough steels are machined. You have done good work.
That little "tink" when tapping or drilling a hole is an ugly sound! It usually means that whatever piece I was working on just became a paperweight, and I need a new tap/drill...
Scare up some brass and aluminum bar stock and show us some more creations! :)

Very nice work!
I like the symmetry in the base and the modifications you did to the handle. The art deco effect is cool too.
304 is really nasty stuff to machine. A high quality cutting lube specifically made for difficult-to-machine stainless steel applied manually will improve the surface a lot (and keep taps from sticking). The inherent lack of rigidity in a mini-lathe tends to be magnified when tough steels are machined. You have done good work.
That little "tink" when tapping or drilling a hole is an ugly sound! It usually means that whatever piece I was working on just became a paperweight, and I need a new tap/drill...
Scare up some brass and aluminum bar stock and show us some more creations! :)

Yep...the "tink" is quite unnerving! I'm not a big fan of stainless if I can avoid it. I've had to machine and weld stainless. I just don't care for it. Never had a chance to weld Ti but God knows I wanted to. Another PITA though.

Used a piece of 304 stainless steel rod ,to make a custom ( DIY ) inkwell razor stand.

That was my first trial ever.
The finishing job was not the best ,I should say.
There are some cutting tool marks ,but 304 steel is quite a PITA ,
when it comes to machining at a mini-lathe and
frankly I've made a rather sloppy job ,because at first it was just an experiment.
Afterwards I decided that this is a keeper !
Anyway ,not the best job done ,but I like it .
It's quite heavy ( well above 100 grams ) and has also a drain hole.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I made this inkwell stand to match with an 316L stainless steel handle ( an aesthetically modified Ikon OSS ).
The head of the razor is a wonderful brass piece , made from Karve Shaving Co. ( D plate ) .
This mixed -metal razor is my favorite daily driver.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I am

I am a total newbie am loving this new adventure. I like your stand, well done. I wish I had the equipment and knowledge to make something like that. I am searching for DE razors and accessories to add to my collection! I just started this month so I don't have much yet!!

You may notice on a few of the pics I have posted that I use high speed steel cutter bits almost exclusively. High speed steel can be honed to a keener edge that won't crumble compared to carbide. It's not hard to learn how to grind the various profiles, and you can custom grind bits to do different cuts. The ability to grind a bit gives you another set of parameters to play with. I have a drawer full of ground bits. Sometimes I even remember why I ground them like that.
I have machined some 304L that was nasty, but the stuff I used to make the "BFR"* was worse. It was still easily cut with high speed steel.
*Independence Day/Canada Day Pif. Custom clone #2 -the BFR

Today I tried for the first time to make a brass handle,from a 12 mm Dia. C27200 brass rod .
I was in a hurry and that was just a test piece ,
mainly done to check how brass behaves when machined at the lathe
( I 've never machined brass before ) .
Anyway,did not use the lathe's dials and did all the work ,without measuring any distances
or being precise .
So ,it's not quite finely made ,while it's quite long ( about 4" ) .
Tomorrow I will try to make another one and this time it will be much better .

Last edited:
Used a piece of 304 stainless steel rod ,to make a custom ( DIY ) inkwell razor stand.

That was my first trial ever.
The finishing job was not the best ,I should say.
There are some cutting tool marks ,but 304 steel is quite a PITA ,
when it comes to machining at a mini-lathe and
frankly I've made a rather sloppy job ,because at first it was just an experiment.
Afterwards I decided that this is a keeper !
Anyway ,not the best job done ,but I like it .
It's quite heavy ( well above 100 grams ) and has also a drain hole.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I made this inkwell stand to match with an 316L stainless steel handle ( an aesthetically modified Ikon OSS ).
The head of the razor is a wonderful brass piece , made from Karve Shaving Co. ( D plate ) .
This mixed -metal razor is my favorite daily driver.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Very impressive considering u're using rather a simple equipment without coolant.

I love it!

Today I tried for the first time to make a brass handle,from a 12 mm Dia. C27200 brass rod .
I was in a hurry and that was just a test piece ,
mainly done to check how brass behaves when machined at the lathe
( I 've never machined brass before ) .
Anyway,did not use the lathe's dials and did all the work ,without measuring any distances
or being precise .
So ,it's not quite finely made ,while it's quite long ( about 4" ) .
Tomorrow I will try to make another one and this time it will be much better .

Looks pretty dang nice for using the old eyeballs instead of the machine dials. I usually don't use machine dials any more. I use mag based dial indicators instead. If I was really cool I'd be using a digital read out, but I'm not that cool. At least at my home shop.

Great work!

Top Bottom