What's new

My first Coticule

Won this on the auction site today, it's my first Coticule so lots to learn. I'm a bit worried about the cracking, but we'll see about that when it arrives in Australia. 7" x 1.5", can't wait to try it!
Coti#1.jpg
Coti#2.jpg
Coti#3.jpg
Coti#4.jpg

I bid on that one too, looks like it will clean up nice. That's pretty typical size for a vintage stone. If you can pick up a slurry stone do so, it will be valuable when using the coti.

@Wid What would be a suitable slurry stone? Maybe a small coti bout like those sold by Ardennes-coticule for about 5 Euro?
<Edit> They don't seem to offer shipping to Australia, I'll have to look around<>

Last edited:
@Wid What would be a suitable slurry stone? Maybe a small coti bout like those sold by Ardennes-coticule for about 5 Euro?
<Edit> They don't seem to offer shipping to Australia, I'll have to look around<>
A coticule slurry stone is nice to have. They do vary a little, so it might be worth it to get a few. You can also use a different type of stone to generate slurry with. You just need a hard slurry stone that doesn't release grit that kick up the base stone. I would stay away from diamond plate generated slurry.

Ardennes does ship to Australia. Shipping starts at 25 Euro.

Legion

Staff member
Ardennes used to ship to Oz. Maybe flick them an email. If so, whatever the smallest bout they have will be good.

There's an Etsy seller that has bouts backed with slate (not BBW) for AUD$8 plus postage $AUD13 so may go with that.
He has BBW backed bouts as well but much more expensive.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I don't use a slurry stone with my coticule/BB, the same as yours. I only use the coticule side for finishing and it can develop its only very light slurry that is just right for my carbon steel blades.

The BB side I use as a pre-finisher and it will easily develop its own very nice slurry.

I still finish some of my carbon steel blades on diamond pasted balsa. They are for when I want a crisp edge to shave with (like this morning).

I find that my harder stainless steel blades prefer finishing on my Adaee #12000 Cnat. Takes time but is worth it.

Based on maybe a dozen identical stones to that one... it will be fast and easy to read. It's not going to be the finest one out there but it should be plenty fine to shave off of. It's a really good first coti.

Top Bottom