What's new

My first convert!

So having spent the last couple of years extolling the virtues of traditional wet shaving to all and sundry, usually to find out that most people can't be bothered to even think about the possibility of improving on their current regime, I finally discovered I have had my first convert from cart/electric.

About a year ago I recommended it to a relative who always suffered with spots after shaving with a cartridge and razor burn after an electric but didn't seem to make much of an impression at the time. However, during the week he dropped out that he'd gone out and got a Gillette KCG DE razor from local supermarket (brick and mortar store - another plus) and was mightily impressed with the difference it made.

One doesn't like to say I told you so but....... :)

However, during the week he dropped out that he'd gone out and got a Gillette KCG DE razor from local supermarket (brick and mortar store - another plus) and was mightily impressed with the difference it made.
Well done.
I hear the KCG blades are fantastic but expensive; cheaper than cartridges though. Availablity in store is a plus so hopefully there are more converts to the DE razor.

So having spent the last couple of years extolling the virtues of traditional wet shaving to all and sundry, usually to find out that most people can't be bothered to even think about the possibility of improving on their current regime, I finally discovered I have had my first convert from cart/electric.

About a year ago I recommended it to a relative who always suffered with spots after shaving with a cartridge and razor burn after an electric but didn't seem to make much of an impression at the time. However, during the week he dropped out that he'd gone out and got a Gillette KCG DE razor from local supermarket (brick and mortar store - another plus) and was mightily impressed with the difference it made.

Well done that man. I converted my brother-in-law recently; he’s not fully released from cartridges, but he’s moving in the right direction....

My first convert was my daughter. She expressed an interest, so I let her borrow my VHD I started with (after I acquired a few other razors) and a few tucks of various blades I had tried up to that point. She liked the feeling of the shave with the VDH, so I was able to find a blue Lady for her.
Now she has a blue and pink, and we have found a champagin Lady that she will be buying next week, so she will have all 3 colors, and all of them are in excellent condition.

I'm thinking of picking up a good starter kit for my nephew for Christmas.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I work with a lot of young people and over the years I've probably converted my share, though I seldom bring up shaving directly. A lot of these guys are headed out to internships where they have to look good, and they'll complain about shaving at that point. I've probably given away 8 or 10 Razorock synthetics and Amici soaps or Arko sticks to these young guys, as well as directions to this site & other online resources, then I let it go. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback about what using soap and brush is like, however. I'm sure some of them stuck with it long term and might even have hopped down a few rabbit holes.

I ended up converted simply because I was looking for a better shaving cream. I kept getting information that classic creams that are lathered with a brush are better. That led me to the Bigelow cream at the local mall, and I started by using that cream and backing down to an Atra. I shaved that way for a while and then somebody on B&B mailed me a Superspeed and a few Gillette green blades, and of course I had to at least try it.

End result was it is now 11.5 years later and I am shaving with a replaceable blade straight razor. As they say, "one thing leads to another."

Top Bottom