What's new

My first cold brew coffee attempt

Did a quick chill method with the Aeropress yesterday evening for the LOTH and me. I need to adjust the ratio with a little less coffee or more water (the AP was full so less coffee it is), but it turned out a pretty good Iced brew. I used the Coffee Geek recipe for Aeropress Iced coffee.

coffeegeek.com said:
30gm Coffee
150gm Water (about 200 F ish)
Inverted in AP
Stir every 5 sec for 60 second brew time
Attach filter/cap
(un)invert over cup and press for about 30 seconds

Like I said, this was a bit strong. Tonight when I try I'm going to use only 25 gm of coffee, and possibly more ice in the cup.

I just tried cold brew coffee for the first time today. I put 8 T coffee in my 24 ounce French press and filled it with room temperature water. It sat for four hours, then I pushed down the plunger and tried the coffee. It was better than when I brew hot coffee and put it in the fridge to cool. I'm going to do this again. I'd never heard of cold brew coffee before joining B&B. Thanks, everyone.

Keep your eye out for the Ronco system:

http://www.amazon.com/Ronco-CT1000WHGEN-Brew-System-White/dp/B002A3P6DG

I bought one in store for under $10. You might see them in the As Seen on TV section in grocery and drug stores. It is a smaller version of the Toddy with a plastic bottle that uses a half pound at a time. I do it for about 24 hours then refill with water and combine the two batches. I love it for Iced Coffee in the summer. It is great for blended frappe drinks too.

It can be more caffeinated than regular coffee. So be careful using too much. It is easy to use too much since it is so smooth. And don't feel like you need to use a high quality coffee. It will smooth out the cheapest coffee. So forget the $15 coffee house roast and buy the cheapest brick of coffee in the grocery store.

I have been using Cafe Rico Rico which can be found for about $2.50 for 8oz brick. It works great in my Ronco. You can get 12 bricks for $21 from the website. That is a summer's worth of Iced Coffee for the price of 4 or 5 Frapuccinos at Charbucks.

http://www.ccmcoffee.com/index.php?cPath=24

And don't feel like you need to use a high quality coffee. It will smooth out the cheapest coffee. So forget the $15 coffee house roast and buy the cheapest brick of coffee in the grocery store.

:scared::scared::scared::scared:

Actually, looks like a neat device. The Toddy seems way overpriced to me. I would never skimp on quality though. But that's just me.

The Toddy seems way overpriced to me. I would never skimp on quality though. But that's just me.

The Toddy is a little expensive for what it is, but other than new filters every now and then I'd say its worth it. It really cuts back on the acidity and gives that coffee a great round body. Plus if you are traveling or camping or away from home for whatever reasin, just bring a little of the concentrate with you and all you need is some ice or hot water and you have a great cup of coffee.

The Toddy is a little expensive for what it is, but other than new filters every now and then I'd say its worth it. It really cuts back on the acidity and gives that coffee a great round body. Plus if you are traveling or camping or away from home for whatever reasin, just bring a little of the concentrate with you and all you need is some ice or hot water and you have a great cup of coffee.

scared.gif
scared.gif
scared.gif
scared.gif

Actually, looks like a neat device. The Toddy seems way overpriced to me. I would never skimp on quality though. But that's just me.

The brewing units are a blastic pitcher with hole in the bottom for a felt filter and a rubber stopper. The handle broke on my Toddy. The Ronko plastic bottles are cheap, but the Ronco fits the toddy glass carafe. The brewing portion of the Ronco comes with a cover, the Toddy you cover with Saran Wrap. They both use the same felt filter though the Toddy Filter is a little bigger. I would say the Ronco brewing portion is better quality than the Toddy, which is three times as much. But the Toddy Carafe is nicer than the Ronco Plastic Bottle. Having owned both I would go with the Ronco.

But also consider you can get the same results from a dollar store pitcher, and a funnel and coffee filters. The Ronco or Toddy just makes clean up easier.

Last edited:

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
My parents have the Toddy cold coffee maker.
They really like it. I don't drink coffee, but I remember them saying that it is very smooth.
One advantage is when you have the coffee concentrate, you can use it for cooking and other things very easily.

My Mom has the Toddy system and loves it. After my Keurig broke down I decided to buy the system as well. I dont know what it is about the system, but the coffee always tends to help "natures call" if you catch my drift. The cold process coffee is suppose to be easier on the stomach, and for some reason it is only when I make it, that I have these issues. I do miss my Keurig.

The brewing units are a blastic pitcher with hole in the bottom for a felt filter and a rubber stopper. The handle broke on my Toddy. The Ronko plastic bottles are cheap, but the Ronco fits the toddy glass carafe. The brewing portion of the Ronco comes with a cover, the Toddy you cover with Saran Wrap. They both use the same felt filter though the Toddy Filter is a little bigger. I would say the Ronco brewing portion is better quality than the Toddy, which is three times as much. But the Toddy Carafe is nicer than the Ronco Plastic Bottle. Having owned both I would go with the Ronco.

But also consider you can get the same results from a dollar store pitcher, and a funnel and coffee filters. The Ronco or Toddy just makes clean up easier.

I'm going from a pitcher and a mason jar, filtering with a strainer and cheese cloth. I think it's time for an upgrade. Honestly though, I'd probably just filter it over a mason jar. The Toddy carafe would take up too much space in the fridge.

I use a French Press. 1.5 cups of fine grind (Dark Roast) with 5 cups of water stir let stand overnight (Room temp) then press or strain. Store in Fridge and use it as concentrate and add 1:1 water or adjust for strength preference. :)

Top Bottom