What's new

My first brush + handle making question

Hey Guys,

I've been lurking around here for a while reading the brush making threads back, you make such fantastic brushes, it is my primary motivational source So much valuable content, so upfront thank you for that :thumbup1:.
I've been woodworking for 5 years now, last December I bough a lathe. It's been my long time dream to make shaving brushes.

I made my first one (its actually a practice peace , so knot won't be glued in),I plan to make further practice pieces to hone my skills. I want to make wooden and also acrylic pieces.

I have some problems holding the piece (after I part it) from the "hole" side. Don't want to hold it with an expanding chuck (yes I have a chuck, but I don't want to change the jaws back and forth+ right now I don't have the funds for a second chuck). After reading your posts here about the Beall expanding collet, I am not to keen on that neither (plus that is not available in EU where I am).

So the downselected option is to use a bottle stopper 'screw in type' of mandrel/chuck. I plan on making one for myself using a face plate, wood + screw.

It is clear that I need a second, smaller diameter hole in the handle, bored in the knot hole to accommodate the screw of the chuck.
What do you guys use after finishing the brush when gluing in the knot to fill in this smaller dia hole? Or do you fill in this hole at all? Is there any difference for wood and acrylic blanks?

thanks
László

Attachments

• IMG_20220130_140715.jpg
    IMG_20220130_140715.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220130_140646.jpg
    IMG_20220130_140646.jpg
    844.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220130_135754_2.jpg
    IMG_20220130_135754_2.jpg
    931.3 KB · Views: 14
I use epoxy to set the knot, so there shouldn't really be a reason to fill the hole since the knot will cover it up. However, you could just add a little extra silicone / epoxy to the knot when setting it and let the hole fill in by itself

I tend to do almost all the work on the handle with the knot hole facing the tailstock. When I part it off from the main piece I generally use a jam chuck made from a chunk of scrap wood to finish off the bottom. It is a bit tricky and there are risks but that's what has worked for me. I see a lot of people putting "coins" or custom engraved coin like badges in the bottom end of brushes. Or other decorative inserts. I am assuming many of these are to fill in a hole used for holding the work piece from the bottom side for finishing.

@GAW9576 ; @carluchi thank you so much for the answers. I am experimenting around, yesterday I made one with a self made jam chuck, frankly not the easiest to handle :). The workpiece wanted to fly away a couple of times :)

@GAW9576 ; @carluchi thank you so much for the answers. I am experimenting around, yesterday I made one with a self made jam chuck, frankly not the easiest to handle :). The workpiece wanted to fly away a couple of times :)
I don't do any actual turning ( as in shaping with tools) with a jam chuck unless the work piece is supported buy the tail stock. Only careful finish sanding. Sorry if I didn't specify that earlier.

No problem. I was just gently trying to flatten with the scraper at lower speeds. So I was aware about the risk.

No problem. I was just gently trying to flatten with the scraper at lower speeds. So I was aware about the risk.

As another note I will sometimes use a non pointed live center and pad it with a small piece of leather to do some extra work with tools. Thia allows a reasonably secure hold while preventing scratches from the tail stock.

Top Bottom