What's new

My first boar brush - what am I doing wrong?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Of course, with Em's soaps, you could get a good lather with a basting brush.

Many basting brushes are boar. Alton Brown uses a boar shaving brush as a barbecue sauce brush.

6268A994-4A24-4C89-A505-29667741EEB2.jpeg

Many basting brushes are boar. Alton Brown uses a boar shaving brush as a barbecue sauce brush.
That's probably what got me on the idea. I literally could take a few flicks of the basting brush on one of her soap pucks and have a slick enough lather to shave with.

I wonder, though, with all the black pepper and smoke shave soaps out there, if someone has made one that can double as BBQ marinade.

So tonight I performed my second shave using a boar brush. This time, I used a Sterling soap bbq sauce flavor. No wait... Flashbacks of my previous post here.

I used Sterling soap barbershop. It provided an excellent lather with the boar. Sure wish I could say the same with my first straight razor shave. Took 45 minutes with that shave, which I am not pleased with the results. I will post my thoughts on the straight razor forum.

So tonight I performed my second shave using a boar brush. This time, I used a Sterling soap bbq sauce flavor. No wait... Flashbacks of my previous post here.

I used Sterling soap barbershop. It provided an excellent lather with the boar. Sure wish I could say the same with my first straight razor shave. Took 45 minutes with that shave, which I am not pleased with the results. I will post my thoughts on the straight razor forum.
I just ran out and copyrighted the phrase "barbercue."

I have three boar brushes in house.. and a few more on the way.. snail mail from Spain and Portugal.... I already started the wetting and drying process on the first three.

I'm assuming the mixed knot brushes will respond more quickly to the break-in process... but I have actual proof this is the case but I'll be doing something similar with them, just in case. I will start using the Mistura brushes right away, though, since they start out a bit softer to begin with.

Reactions: Kix
My solution to breaking in a boar brush has been buying them used. I say let someone else do the work, I just want to enjoy my shave. Ty BST!

• Haha
Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom