What's new

My first attempt...

At a Chubby style handle. I've never actually seen one outside of a picture, but have always liked the look, and I tried for the middle-of-the-road Chubby 2 with an Elite Razors 26mm Manchurian White knot set at 52mm.

My BIL makes butcher block with inlays and uses a few different exotic woods. He has some scraps that are too small for him to do much with but are perfect for combining into something like this, and I've been having a lot of fun with it lately. The handle is made of Padauk, Maple and Black Walnut.

In retrospect I should have sanded the bare wood down a little farther. The padauk sands into an incredibly fine powder, and some of it lodged in a couple of rough spots in the maple, which can be seen in the pic. I'll choose to call it character added by the handmade process and be happy with it lol.

proxy.php

Thanks guys! Playing with different wood combinations and working at the lathe has been very enjoyable for me, and I'm always looking forward to the next time I can get over there.

No nose hair was harmed during the making of this brush. I had a dust mask or respirator on at all times. :thumbup:

Nice job! I actually like the way the sanding dust got trapped in there. From the photo it actually looks like part of the coloration in the maple and helps the 3 colors "flow" together. If that makes any sense. Even if it doesn't I still like it. :001_tongu

I like the dimensions - handle vs knot diameter and loft - almost perfect to my eye. Should be quite the face lathering, soap eating monster (in a good way). Also like the sanded wood 'character' in the maple. Briefly, images of Neopolitan ice cream I sampled as a youth and even the Italian flag came to mind when I 1st saw the handle, but seriously that's a sweet brush anyone in this forum would be proud to own.. :001_cool:

Thanks guys! Here's my second attempt at a Chubby handle. It should be the size of a Chubby 3 based off of specs I found online. It's made of Purple Heart and still needs a some work on the finish. I can already tell it's more brush than I'd really enjoy so it's likely to be PIFed when it's done.

proxy.php

Nice work.

I would love to try turning. I don't have any space for it and the tools I would want are more than I should spend any time soon.

It's cool that you are putting the leftovers from the butcher blocks to good use. I hope you get a piece tall enough to try your hand at a barber handle.

Keep us in pictures please. I really like this sort of stuff!

Very nice. I would never guess this was your first attempt. The shape of the handles are great. Very classic.

Very nice. I would never guess this was your first attempt. The shape of the handles are great. Very classic.

Lol just my first attempt at a Chubby style handle. I've turned half a dozen or so other handles before this one.

Thanks guys! Here's my second attempt at a Chubby handle. It should be the size of a Chubby 3 based off of specs I found online. It's made of Purple Heart and still needs a some work on the finish. I can already tell it's more brush than I'd really enjoy so it's likely to be PIFed when it's done.

proxy.php

Very classy shape...nice work!
With the durability of Purple Heart wood that could be a nice heirloom piece.

Top Bottom