What's new

My first attempt

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks for all the advice, and encouragement to try this.

My first straight shave today went better than I expected with some real surprises.

I thought I would really have some problems with the chin and right under the nose, but that was a cake walk.

I did 2 WTG passes and 1 XTG, but an additional ATG on the neck below the chin and the chin.

I just couldn't figure out how to hold the razor to get ATG on the left and right neck and cheek, so I let it go at that.

BBS on the chin, DFS on the rest of the face, and visibly passable on the left and right side of the neck. I'm not going to get better than that till I figure out how to hold it.

No cuts or nicks and the jugular vein and carotid artery are unscathed, LOL.

The sticky by Joel was very helpful, but there isn't anything on ATG passes, so further investigation in progress.

Thanks again for the encouragement to give it a try.

Last edited:
Sounds like your first try was a definite success. How long did the shave take? I've been contemplating straights myself and I am just curious.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm happy to see that you took the leap! Nice work Phil! See, using a straight takes pratice but it's not as scary! Which straight did you use?

Nice work, Phil. I'm only about 10 shaves ahead of you and I learn and improve something each time. The area slowest to come around for me is my off-hand WTG neck stroke. But no nicks so far and it sounds like you're on the way as well. Congrats!

Congratulations, Phil. I completed straght shave number 6 last with marked improvements over my previous attempts. 1 WTG and 2 XTG on the cheeks gave me a DFS. 2 WTG 1 half-assed XTG on the neck. Still can't do the curve of my chin.

Congrats on the plunge Phil. I only shave straight on Sundays, continuing to practice what my Grandad taught me . After being away from it since i went into the Navy 38 years ago, alot of the technique has come back. Have 6 shaves under my belt. Keep at it!!!

Awesome! I will be taking the leap soon too. I'm getting excited--I never thought a straight razor would be for me. Hopefully I like it as much as I like the DE experience

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks for the kind words.

I thought initially of only using the straight on weekends, but that won't cut it (pun intended).

I'll get up earlier and do this till I have it down pat, I will NOT fall back to an easier method, simply because it's easier.

To all my fellow noobs at this - good luck and keep at it. Anything worth doing is worth doing well, so go at it like you mean it.

Top Bottom