What's new

My first APShaveco Brushes arrived

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Mail Call today. My two newest additions to my brush collection arrived. They are both APShaveco synthetic brushes. A 24mm Silksmoke with the Blue Lagoon handle and a 24mm Synbad with a Faux Marble handle. Anybody that knows me here, knows I held off on trying Synthetic brushes with a bit of a passion in favor of boars and badgers. Mike @Esox posted a link to a Maggard 22mm Plisson style knoy for $9.99 US Dollars after Cal @Cal recommended the Omega S10065. I ordered both of them. I fell hard down the Synth-Brush Rabbit Hole for which there is no recovery.

First let me say both APShavco brushes are beautiful. I had some doubts as to how the handles will look as Andrew @ APShave states there may be some flaws in the handles on his site. The Blue Lagoon handle has a depth of varying degrees of blue that really become quite translucent in the light. It is flawless, and I'm really glad I picked the Silksmoke knot to pair with it. The knot a grayish smokey misty color and aptly named, and it is a prefect match for the blue handle. I don't like a lot of marbling affect in a lot of brush handles, but the Faux marble is more traditional without a lot of colors. It looks like marble and that is good. The Synbad knot fits it well with the brown with light tipped fibers. Better than trying to truly express the color combinations here are the photos (as inadequate as they may be):

24mm Synbad with with Faux Marble Handle and 24mm Silksmoke with Blue Lagoon handle.
004_50.jpg

Silksmoke
005_50.jpg

Synbad
011_50.jpg

I haven't tried either brush yet. This week's OCD rotation won't permit it. I'm currently using my Omega S10065 brush. My brain would snap if I mixed it up mid stream. Next week I may pick one of these brushes to use first, or I will simply choose to use both and rotate them. Both of them have a super soft feel. They feel softer than my Maggard Plisson style knot. The Synbad is a denser packed knot than the Silksmoke. The Silksmoke is pretty dense. I am quite pleased with these additions.

Last edited:
I actually got that same synbad brush last week! It's a tiny bit softer than the tuxedo brushes, and splays a tiny bit better. Honestly though, they are such minor differences that I wouldn't even have noticed them if I didn't know to look for them. It's a very attractive brush though!

APShaveCo has some great synthetic knots. I think they started the Tuxedo knot craze, which was my first knot from them.

That knot led to the SilkSmoke, then the Cashmere and finally the SynBad.

The SynBad feels most badger like while the Cashmere is soft and firm like a boar. Each one whips up lather like nobody's business. Sadly, like all synths, they don't hold heat or water but each in their own way are worth having in your den.

marty

Raven Koenes

My precious!
APShaveCo has some great synthetic knots. I think they started the Tuxedo knot craze, which was my first knot from them.

That knot led to the SilkSmoke, then the Cashmere and finally the SynBad.

The SynBad feels most badger like while the Cashmere is soft and firm like a boar. Each one whips up lather like nobody's business. Sadly, like all synths, they don't hold heat or water but each in their own way are worth having in your den.

marty
My journey into synth-bad has just taken a turn for the worse (better). I have on order two Nu-Brush systems from APShavco. A 24mm Tuxedo and a 24mm Cashmere. I thought to myself buy them all...well except for his synthetic horse hair knot. I'm not quite interested in that one. So, I will have one of each like you have. Along with my Maggard synth that will mean enough for a five day rotation (which was my master plan all along). I do like menthol shaving soaps, so the synthetic brushes holding heat, although nice, isn't that big an issue...plus I've used a lot of boars. Thank you for the heads up descriptions.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
My journey into synth-bad has just taken a turn for the worse (better). I have on order two Nu-Brush systems from APShavco. A 24mm Tuxedo and a 24mm Cashmere. I thought to myself buy them all...well except for his synthetic horse hair knot. I'm not quite interested in that one. So, I will have one of each like you have. Along with my Maggard synth that will mean enough for a five day rotation (which was my master plan all along). I do like menthol shaving soaps, so the synthetic brushes holding heat, although nice, isn't that big an issue...plus I've used a lot of boars. Thank you for the heads up descriptions.
5 day rotatr? Not to enable
But you've got space for 2 more...

I got the 24 mm SynBad in a Blue Lagoon handle.
It's my favorite brush these days, for everything.
It is a bit of a lather hog though, which took some getting used to when making lather in a bowl.
The Blue Lagoon handle has sort of a chatoyancy effect that is hard to show in a photo, so I made a short video.
Even that doesn't do it justice.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I got the 24 mm SynBad in a Blue Lagoon handle.
It's my favorite brush these days, for everything.
It is a bit of a lather hog though, which took some getting used to when making lather in a bowl.
The Blue Lagoon handle has sort of a chatoyancy effect that is hard to show in a photo, so I made a short video.
Even that doesn't do it justice.
:001_wub: I totally agree with the Blue Lagoon Handle. Thank you so much for the video. It kind of captures it! :w00t:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
5 day rotatr? Not to enable
But you've got space for 2 more...
I shave five days a week. My wife likes beard stubble on me so the weekends are hers. :001_smile That said, Five is only the base number of what is needed. I also need five Omega S-Brushes to replace my boars, and that is only a base number as well. I don't want to get greedy, though, having more than is needed...:001_tongu

Top Bottom