What's new

My first Allen Edmonds (including pic)

These are my first pair of AE's.

I went from Ecco's (comfy, durable, but not quite as dressy - atleast in my opinion), Cole Haan's (Purchased 2 pairs last June and one pair is falling apart, not impressed). So I figured I would bite the bullet and buy these. I need to pick up some shoe trees and waterproof them, but looking forward to wearing them :thumbup1:

Attachments

• $20140107_135840.jpg
    $20140107_135840.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 270
I would strongly recommend that you do NOT wear them in the water. Especially if the soles are entirely leather. Water can do a lot of harm to the leather. A few days in sprinkley rain is fine, but if it's pouring outside, either grab galoshes, or have a back up pair of cheapie shoes that can get ruined.

Anyone buy their shoes on Ebay?

I've had some luck in the past, and since the uppers on the AEs are so well made once you slap some new soles on them they last a lifetime.

I would strongly recommend that you do NOT wear them in the water. Especially if the soles are entirely leather. Water can do a lot of harm to the leather. A few days in sprinkley rain is fine, but if it's pouring outside, either grab galoshes, or have a back up pair of cheapie shoes that can get ruined.

Here is the problem, I live in Alberta Canada and there is a good 6 months of slushy winter. I do have a pair of rubber galoshes but it is very difficult to avoid water/snow when even walking from the car to the office can leave the shoes getting pretty wet. I will try my best at the using my old eccos.

Any suggestions for waterproofing protection....just polish/waterproof spray?

I can't see the pic right now, but generally for good dress shoes, you don't "waterproof" them like you would boots or something. Just conditioner, cream polish, and a wax polish outer coat. If you walk in slushy snow with leather soles, you will drastically reduce the lifespan of the shoes, and probably fall on your ***. I would highly recommend going to a cobbler and having them put on a rubber topy sole if you plan on everyday wear for these. So basically, you waterproof them by not getting them soaked :p

Sharp looking shoes my friend!

Any reason you can't wear the galoshes into the office and then put these on once you're protected from the elements?

I just bought these from To Boot to replace my Allen Edmonds Park Avenues..... Wanted something a little more modern yet still as versatile as a cap toe

$Photo Jan 08, 12 12 44 PM.jpg$Photo Jan 08, 12 12 34 PM.jpg

Anyone buy their shoes on Ebay?

I've had some luck in the past, and since the uppers on the AEs are so well made once you slap some new soles on them they last a lifetime.

I'd recommend not doing that, unless you plan on sending them in to AE for refurbish. Their soles are filled with hot cork when made so that they will custom fit to your foot as you break them in http://www.allenedmonds.com/heritage/C_Cork.html

so if you buy a paid of used AE's, you're going to wear soles that are broken in for someone else's feet

Here is the problem, I live in Alberta Canada and there is a good 6 months of slushy winter. I do have a pair of rubber galoshes but it is very difficult to avoid water/snow when even walking from the car to the office can leave the shoes getting pretty wet. I will try my best at the using my old eccos.

Any suggestions for waterproofing protection....just polish/waterproof spray?

Ah I see, that makes sense. As another person said, definitely get rubber soles installed, that will give you more traction, and help keep the leather sole safe. Another thing that I would recommend is putting a few solid layers of wax, to create a heavy layer/boundry (but well done, polish it in, don't just slap it on!) not only will you get a good shine, but it will help "waterproof" the shoe to an extent. Still, for very heavy rainy days, wear a throwaway shoe. Hopefully you won't have too many of those!

My longer lasting shoes for work have been leather soles with heel rubber and small dots or a small rectangular strip under the balls of my feet. It gets wet here a lot in the winter and it's incredibly easy to slip on the floor at work. I'd never fully rubberize the soles of leather shoes.

I'd recommend not doing that, unless you plan on sending them in to AE for refurbish. Their soles are filled with hot cork when made so that they will custom fit to your foot as you break them in http://www.allenedmonds.com/heritage/C_Cork.html

so if you buy a paid of used AE's, you're going to wear soles that are broken in for someone else's feet

Wow, great info, thanks. I did not know this either and had been looking at AE's on Ebay. Would they not re-form to the new foot though upon consistent wearing?

Wow, great info, thanks. I did not know this either and had been looking at AE's on Ebay. Would they not re-form to the new foot though upon consistent wearing?

maybe eventually... but once the cork displaces around a foot, getting to re-expand in the places needed.... not sure if that would happen or not

On the other hand a lot of people wear second-hand shoes to save a buck. Usually when you get them the soles are close to shot anyway so you need recrafting. Generally the foot-bed isn't going to be so deformed that it will make them unwearable. It just won't be optimally comfortable. Eventually you will probably get them recrafted anyway, so it's not something that makes the shoe unwearable for anyone else for all eternity.

Top Bottom