What's new

My first 8 months - and a safer path for new DE shavers

Thanks for a great post. Seems like I follow almost every step of yours, except that I now have 2 creams (Proraso and TOBS Sandalwood) and a soap (Mitchell's Wool Fat) in my rotation. I, however, use only Feather blades in my shave.

Why, you might ask? It's because I live outside the US, so everything comes with (somewhat high) shipping fee. Ordering sampler blades just to find out which brand I like most so I could order it again would mean I have to pay twice. Another reason is when used with a mild razor like EJ DE89 Barley, Feather remains sharp, yet still be forgiving enough that it's given me only a few nicks during the shave so far.

One of the best razor blade vendors is based out of Singapore, you could probably get a pretty good deal on shipping there....

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
You're welcome! *blushing* I had fun doing it!

Got a BBS this morning with Queen Charlotte Provence cream, and SuperMax Platinums in my DE89 with BRW handle. Wore a tie all day. Neck feels and looks great!

Terrific post! Two things 1: I would have dialed in my lather faster had I followed this advice and 2:feather blades are all I have ever used because I bought a feather de (only razor I ever used!) so I'm a bit of a weirdo. I married the first girl I kissed, so to speak. :001_smile I only post this so any newbie that has committed to a feather de doesn't feel that they messed up! Just be careful. The OPs advice is rock solid.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Feathers are fine blades. But again, my motivation is to start folks out with 'everyman' products known to work for the widest percentage of people. Some folks can start with feathers and do well, obviously, as you have. But it's not the way to bet. And the folks who think they will hasten the mastery of a new fine motor coordination skill just don't understand how people learn. It's that simple.

Nothing against feathers or any other product! I hope people understand that. This was more about a learning process than an equipment list, although using more fiddly equipment (feathers, slant razors, MWF soap) while fine after one has some mileage behind them probably is counterproductive in the learning phase.

I'm actually quite happy the way this was received. I figured I might gore some oxes and get some folks upset, but I am gratified at the response from experienced shavers. Thanks much!

P

pdillon

As a beginner myself, I think this is great advice. Cutting down on the variables makes you focus on technique.

I stuck exclusively to the Merkur HD razor, the same blades and soap and only started to get consistent irritation-free shaves after about six months.

But I have a new razor and I feel like I'm starting over from scratch.

Viseguy, I would agree with that 100%. However,, I am trying to give advice someone will actually follow, and I think the temptation to experiment with lather products is almost overwhelming, so I'm allowing a little leeway here. ...

Point taken. One soap and one cream is a sensible suggestion.

I am sticking to what John is proposing, not too hard for me, the last three weeks I just had one Gillette fat boy and blades from my dad. I am not sure of the brand brand. It is made in the usa. BTW, what does MI as a date on my razor mean?

+1 to the OP.

Sticky this and make it compulsory reading for all us noobs. We've read the odd posts here and there talking about sticking to one product, one razor, one variable at a time (I've posted it too!) but not as eloquently as this.

What triggered the write-up John?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
What triggered the write-up John?

Well, I did it again. Typed a long response into why I did this then my login timed out and I lost it. I have to remember to write these in Notepad first, then post them.

Short answer is that being a martial arts trainer and amateur shooting coach, I realized that a lot of noobs were getting overwhelmed with too much variation in their setup to really settle in and learn technique. It would be like taking a new shooter to the range with 8 rifles, having him shoot 3 rounds from each, and then seeing if he could hit anything. Kinda dumb. Start with a .22, learn the basics, then move up to another gun, get comfortable with it, then start experimenting once you have the body positioning, breathing, sight picture and focus, and trigger control down.

People don't give bad advice around here at all. But there is entirely too much of it for a guy staring at his brush, mug and razor for the first time. There ought to be a learning track practically everyone can run on for the first 6-8 weeks, I figured. There'd be more and faster success stories. And plenty of time after that to feed the acquisition disorders. That's what I was thinking.

I'd like to start by saying that this is a great post and that it gives some very good advice for people just starting out. I have only been using a DE razor for a couple of weeks and the blade I started with was the Merkur blade that came with my 34c. I went ahead and bought a sample pack of razors with my initial purchase and decided that my next blade would be the Derbys. I think that this choice really exposed my inexperience with a DE razor. I didn't cut myself and actually only nicked myself in one spot, but I got razor burn something fierce. I did, however, replace the blade after it dulled with another Derby and really focused on the angle of the blade with my next shave and I did fine. Thanks again for the post and great advice.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
You're welcome KyMash. You're a good example of a guy who the Derby's worked for, apparently. Again this wasn't intended to be a product thread ... but generally speaking I'd still recommend going with any Personna, Astra SPs or gillettes since they seem to work for a larger percentage of people. But those who love Derby's really love them, that's for sure!

Interesting example of the value of locking down even for an experienced shaver:

Yesterday, just for fun I grabbed my birth year Gilletter Red Tip. I Have used my Bob's Razor Works Bulldog XL with flare tip handle with the DE89 head now for months, EVERY day. The BRW setup probably weighs 4X what the Gillette does and is a lot longer. Every day I get a terrific, comfortable DFS or BBS shave with the BRW setup. Every day.

Yesterday, I had a long line of noticible stubble along my right jaw line and missed a patch right in the cleft of my chin. Spent just as much time on the shave (more, actually) was just as careful. But the experience is so different the shave was just not good.

That's why I don't have a 'rotation'. I'm shaving, the rest of the forum has a hobby. :wink2: For shaving, I'm staying locked down. For beginners? I think it is essential. Yesterday's experience just reinforced that conclusion. If you are playing with 6 razors and a dozen blades and bopping from tallow to cream to melt and pour soaps in your first few weeks, it isn't likely to be all that you had hoped it would be.

Great post for newbies and also in general. A few comments:

I always shower/shampoo/condition immediately before shaving. It accomplishes two important things, it removes body fats and oils from hair thereby allowing the lather to better interact with beard hairs and it softens the hairs making them easier to cut. If you cannot shower, try washing and rinsing the beard with soap and warm water two or three times in a row before lathering. Serial applications of a moderate amount of soap and warm water is usually more effective for removing oils and softening hair than a single application using a large amount of soap. Getting the beard as soft as possible is critically important for the prevention of nicks, weepers, razor burn, in-grown hairs, and skin irritation. This lesson becomes clear the first time anyone tries dry shaving without any advanced preparation.

First try a razor, blade, and soap combo that is well respected by many and hated by few and try sticking with it for a few weeks as suggested. It is no guarantee for success, but should significantly reduce the risk of having a bad outcome. There is plenty of time later to search for the products that will work the best for you. You will probably find that there are many products that work OK with experience, some that you hate, and a few that you will find give you your best shave ever. The goal for newbies should be avoidance of bad products, for them, until they develop good technique.

I use a Simpson Chubby 1, Best Badger, A Merkur Vision Silver Tip, and a cheap VDH brush. They all work for me.

I have had good experiences with the Merkur 34 and Gillette Slim adjustable and Tabac and MWF soap. I use and love Feather DE blades, but recommend trying the other blades suggested first. There are other products that are popular discussed, but I have no experience with them and prefer to comment based only on my experience.

HTH

Last edited:
OK, here goes the 1st posting...

I am also 8 months into this and, over that time, I would lurk and read the occasional thread here. Followed some great advice, but also got led down the garden path a few times. A posting like this would have been of great help, especially with the emphasis on keeping the equipment down to a minimum and learning to use it. I reached many wrong conclusions by failing to do this--for instance, at the very start, I imagined I hated feather blades, but it was actually because I was on to my 4th soap in 4 days and a bad one at that (or possibly one I hadn't mastered lathering yet).

My only small quibble here is the showering before a shave (I see there is a thread dedicated to this). On so many levels, it just seems wrong to me, but I suppose a good idea may be to try it for a week one way, then a week the other.

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
OK, here goes the 1st posting...

I am also 8 months into this and, over that time, I would lurk and read the occasional thread here. Followed some great advice, but also got led down the garden path a few times. A posting like this would have been of great help, especially with the emphasis on keeping the equipment down to a minimum and learning to use it. I reached many wrong conclusions by failing to do this--for instance, at the very start, I imagined I hated feather blades, but it was actually because I was on to my 4 soap in 4 days and a bad one at that (or possibly one I hadn't mastered lathering yet).

My only small quibble here is the showering before a shave (I see there is a thread dedicated to this). On so many levels, it just seems wrong to me, but I suppose a good idea may be to try it for a week one way, then a week the other.

Thanks for posting your experience! Yes, Feathers are fine blades, but if you had tried 4 soaps in 4 days and were using the fairly unforgiving feathers, I can imagine that was, um, less than ideal! :lol:

The shower is not necessary, really, but it was in keeping with my making this as fool-proof as possible, and a shower is a great start. However, if you shower in the evenings, the Kyle's prep is also fine. What I've noticed, though, is some guys have almost scalded themselves using water that is too hot and then they think the DE shaving process is too uncomfortable.

If you don't shower in the morning, then wash your face, and do a couple or three one-minute soaks with a wet washcloth pressed on your face, but only comfortably hot, not HAWT! After your first 45 days, play around with HAWT prep, ice water prep, tepid prep ... I think you will find if you are properly hydrated temperature simply won't make any difference in the closeness or comfort of the shave.

Boy, what great guidance for a newbie! I sure wish I had seen it or thought of it before going off the deep end. I've been (back) at this a very short time and already have more than a dozen razors, six creams, and about nine blade brands. I can't decide on anything. Good news is I really just like the heck out of wet shaving, and can't say that I've had a bad shave. In just the last week, I decided to put everything away except the Slim razor, Gillette 7 O'clock blades, and Spieck cream. I didn't know how long to limit myself to one set up. I'm going for 45 days now to concentrate only on technique and keeping all the other vatiables constant. Thanks a million JC.

Top Bottom