What's new

My First 3 Pass Shave: The Battle of the Grain

Let’s just say I got cocky with two XTG passes (with how my beard grows, getting WTG passes requires a feat of dexterity I just don’t have.) while shaving and decided to try an ATG pass at the end of the shave tonight. Hoo boy was it an adventure! Technically no razor bumps, but good lord almighty did my old spice aftershave burn afterwards. To the gents who can do a WTG, XTG, and ATG pass all in one shave; you’re a better man than I. :lol:

You may yet get the hang of it! For some it just take some practice, for others it’s just not a desirable pass due to skin/hair type.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. As your technique develops, you'll find ways to accomplish what you want, even if it's not the way that others do it.

No pressure and the correct angle are the keys.

Usually, it is a technique issue that gives rise to problems a new shaver is having. Putting too much pressure on your razor will result in cuts, nicks, and irritation. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I find that using the correct grip can make a big difference. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can so that it stays on your face and without it falling from your hand. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you.

Finally, look here for blade angle.

Like others have said it just takes practice and awareness. Practice with grip, pressure and blade angle. Awareness of blade sharpness and skin sensitivity. I like to go ATG with every shave (just doesn't feel like a good shave without) but I've be more or less aggressive with it depending on how many times a give blade has been used or what my skin condition is that day. For example - if I'm five shaves into a Dorco ST on a cold, dry winter's day, after a BBS the day before, more time and care is necessary to avoid blood letting.

Welcome! ATG is not required!

The main issues are: 1. Watch and maintain your razor angle, and 2. NO pressure!

Keep at it and you will get there!

....... The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you.

I fully agree with the "no pressure and the correct angle". However, I disagree with the method suggested in the "blade angle" article. Many people recommend starting with the comb against the cheek and the handle vertical. Then you rotate the handle upward until you begin to feel the blade on the skin. I recommend starting with the cap of the razor flat against the cheek and the handle horizontal. Then you rotate the handle downward until you begin to feel the blade on the skin. With some head designs, you will get the same end result. With other head designs, the second method will give less acute handle angle and a more comfortable shave.

For me the angle depends on the razor. A Gillette t
tech is definitely a "top cap shaver", but my 37c just loves an angle with the handle closer to vertical. The hairs just pop right off with very little effort.

To NRC, you will naturally get better at ATG as the years go on. Focus on getting comfortable shaves and the closeness will come. WTG, XTG, XTG or just 2 pass plus touch up (like Nick shaves on YouTube) will yeild great results for now. You may also notice that different areas accept ATG more readily than others. For me as a beginner, cheeks and chin ATG was fine but neck was a mistake. About a year later, upper neck no problem. Now after 2 years of wet shaving, the lowest one inch of my neck is the only holdout, and requires very special attention.

Enjoy the shaves, JM

Usually, it is a technique issue that gives rise to problems a new shaver is having. Putting too much pressure on your razor will result in cuts, nicks, and irritation. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I find that using the correct grip can make a big difference. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can so that it stays on your face and without it falling from your hand. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you.

This

Top Bottom