What's new

My fickle tastes

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Maybe some of you can relate.

For the longest time I was using various carts, now for some reason I'm just not that interested in them. Don't worry, I won't come around here and call you names for using them. I know how well they shave - and that is as good or better than I can do with my DE or SE 90+% of the time.

At the moment I just don't like all the plastic used in the carts and handles. I don't mean primarily from an environmental standpoint, more from an aesthetic and craftsmanship point of view I guess. I just crave simpler vs high tech.

I'm sure it's just a phase and in a few months I'll be looking for an 8 blade razor but for now, simple brush, simple soap, simple razor as much as possible.

Enjoy your shaves no matter what you use.

I hear ya ! Basically the same thoughts here. Only that wasteful over use of plastic makes me try to to stay with a DE. I do generally find a 2 blade cartridge or disposable a more comfortable and smoother shaving, and less chance of cutting myself razor.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I hear ya ! Basically the same thoughts here. Only that wasteful over use of plastic makes me try to to stay with a DE. I do generally find a 2 blade cartridge or disposable a more comfortable and smoother shaving, and less chance of cutting myself razor.
And honestly I do care about that aspect too. In the past I've pointed out the recycling program that Gillette backs, but as others have pointed out, sometimes those programs look better on paper than they work in reality. Seems easier not to generate the waste in the first place than come up with an effective way to deal with it.

I go back and forth between cartridges and DE myself. I'm in a cartridge phase right now, but I will probably switch back to DE when my carts run out.

I’m on a big time cartridge kick right now . Rotating between Trac II , Atra and Sensor . I will probably add DE back into the rotation at some point but I don’t think I will go back to DE full time .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe some of you can relate.

For the longest time I was using various carts, now for some reason I'm just not that interested in them. Don't worry, I won't come around here and call you names for using them. I know how well they shave - and that is as good or better than I can do with my DE or SE 90+% of the time.

At the moment I just don't like all the plastic used in the carts and handles. I don't mean primarily from an environmental standpoint, more from an aesthetic and craftsmanship point of view I guess. I just crave simpler vs high tech.

I'm sure it's just a phase and in a few months I'll be looking for an 8 blade razor but for now, simple brush, simple soap, simple razor as much as possible.

Enjoy your shaves no matter what you use.
So, the quality of your shave is similar regardless which type razor you use, but you don’t like the feel of the plastic parts in the carts and the handles. Is your fickleness based on the feeling of the handle while shaving?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
So, the quality of your shave is similar regardless which type razor you use, but you don’t like the feel of the plastic parts in the carts and the handles. Is your fickleness based on the feeling of the handle while shaving?

Partially. I could find a better handle I suppose, but then I'm still left with the plastic / modern head which then seems out of place. (I may get a better handle someday for whatever cart I decide on long term). What I want I can't seem to find. Something sleek and not overly heavy, but yet knurled like a traditional DE or SE handle. Most of the handles I've seen that are steel tend to be smooth or if not smooth, way to big and heavy. Something about 3.75 to 4 inches long and 3/8 inch in diameter would be about right, but would probably need to be Titanium to keep the weight reasonable.

And you're right. The quality of the shave is largely the same. I have to work a little harder with the DE and SE compared to the carts and sometimes I enjoy that. Other times I want the best fastest shave I can get.

Partially. I could find a better handle I suppose, but then I'm still left with the plastic / modern head which then seems out of place. (I may get a better handle someday for whatever cart I decide on long term). What I want I can't seem to find. Something sleek and not overly heavy, but yet knurled like a traditional DE or SE handle. Most of the handles I've seen that are steel tend to be smooth or if not smooth, way to big and heavy. Something about 3.75 to 4 inches long and 3/8 inch in diameter would be about right, but would probably need to be Titanium to keep the weight reasonable.

And you're right. The quality of the shave is largely the same. I have to work a little harder with the DE and SE compared to the carts and sometimes I enjoy that. Other times I want the best fastest shave I can get.
Unfortunately, we can’t always find exactly what we want. Manufacturers do market research to determine what to produce and we have to choose from the various options that they offer. There’s the balance between cheap but light and sturdy but heavy. Weren’t cartridge razors designed to be semi disposable?

I find that carts are relatively mindless. Grab any cart and off you go. My DEs take some finesse. Not huge amounts, but enough that if I stray from one long enough, it takes a shave or two get get back “in there.” So I never bother with carts anymore because then my DE shaves that are better, suffer. Besides carts are sans soul to me. The plastic is just, well, common.

But I’m fickle too. I’ll jump to straights for long periods of time when the days are longer. Summers.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Unfortunately, we can’t always find exactly what we want. Manufacturers do market research to determine what to produce and we have to choose from the various options that they offer. There’s the balance between cheap but light and sturdy but heavy. Weren’t cartridge razors designed to be semi disposable?

True on all counts. There are plenty of after market handles and they cater to wither those wanting something sleeker and smooth/shiny or industrial and not much middle ground.

I doubt what I want for a cart handle will ever exist and if it does it will cost more than I'd pay. Machined Titanium like I describe +$100 minimum I'd say. I'll take that $100 and put it towards a Rexx adjustable or a Sabre SE long before I'd splurge on a cart handle.

I find that carts are relatively mindless. Grab any cart and off you go. My DEs take some finesse. Not huge amounts, but enough that if I stray from one long enough, it takes a shave or two get get back “in there.” So I never bother with carts anymore because then my DE shaves that are better, suffer. Besides carts are sans soul to me. The plastic is just, well, common.

But I’m fickle too. I’ll jump to straights for long periods of time when the days are longer. Summers.
In my mind shaving should be semi mindless. It should be fast and comfortable without bloodshed. :) Using a DE takes some skill to prevent cuts while a straight edge requires the ultimate skill to prevent accidentally committing suicide. :)

In my mind shaving should be semi mindless. It should be fast and comfortable without bloodshed. :) Using a DE takes some skill to prevent cuts while a straight edge requires the ultimate skill to prevent accidentally committing suicide. :)
Mindless is what I did for years in the shower with a cart and body wash. I never want to go back to that! But man was it mindless.

Seriously though, shaving with a straight after a few years can be just as routine as shaving with anything else. I actually feel I can be a little less concerned using a straight than using my DE half the time. But not at first, that’s for sure. There’s a reason why I called myself Earcutter. Yup.

True on all counts. There are plenty of after market handles and they cater to wither those wanting something sleeker and smooth/shiny or industrial and not much middle ground.

I doubt what I want for a cart handle will ever exist and if it does it will cost more than I'd pay. Machined Titanium like I describe +$100 minimum I'd say. I'll take that $100 and put it towards a Rexx adjustable or a Sabre SE long before I'd splurge on a cart handle.
I got a Parker handle with knurling for my Mach 3 and I’ve been impressed with it. It’s just larger than I would like. What cart are you using?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Since about 99 percent of aftermarket handles are for Gillete, I'd go with a handle for Mach3 or Skin Guard which is the same as a Fusion handle.

The Parker is bigger than what I'd want. If only someone would make something in steel or Ti that was no larger than the Mach 3 handle with the black ribbing, in diameter and length. They all seem to love to make a bulbous fat middle or end for some reason.

Mindless is what I did for years in the shower with a cart and body wash. I never want to go back to that! But man was it mindless.

Seriously though, shaving with a straight after a few years can be just as routine as shaving with anything else. I actually feel I can be a little less concerned using a straight than using my DE half the time. But not at first, that’s for sure. There’s a reason why I called myself Earcutter. Yup.
At my age I’m not interested in learning how to use a straight razor nor even any blade razor. My middle name should have been Klutz. I’m sticking with my trusty Braun series seven electric which separates my skin from any blade with a thin metal screen. :)

Since about 99 percent of aftermarket handles are for Gillete, I'd go with a handle for Mach3 or Skin Guard which is the same as a Fusion handle.

The Parker is bigger than what I'd want. If only someone would make something in steel or Ti that was no larger than the Mach 3 handle with the black ribbing, in diameter and length. They all seem to love to make a bulbous fat middle or end for some reason.
Probably, the designers of these aftermarket handles probably hasn’t ever used one. :)

At my age I’m not interested in learning how to use a straight razor nor even any blade razor. My middle name should have been Klutz. I’m sticking with my trusty Braun series seven electric which separates my skin from any blade with a thin metal screen. :)
Not to be funny. But why are you on a wet shaving forum then?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Not to be funny. But why are you on a wet shaving forum then?

Not to answer for @Flyboybob but while this may be a forum catering mostly to wetshaving. There is a subforum for "modern" shaving methods.

Somewhere there may be an electric shaving forum with a subforum for "antiquated" shaving methods. Perhaps its called Badger and Foil :)

In addition, some of the electric only guys shave with them in a wet fashion.

Not to answer for @Flyboybob but while this may be a forum catering mostly to wetshaving. There is a subforum for "modern" shaving methods.

Somewhere there may be an electric shaving forum with a subforum for "antiquated" shaving methods. Perhaps its called Badger and Foil :)

In addition, some of the electric only guys shave with them in a wet fashion.
Well I stand corrected. I didn't think you could use an electric wet. But that would make sense.

I find this wet/traditional/DE/etc labeling pointless. Pogonotomy is about all forms of shaving, future, past and present.

Top Bottom