What's new

My favorite Proraso is just a shadow of its former self.

Proraso used to be the underdog that could take on all comers and win 95% of the time, 100% of the time in summer!The only soaps/creams in my 20 or so arsenal that could beat it by a small margin are MWF and SMN.

Proraso used to stand out from the crowd with its great refreshing, cooling and clean feeling. Now it just falls into the middle ground, sure the performance is there but it’s not better, just different to the old one. Standing in a light summer breeze after a shave with the old Proraso was one of the little joys in life, that has gone and now we have a boring cream that wants to be a soft soap appealing to the sensitive type. Old Proraso was much more refreshing!

Old Proraso had that punch in the face menthol, eucalyptus, cool, fresh feel that the new one lacks completely. Sure you can just smell the menthol and a little eucalyptus in the new one and when lathering (different to the old smell btw) but that’s where it ends. When the shave is over it’s just another soap/cream, Proraso doesn’t distinguish itself from the crowd anymore!

The lather itself is soft, fluffy and slightly airy, is cleaned off the face way too easily with a razor pass (where the old was hard to wipe off with the pass of the razor) feels thin/light when face lathering, doesn’t hold water on the face like the old one used to, feels more like a cream and isn’t so forgiving like the old one with water ratio (not that I use a lot of water), in other words it breaks down much quicker. FYI, I put a little water on soap for 10 min, soak brush for at least 10 min, squeeze and shake out water, throw water from soap, load for 40-60sec, wet face, face lather and dip tips lightly maybe 2-4 times to build lather. Also the new Proraso isn’t as confidence inspiring in the cushioning department as the old one, sure it has the slip but not the cushion and it’s more a cream slip than a soap one. Because the lather is light I feel like I have to tread more carefully with the blade. Even when loading the brush it feels more light and airy and this was an early sign for me that things didn’t change for the better. The shave itself has become much less satisfying! If I can’t dig in with the blade to a certain extent (I’m not talking 3000ft of pressure) and have to be careful all the time then the shave is less satisfying.

On the packaging, sure it looks fancy but is that what Proraso is or was or wants to be? I feel Proraso after comments on this site and others like it’s cheap and has sodium laurel sulphate made Proraso think they had to change and with that change have ruined one of the best soaps ever made. What about the 95% of people who never had a problem and didn’t think Proraso as cheap (price wise maybe but that hasn’t changed) but high quality and a soap that stood out from the crowd for a good price. SLS in Proraso must have been so low because it used to give me great after skin care or sls doesn’t matter? I’m sure those people who complained about sls in Proraso would find something wrong with most soaps instead of learning to lather properly and enjoy the old Proraso for what it was. I used to have issues with soaps before I learned to lather properly, MWF being one of them and blamed possibly lanolin when it was my lathering all the time, now no soap in my arsenal gives me dramas where before just the smell would make my face turn red! Even if they just changed the packaging to what it is now and not the ingredients I think Proraso is still being a bit pretentious? I thought the old packaging was very cool retro in a kind of way and very understated. The new label looks fancy and not something very historical at all and would feel out of place in an antiquated picture. The packaging sort of makes it feel more expensive so you expect something that after the shave doesn’t happen which makes it a bit of a letdown. Only in aftershave skin care does the new one still carry over the traits although in a different way.

Is it just the taking out of the parabens and sls that has made it feel vastly different, I’m no chemist but I think they’ve done more than just mentioned?

What Proraso should have done is keep the old green soap as is, the new green formula should have been the new white soap for the sensitive types with a slightly different scent with maybe less menthol and brought out a red with lanolin, then Proraso would have all the bases covered. To mess around with a classic is like BMW screwing up the 3 series sedan.

I don’t understand people who have reviewed the new Proraso soap claiming it hasn’t changed much, I couldn’t disagree more. My favourite is only a shadow of its former self prancing around in a nice jacket, take the jacket off and it’s just another boring cream pretending be a soap. It just doesn’t stand out anymore. Doesn’t even feel Italian anymore, there’s no flair except the packaging. Proraso used to be the little Alfa with a Ferrari engine under the bonnet that could keep up with the Bmw’s, Mercs and Astons and even beat them, now it’s trying to be a Ferrari, but instead is just a replica without the engine and it’s a replica with a 40kw boring Toyota hybrid of an engine!

Will people be talking about whole Proraso line up like they used to be, I think not. First time I used the old Proraso soap I went wow, cool, fresh, clean, Italian, great scent (new one lacks the depth), great aftershave skin care at a fair price. There’s definitely no wow in the new one! It pains me greatly to say all this and I just hope this great brand doesn’t fade into mediocrity. Just look how highly regarded the whole Proraso line up was around the world and like the old saying goes, if it isn’t broke don’t fix it!

Kenno slams his fist on the table and shouts out, “bring back the old Proraso”.

Mama mia, I just hope they keep their hands off Santa Maria Novella.

Last edited:
I find the opposite. I find the new Proraso to be one of the most refreshing and effective items in my den. It's very cooling, has lots of cushion and glide and honestly gives me the best shaves of anything I've tried so far. When ever I need an idiot proof shave I reach for Proraso soap. So far I've been through two tubes of the cream and I'm working on a tub of the soap now. I think I'll always have Proraso in the den.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Different people have different opinions on the same product. I personally find that the new Proraso is much better than its previous formula. For me better lather, better shave, better post-shave feeling.

My only two complaints about the new Proraso are the scent and lower menthol content. I don't mind the new scent; I just prefer the scent of the old version more.
I prefer the performance of the new version. For me it's noticeably slicker than the old Proraso.

I have never used the Proraso shaving soap. I have used about every other Proraso item though, and I like the line a lot. I wanted to give the shaving soap a try because I always use soaps instead of creams and I like soft soaps the best. I was also disappointed when I heard about the reformulation of the WHOLE line, which seems like the most extreme overhaul I've ever heard of before. Usually companies will tweak one or two products, not everything. However, I'm gonna be open-minded and give the new formulas a shot. I'm excited to try the new pre-shave cream and after shave balm since I use those products everday.

While I can't take a side about the soap since I've never tried it, I can at least appreciate your passion on the topic. I have to offer a suggestion though that has to do with the way B&B teaches soap lathering. I would never soak a soft soap like you are doing before you lather. Soft soaps dissolve very easily and will load on your brush better if they are not wet ahead of time. The moisture from your wet brush is more than sufficient to dissolve enough soap so it can load. When you wet it, all you are doing is dissolving the top layer of soap and diluting down the layer that will stick to your brush. You end up making a thinner lather. That slurry that is sitting on top of the wet soap puck, that you are going to make lather with, is a 50% shell of it's former self. It is an inferior material for lather making.

The same goes with soaking any soap for that matter, even if it is a hard puck. If you need to add more soap to the brush just add some more water to the brush. You end up making a much thicker and richer lather off a dry puck because you are picking up 100 percent pure product, not a 50 percent diluted version. I know this method is taught on the B&B soap lather tutorial but I don't know why???

I agree with the OP, I thought the old version was wonderful. It had wonderful cushioning lather and a cold in your face menthol blast that really made my Summer shaves refreshing. I recently picked up a tube of the new version and while it is slicker I was very disappointed in the lower level of menthol. I think the new version is ok if you never used the original, but I won't buy it again. I think they should have left the menthol as it was but YMMV. Now I'm off to buy as much old version C.O. Bigelow as I can find. :biggrin1:

Different people have different opinions on the same product. I personally find that the new Proraso is much better than its previous formula. For me better lather, better shave, better post-shave feeling.

+1

Prior to reformulation I never really cared for Proraso/Bigelow/Omega..I enjoyed the scent and cooling effect but the shaves I got were sub-standard and it dried my face out. Strangely, it gunked up my razors pretty bad as well. About a month ago I decided to try the new formulation and ordered a tub (I prefer tub over cream) and really enjoy it, to me the scent is almost the same but I get a much better shave and my face feels soft and well moisturized afterward. I keep hoping to see the red/sandalwood variety in the tub soon, can't wait to try it.

I agree with Jay about the menthol content. That's really what Proraso soap/cream is known for. I don't understand why they would change that.

Dang that's a long post....

I have to disagree with the parts I read. I think the new one is better in every way. To each their own. I love the old and the new and am fortunate enough to have some of both.

Without Coles Notes on the op I'm lost. I still have the old formula so I'll have to try the new.

I like the new version - it's not as "in-your-face" as the old one, but combined with the pre-shave you can raise the menthol level just the way you like it. I think they did a fantastic job and can only recommend to try this for yourself.

Hi gents,

Thank you for your thoughts but I don’t need a tutorial on lathering or using more product. Like I said in my opening post (I know its long but I’m passionate about Proraso) I load for 40-60sec and if that ain’t enough then???????. It really is enough product for a 3-4 pass shave and I normally do 3.

After 3 shaves with the new I just shaved with the old (same blade) and for me the performance of the old is head and shoulders above the new. Old 9.5 out of 10 new 6.5 out of 10.

If you have never used the great brand of Proraso then the new one would be an ok soap. As people rave about MWF and Cella I rave about the old Proraso (I rate it above Cella) and put it and SMN up there with best. The new one I would never put up with these top soaps and I think people will not be talking about Proraso like the old line was raved about for 50 years or more. There’s a reason the old Proraso was one of the most talked about and respected soaps and highly regarded, even by professionals!

I also don’t belive the performance is all there either, as far as slickness goes the new one has a different slickness but with much less cushioning. When I say cushioning I mean there used to be a great protective layer between the blade and skin. The new one has not got that level of cushioning but instead has a kind of cushioning that is more like a knife through melted butter where the old had the feel of a knife through half melted butter. The old one had more of a paste feel and the new one goes to water much quicker. Old=thickshake, new=milkshake.

Why Proraso would do such a radical change over the whole line is unusual, it’s a risk they didn’t needed need to make. They have done more to Proraso than just take out parabens and sls and I hope they aint headed in the same direction Sul Filo Del Rasoio is.

I have used proraso for 20 years so I know it like the back of my hand. Like Marco knows Cella I know Proraso soap.

I find it interesting that the people who said the old Proraso was a level below Cella are now saying the new one is vastly better, does that mean it’s as good if not better than Cella now?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Kenno, you have my total respect. If, for any reason, you find that the old Proraso was a better performing product for you and something you loved using much more than the new version, I have only one hint for you: try to stock up as much as you can of the old one. If properly stored and sealed in their original containers, the tubs will last a very long time and we are talking about years. Also, there are many B&B Supporting Vendors who still have many of these available at the moment. It is a real pity when a company changes or simply discontinues a product that we have happily used for a so long time - I was very sad and disappointed when I was informed that the famous La Toja Manantiales soap was no longer produced. If I knew this before, I would have purchased ten bowls of it without hesitation. Finally, as a general rule, always keep in mind that the most authoritative opinion is the one that comes from your own judgement. Hence, whatever others may say, trust your thoughts and believe in yourself.

Last edited:
Boy oh boy, I never tried the old but if it really was more protective than the new then it must have been a wonder product because I find the new stuff to provide incredible protection; honestly the best of any product I've tried so far. Sadly the SLS in the old formula made it unusable for me as SLS really irritates my skin.

Surely some will miss the old formula but the new formula has opened the door for many of us and I don't see the success of Proraso diminishing in the least.

If I judged on scent alone the original form Raso Green would win - hands down IMHO. I love the way it has infused my shaving cabinet to the point where I open it and get a soft waft of Raso every time.

I also miss the menthol hit but as I use the pre-post on every shave/every pass (even with other soaps and creams) this ain't an issue.

As to cushion/slip? I've less than a year of experience, I received a major haul of the new formula gear recently (AS, green and red tubes, white post cream) and was on a MWF "discovery" period which then became a Cella Monthathon (now in its second month) and I have exactly 2 shaves with each of the creams (plus a fair bit of the old form still around).

I'll reserve full judgment until more data available but until then - I think the new range is great but I'm missing aspects of the old. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be...

Proraso used to be the underdog that could take on all comers and win 95% of the time, 100% of the time in summer!The only soaps/creams in my 20 or so arsenal that could beat it by a small margin are MWF and SMN.

Proraso used to stand out from the crowd with its great refreshing, cooling and clean feeling. Now it just falls into the middle ground, sure the performance is there but it’s not better, just different to the old one. Standing in a light summer breeze after a shave with the old Proraso was one of the little joys in life, that has gone and now we have a boring cream that wants to be a soft soap appealing to the sensitive type. Old Proraso was much more refreshing!

Old Proraso had that punch in the face menthol, eucalyptus, cool, fresh feel that the new one lacks completely. Sure you can just smell the menthol and a little eucalyptus in the new one and when lathering (different to the old smell btw) but that’s where it ends. When the shave is over it’s just another soap/cream, Proraso doesn’t distinguish itself from the crowd anymore!

The lather itself is soft, fluffy and slightly airy, is cleaned off the face way too easily with a razor pass (where the old was hard to wipe off with the pass of the razor) feels thin/light when face lathering, doesn’t hold water on the face like the old one used to, feels more like a cream and isn’t so forgiving like the old one with water ratio (not that I use a lot of water), in other words it breaks down much quicker. FYI, I put a little water on soap for 10 min, soak brush for at least 10 min, squeeze and shake out water, throw water from soap, load for 40-60sec, wet face, face lather and dip tips lightly maybe 2-4 times to build lather. Also the new Proraso isn’t as confidence inspiring in the cushioning department as the old one, sure it has the slip but not the cushion and it’s more a cream slip than a soap one. Because the lather is light I feel like I have to tread more carefully with the blade. Even when loading the brush it feels more light and airy and this was an early sign for me that things didn’t change for the better. The shave itself has become much less satisfying! If I can’t dig in with the blade to a certain extent (I’m not talking 3000ft of pressure) and have to be careful all the time then the shave is less satisfying.

On the packaging, sure it looks fancy but is that what Proraso is or was or wants to be? I feel Proraso after comments on this site and others like it’s cheap and has sodium laurel sulphate made Proraso think they had to change and with that change have ruined one of the best soaps ever made. What about the 95% of people who never had a problem and didn’t think Proraso as cheap (price wise maybe but that hasn’t changed) but high quality and a soap that stood out from the crowd for a good price. SLS in Proraso must have been so low because it used to give me great after skin care or sls doesn’t matter? I’m sure those people who complained about sls in Proraso would find something wrong with most soaps instead of learning to lather properly and enjoy the old Proraso for what it was. I used to have issues with soaps before I learned to lather properly, MWF being one of them and blamed possibly lanolin when it was my lathering all the time, now no soap in my arsenal gives me dramas where before just the smell would make my face turn red! Even if they just changed the packaging to what it is now and not the ingredients I think Proraso is still being a bit pretentious? I thought the old packaging was very cool retro in a kind of way and very understated. The new label looks fancy and not something very historical at all and would feel out of place in an antiquated picture. The packaging sort of makes it feel more expensive so you expect something that after the shave doesn’t happen which makes it a bit of a letdown. Only in aftershave skin care does the new one still carry over the traits although in a different way.

Is it just the taking out of the parabens and sls that has made it feel vastly different, I’m no chemist but I think they’ve done more than just mentioned?

What Proraso should have done is keep the old green soap as is, the new green formula should have been the new white soap for the sensitive types with a slightly different scent with maybe less menthol and brought out a red with lanolin, then Proraso would have all the bases covered. To mess around with a classic is like BMW screwing up the 3 series sedan.

I don’t understand people who have reviewed the new Proraso soap claiming it hasn’t changed much, I couldn’t disagree more. My favourite is only a shadow of its former self prancing around in a nice jacket, take the jacket off and it’s just another boring cream pretending be a soap. It just doesn’t stand out anymore. Doesn’t even feel Italian anymore, there’s no flair except the packaging. Proraso used to be the little Alfa with a Ferrari engine under the bonnet that could keep up with the Bmw’s, Mercs and Astons and even beat them, now it’s trying to be a Ferrari, but instead is just a replica without the engine and it’s a replica with a 40kw boring Toyota hybrid of an engine!

Will people be talking about whole Proraso line up like they used to be, I think not. First time I used the old Proraso soap I went wow, cool, fresh, clean, Italian, great scent (new one lacks the depth), great aftershave skin care at a fair price. There’s definitely no wow in the new one! It pains me greatly to say all this and I just hope this great brand doesn’t fade into mediocrity. Just look how highly regarded the whole Proraso line up was around the world and like the old saying goes, if it isn’t broke don’t fix it!

Kenno slams his fist on the table and shouts out, “bring back the old Proraso”.

Mama mia, I just hope they keep their hands off Santa Maria Novella.

If Omega hasn't changed their soap, get that. Smells the same as the original Proraso to me. http://www.amazon.com/Omega-46001-Shaving-Cream-Bowl/dp/B000JY0X4U/ref=pd_sim_hpc_1

I like the new stuff, less dryness afterwards and just a more natural feeling experience overall. Still lathers great, scent is the same, and slickness is awesome.

Top Bottom