What's new

My favorite cartoons

Wow. I thought maybe I was the only one around who was kid enough to admit that I was hooked on cartoons. Probably my all time favourite was the old Tom & Jerry shorts with Mammy Two Shoes and NO political correctness. Of course when you are a kid, you don't get the sight gags and innuendo in those old cartoons. It makes them all the better now. I also love the old Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies. One particular gut buster was Bugs Bunny in the middle of a Hatfield and McCoy hillbilly feud. He grabbed up a fiddle and had the two rubes bashing each other over the head. I laugh till I'm sick every time I see it. As far as series toons, Jonny Quest and the original Scooby Doo Mysteries are at the top of my list. Jonny Quest was definitely the coolest kid around when I was growing up. Don't even bother with the drivel from the 70's by the same name. The animation was totally different and the pc police had neutered it but good. Stick with the originals. BTW, JQ was only the second prime time cartoon out there. It was preceded by the Flintstones. Here is the DVD set I have.

Regards, Todd

proxy.php

Well if we talking about favorites only one comes to mind: DROOPY
Loved all his cartoons, but specially inspector Droopy.
Calm, cool and collected.

I still think that Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies remains the epitome of cartoon artwork. Most cartoon animation these days is simplistic in it's details when compared to those. The amount of detail and workmanship in those old Warner Brothers classics still sets the bar today.

Here is a listing of free cartoons produced by Merry Melodies that you can download.
Merry Melodies link

You'll see that you are at the Internet Archive web site. There are lots of other riches to dig up there as well.

All of these are great cartoons. Although Phog Allen is right on the money with Tom and Jerry. I wanted to buy DVD's of their old cartoons, but I've been told they are edited to make them politically correct.

As far as new cartoons go, I hate the Cartoon Network's cartoons. All of the new ones have no class. The rendering is too simple and there is no depth to them. The Cobweb Hotel cartoon posted earlier, beats all of the new ones hands down.

In terms of sheer comedic genius, top honors go to the Chuck Jones/Michael Maltese Bugs-Elmer-Daffy trilogy of Rabbit Fire, Rabbit Seasoning and Duck Rabbit Duck. With lines like "Ah hah, pronoun trouble!" and Bugs spelling fricasseeing for Daffy "F R I C A S S E E I N G D U C K", these are not only the apex of animated humor but are just about the funniest film creations of all time.

The Hannah/Barbera Tom and Jerry shorts of the 1940’s are the pinnacle as far as animation quality is concerned. No where else can the effects of budget cuts be seen more clearly than in the gradual devolution of artwork in the T&J shorts - from the amazing peak during WWII to the mediocre style of the late 50s. The duo were turned over to a Czech firm and, later, Chuck Jones during the 60’s but these shorts only showed further decline in quality.

+1 for the 40s Tom and Jerrys but that singing frog one was great, I've never seen that one before.
Does anyone remember a cartoon featuring a Bulldog called Griswold? I cannot remember anything about them apart from his laugh. Both my mother, now 32 years gone and my wife call me Griswold because in their opinions I have the same laugh. A gross slander in my opinion!:mad:
John.

I'm proud to admit I grew up during the golden age of animation. BraveStarr and Dinosausers baby! Also, X-Men is/was probably the best action cartoon of all time.

Old 40s cartoons are probably my all around favorites. If I was to have to pick a more modern vareity, I would have to say the venture brothers is one of the better ones out there. Sadly though, they don't make them like they used to.

Top Bottom