What's new

My Fatip Nobile Black Tie Arrived Today

My whole life I had shaved with an electric shaver when I forgot it on a weekend trip. My wife convinced me it was time to try a blade. After some experimentation with a cartridge razor, I bought a DE razor and liked it.

Today, barely two months into wet shaving comes my FaTip Nobile Black Tie. I ordered it from Peter at Connaught Shaving in England. It came in a timely fashion and the price was right. Peter even threw in five GSBs, which I have not yet tried.

It's a great-looking razor but what's more it is super smooth and shaves very close. I used a new Derby Extra (Green), which works really well. I am aware of the alignment issue with FaTips. I also have a Testina Gentile Wenghe. What I've found is that when you assemble the razor as per instructions (i.e. upside-down) it lines up right every time.

Connaught Shaving recommends Christmas orders made by Friday, 12/7.

IMG_0738.jpg

My whole life I had shaved with an electric shaver when I forgot it on a weekend trip. My wife convinced me it was time to try a blade. After some experimentation with a cartridge razor, I bought a DE razor and liked it.

Today, barely two months into wet shaving comes my FaTip Nobile Black Tie. I ordered it from Peter at Connaught Shaving in England. It came in a timely fashion and the price was right. Peter even threw in five GSBs, which I have not yet tried.

It's a great-looking razor but what's more it is super smooth and shaves very close. I used a new Derby Extra (Green), which works really well. I am aware of the alignment issue with FaTips. I also have a Testina Gentile Wenghe. What I've found is that when you assemble the razor as per instructions (i.e. upside-down) it lines up right every time.

Connaught Shaving recommends Christmas orders made by Friday, 12/7.

View attachment 932668
I see you've got the Gentile version. Congrats. Did you consider the original style open-comb version?

I see you've got the Gentile version. Congrats. Did you consider the original style open-comb version?

Ha! No, one of the reasons I avoided wet shaving for 37 years is I do not have any fine motor skills. I think an open comb would soon look like a bloodbath!

Ha! No, one of the reasons I avoided wet shaving for 37 years is I do not have any fine motor skills. I think an open comb would soon look like a bloodbath!
Yeah ThirtyDee, but aggression and efficiency are not predicated by comb type. There's some killer aggressive safety bar razors like the Ikon Tech, and some very mild open comb razors like like the Merkurs. The thing is, an open comb gives a shave with a decidedly different feel than a safety bar. It's usually smoother and with far better glide and lubrication.

I do admit the Fatip open comb is moderately aggressive. But if I can ever convince you, consider trying the Razzorock in the link below. It's safe and mild, yet nicely efficient. And it will have a different face-feel than a safety bar. Everyone should try at least one open comb, just to see what they're missing.

RazoRock SLOC Double-Edge Safety Razor – ItalianBarber
proxy.php

Hey CC, thanks for the recommendation. I noticed that razor on RazoRock.com and I have to admit, I am intrigued. One day I shall try it.

Hey CC, thanks for the recommendation. I noticed that razor on RazoRock.com and I have to admit, I am intrigued. One day I shall try it.
My pleasure.

For what it's worth, what some believe is the same head is available from Alibaba Express for 4 bucks, and 5 bucks shipping to the States.

And by random luck, I just shaved with the SLOC this morning using a Feather. It was a great shave. For me the Feather picks-up the SLOC's efficiency a notch, making it perfect for an efficient but easy-going shave. But not everyone likes Feathers. I hope you get a chance to try it. Good luck!

My pleasure.

For what it's worth, what some believe is the same head is available from Alibaba Express for 4 bucks, and 5 bucks shipping to the States.

And by random luck, I just shaved with the SLOC this morning using a Feather. It was a great shave. For me the Feather picks-up the SLOC's efficiency a notch, making it perfect for an efficient but easy-going shave. But not everyone likes Feathers. I hope you get a chance to try it. Good luck!

Capisco, I've taken the plunge and shaved with an Open Comb today. My Schöne OC worked great. A keeper.
IMG_1189.jpg

Capisco, I've taken the plunge and shaved with an Open Comb today. My Schöne OC worked great. A keeper.
View attachment 1200244
The Fatip/Schone open combs are very smooth shavers. The open comb has some advantages. If you have hairs on the neck that lay down and resist being shaved, the open comb makes it easier to get them. The open comb also resists clogging if you use a heavier lather or shave less frequently.

I have been shaving with Fatips for a while now, OC and Safety Bar... there’s not any major difference between them, in my opinion. The head geometry is exactly the same, so is the shave. Both are fantastic! Smooth and efficient as no other razor I’ve tried.
I think I wouldn’t be able to tell them apart in a blind test

Anyway, enjoy your new Fatip! It’s a wonderful gem, 100% brass like the old Gillette’s and at a fantastic

I have been shaving with Fatips for a while now, OC and Safety Bar... there’s not any major difference between them, in my opinion. The head geometry is exactly the same, so is the shave. Both are fantastic! Smooth and efficient as no other razor I’ve tried.
I think I wouldn’t be able to tell them apart in a blind test

Anyway, enjoy your new Fatip! It’s a wonderful gem, 100% brass like the old Gillette’s and at a fantastic

I agree with this 100%. I still prefer the OC for some reason, but they really are pretty much identical during the shave. Slants might be a different story...

Top Bottom