What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I've built up a modest collection of Fatips with an added Joris and Schone Italian Open Comb. Fatips and the Schone Italian Open Comb are made entirely by Ilario Fazzini's factory in Premana, so the Schone is made by Fatip for Schone. The head of the Plisson Joris, or simply Joris, is made by Ilario Fazzini as well.

As you can tell I'm a bit into them. I feel very fortunate to have found my razors (plural) I find them most efficient and smooth shavers. I believe they are so smooth and efficient as the cap clamps the blade forward and no gap. This means the blade is clamped more rigid than razors where the blade is clamped further back on the baseplate and top cap. Rigidity equals smoothness, comfort, efficiency, and less irritation. A rigid razor is a more effective razor imo. I now have three of the Gentile solid bar razors, one in chrome, one in Wenghe wood, and one in Zebrano wood. I do like to switch things up back and forth between my open combs and the solid bars.

This page is to serve as a journal and record as I keep a track of my year of Fatips, Joris, and Schone shaves throughout 2018 and hopefully beyond. I will log and post photos along with any new acquisitions of Ilario Fazzini's products. I will endeavor to write my thoughts beyond the usual "That was a great shave" as I do this journal and post lots of photos. Please feel free to comment and add to any discussion if you so chose, and to post pictures of Fatip, or any Fatip related razors, out of Premana. Remember if there are no photos it didn't happen. :001_tt2: Mostly, I'm very curious about how this journey will unfold. :001_smile

Here is my collection as of yesterday when I acquired two pre-Fatip retooling Mk1 razors. The originals Fatips both the Grande and Piccolo.
From left to right by rows:
1. Fatip Pure Badger Brush, Fatip Zebrano Gentile, Fatip Zebrano, Fatip Wenghe Gentile, Fatip Wenghe.
2. Fatip Retro (chrome), Fatip Retro (nickel), Fatip Testina Gentile (chrome), Fatip Grande (chrome).
3. Fatip Grande Mk1 (nickel), Fatip Grande (nickel), Fatip Piccolo, Fatip Piccolo, and Fatip Piccolo Mk1.

rsz_062.jpg

From left to right by rows the same razors with my two non-Fatip-Fatips added in:
1. Fatip Pure Badger Brush, Fatip Zebrano Gentile, Fatip Zebrano, Fatip Wenghe Gentile, Fatip Wenghe, Plisson Joris (palladium engraved).
2. Fatip Retro (chrome), Fatip Retro (nickel), Fatip Testina Gentile (chrome), Fatip Grande (chrome). Schone (nickel).
3. Fatip Grande Mk1 (nickel), Fatip Grande (nickel), Fatip Piccolo, Fatip Piccolo, and Fatip Piccolo Mk1.

rsz_086.jpg

FJAAP_Badge.png FJAAP-Diamond-Membership.jpg @ BOSC R US.png where 564681-fc5721a1a51896bf8bb39decdf632837.png :devil: :crazy: :letterk1:

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Enablers Buy them all for science.jpg

Headed for the Nobel Prize you are.

The brush looks lonesome! Fatip makes only one brush, right? How sad. Something should be done!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Nice collection, but only one Joris. You must acquire more. They have many.

birds-iStock_000037527522_Large.jpg

As you can tell I'm a bit into them.

photofunky.gif

I believe they are so smooth and efficient as the cap clamps the blade forward and no gap. This means the blade is clamped more rigid than razors where the blade is clamped further back on the baseplate and top cap. Rigidity equals smoothness, comfort, efficiency, and less irritation. A rigid razor is a more effective razor imo.

This can never be said too often.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
View attachment 850212

The brush looks lonesome! Fatip makes only one brush, right? How sad. Something should be done!

Happy shaves,

Jim
View attachment 850212

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks for the encouragement Jim. I was looking at my collection and thinking it was a bit over the top. It was the first time I've seen them all together. Then I realized I'm only shaving with three or four basic heads, Gentile solid bar, Mk1 open comb, Mk2 open comb, and sometimes the Schone. So, basically, outside of perhaps Cal I'm a minimalist. :letterk1:

Nice try on the brush. I think she'll have to do for now. Maybe at some point I'll get her a back up mate, but brushes seem to really hold up well if treated with respect. After all we all can't be dead men walking as far as our wives are concerned. :001_tt2:

Oh, I'll try to get pictures later today, but the new chrome Retro I purchased has a rogue Mk1 head on it. The curious thing is it has the stamped logo on the baseplate. I thought about exchanging it for an Mk2, but then I thought it's an oddity and definitely worth keeping. If I want a Mk2 out of it I can switch caps with my chrome Grande. I actually have three Mk1's and one of them is unique. :w00t:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Here is the Pictures of my two Retros. The one on the left is my new chrome Retro with the rogue Mk1 head. Notice on the third picture the base plates are both stamped with the new Fatip logo meaning they are post Fatip's retooling.

Fatip Retro chrome Mk1 on the left, and Fatip nickel Mk2 on the right:
rsz_005 (1).jpg
rsz_007 (1).jpg
rsz_057.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
At least you dont need to mark one cap with a drop of blood to know which is which lol.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
So it looks like you're set for when you travel. What do you use at home?
I'm having to take one step at a time. I'm using a vintage travel razor at home for the time being. For now, I'm basking in the glow of all the money I'm saving not having to buy all those Bic disposables for travel. It's all part of my master plan and there's method to my madness. When I figure out what that method is I'll issue a full report. :letterk1:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I started using my new Fatip Wenghe Gentile my daughter gave me for Christmas. I shaved with it from the 1rst through the 5th. I used all my boar brushes which are a Semogue 620, Semogue 830, Semogue 610, Omega 10065 (red handle), and Omega 10065 (blue handle) not specifically in the order. I used a Polsilver blade, Proraso White soap, and Proraso Green splash. I will continue to use the Fatip Wenghe Gentile and the same Polsilver blade starting Monday on shave six.
Last weeks starting line up:
0024 (1).jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Rave, you have some nice kit. I like the boar brush collection.

Semogue brushes.jpg

Surprised you don't have a Semogue SOC boar (or, maybe you do, and it wasn't listed). It seems like a fine boar to me. Not saying yours are less than, because they are a fine collection.

I have the 830, too, and bet you like yours. Nice performing brush, and very pretty, I think.

My boars sometimes get neglected recently, but boars are brushes far better than the prices we pay for them, as a group, and I can understand why some guys wouldn't have anything other than a good boar brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rave, that is impressive! What dedication! What mania!

I concur:
1. Rigidity is the deciding factor in making a blade or a razor 'great' instead of 'good.'
2. Rabidus is more than an enabler . . . he's a cheerleader.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Wenghe
Blade: Polsilver (6)
Brush: TGN High Mountain White
Cream: TOBS Sandalwood
Aftershave: Figaro Monsieur Gold Splash
rsz_024 (2).jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Rave, you have some nice kit. I like the boar brush collection.

View attachment 850759

Surprised you don't have a Semogue SOC boar (or, maybe you do, and it wasn't listed). It seems like a fine boar to me. Not saying yours are less than, because they are a fine collection.

I have the 830, too, and bet you like yours. Nice performing brush, and very pretty, I think.

My boars sometimes get neglected recently, but boars are brushes far better than the prices we pay for them, as a group, and I can understand why some guys wouldn't have anything other than a good boar brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks for the chart Jim. When I was searching for boar brushes I had frugal in mind for the best bang for the buck. In some ways that has ended up being my Omega 10065 boars. I searched out threads of most loved boar brushes and decided on the 830, 620 and 610. Maybe at some point I'll get a Semogue SOC boar, but for right now I'm pretty set on brushes. If I was poor and the situation was such that I could only have one brush it would be a boar. They are so inexspensive and once broken in they are truly fantastic. I do like my 830 very much.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Rave, that is impressive! What dedication! What mania!

I concur:
1. Rigidity is the deciding factor in making a blade or a razor 'great' instead of 'good.'
2. Rabidus is more than an enabler . . . he's a cheerleader.
:thumbsup: I agree Rabidus/Anthony is and in a very BOSC way.

Thanks Spike, I like to think dedication, passion, and mania. Joining BOSC has more than enabled me not so much to acquire as to be out there. :letterk1:

Top Bottom