What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Nobile Horn
Blade: Gillette Platinum (8)
Brush: Omega S11745
Soap: B&M Cheshire
Aftershave: B&M Cheshire
029_50.jpg

Today's shave was much better and back on track. There were no acrobatics at all around my jaw line. It pretty much was a straight up wtg one pass. My one complaint is that B&M Cheshire splash is a little alcohol intensive. I do definitely have to rub it between my hands, and then let the air evaporate some of the alcohol off before applying. There was little or no feed back, but it sure made the tiny work related cuts on my hand sting. It does smell like the soap though. I look forward to going back to the one and only Veg!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Gillette Platinum (9)
Brush: Omega S10081
026_50.jpg

I'm three weeks into my one pass wtg. These are my thoughts so far. The objective of shaving is to remove hair from around your face. One pass does this. There are two things to consider about the nature of the shave. There is what others notice and what you notice. When you remove the hair from around your face it looks shaven. This goes to appearance. What you notice is that it may, or may not, be a bbs. This may be something you are willing or unwilling to live with.

The same can be said for a one pass shave or a three pass shave. When I do a three pass shave the amount of time the blade contacts my face is increased. For me the result, especially over a week of consecutive shaves, is the feel and look of being over shaved. Outwardly no one notices this. Inwardly, I notice that my skin appears less healthy than it does simply removing hair with a one pass.

It comes down this, what are the trade offs? What can you live with? For me, outwardly it's the day to day appearance, and inwardly it's the over all health of my skin that matters. Others may have a different take on what matters to them. @FarmerTan, Dave, said in regards to the three pass shave, "Our generation thinks we need to reinvent the wheel!" Maybe our grandfathers were on to something all along? This doesn't mean I won't ever use a three pass shave on occasions. For right now I don't see the need. That and I'm having too much fun with the traditional one pass. It is working brilliantly!

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Blade: Gillette Platinum (9)
Brush: Omega S10081
View attachment 1042952
I'm three weeks into my one pass wtg. These are my thoughts so far. The objective of shaving is to remove hair from around your face. One pass does this. There are two things to consider about the nature of the shave. There is what others notice and what you notice. When you remove the hair from around your face it looks shaven. This goes to appearance. What you notice is that it may or may not, be a bbs. This may be something you are willing or unwilling to live with.

The same can be said for a one pass shave or a three pass shave. When I do a three pass shave the amount of time the blade contacts my face is increased. For me the result, especially over a week of consecutive shaves, is the feel and look of being over shaved. Outwardly no one notices this. Inwardly, I notice that my skin appears less healthy than it does simply removing hair with a one pass.

It comes down is, what are the trade offs? What can you live with? For me, outwardly it's the day to day appearance, and inwardly it's the over all health of my skin that matters. Others may have a different take on what matters to them. @FarmerTan, Dave, said in regards to the three pass shave, "Our generation thinks we need to reinvent the wheel!" Maybe our grandfathers were on to something all along? This doesn't mean I won't ever use a three pass shave on occasions. For right now I don't see the need. That and I'm having too much fun with the traditional one pass. It is working brilliantly!

I learned to shave (to the degree I learned as a teenager which was minuscule) from my stepfather. He was probably a good enough shaver but a lousy teacher of shaving (of my skin and my whiskers anyway).

My father (as opposed to my stepfather) made no efforts that I remember to teach me to shave, but I observed him shaving. Sometimes he was more careful than other times. Sometimes he did a bit more skin stretching and would tell me why if I asked him. Usually or probably always he did the kink of contortion skin stretching I always do now. Sometimes I think maybe he did a bit of touching up.

I do not remember him ever lathering up a second or third time. Never.

I never heard of a lathered up second or third or fourth pass shave until I came to B&B!

That's not me being critical of a several pass shave. I almost always lather up two or three times. I almost always do some buffing. I generally do numerous unlathered (ghost lathered) passes.

With a very sharp straight razor edge, going ATG, or with some safety razors, I can sometimes get a quite good one pass shave. Not counting my lips and chin; these alway require more, but not always much more. Those shaves are better still with a second and third pass.

As you said, Rave, it depends what you want and what tradeoffs you make, but overdoing it is always going to lead to problems for me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I learned to shave (to the degree I learned as a teenager which was minuscule) from my stepfather. He was probably a good enough shaver but a lousy teacher of shaving (of my skin and my whiskers anyway).

My father (as opposed to my stepfather) made no efforts that I remember to teach me to shave, but I observed him shaving. Sometimes he was more careful than other times. Sometimes he did a bit more skin stretching and would tell me why if I asked him. Usually or probably always he did the kink of contortion skin stretching I always do now. Sometimes I think maybe he did a bit of touching up.

I do not remember him ever lathering up a second or third time. Never.

I never heard of a lathered up second or third or fourth pass shave until I came to B&B!

That's not me being critical of a several pass shave. I almost always lather up two or three times. I almost always do some buffing. I generally do numerous unlathered (ghost lathered) passes.

With a very sharp straight razor edge, going ATG, or with some safety razors, I can sometimes get a quite good one pass shave. Not counting my lips and chin; these alway require more, but not always much more. Those shaves are better still with a second and third pass.

As you said, Rave, it depends what you want and what tradeoffs you make, but overdoing it is always going to lead to problems for me.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I totally agree with you. Thank you for sharing background my friend. For now my thoughts are to be as comfortable in one's own skin as possible with the best possible appearance. If I use a three pass, bbs with dfs on my neck, in the morning my appearance will be acceptable going out in the evening. If I shave in the morning with a one pass, I may feel the need for another quick one pass shave before going out. If I do a three pass in the morning my face won't tolerate another shave at all. One pass in the morning and another before going out, if needed, equals two passes in a single day. That's nothing really. If I did a three pass in the morning, and a one pass in the evening that equals four passes in one day. A quick one pass in the evening, after a one pass in the morning, my skin could handle that without ever feeling over shaved. The funny thing is that my appearance would not be that much different if I didn't do an evening shave at all lol. But, yeah, over doing it is always going to lead to problems.

This is an interesting topic. I used to do 2 passes, one wtg, another xtg with a Bic disposable, in preparation for DE shaving. When I eventually started DE shaving I came across the Mantic advice of starting out with 1 or 2 wtg passes for at least the first 2 weeks. I'm still doing 2 wtg passes and I've been DE shaving for 3 and a half months. I've found that I can get close to DFS all above the jawline. Maybe with practice and the perfect razor and blade combination for my face, 1 wtg pass will eventually be all I'll ever need. I believe the advice of some experienced barbers is to only ever shave with the grain.

Multiple passes is unlikely to have been familiar to the earlier generations. My recently passed away Grandad (he missed a 100 years by just a few months) is my best example. Sadly I never talked to him about shaving but I watched him do it a lot when I was a kid and he soaped up his face with his brush, shaved and splashed aftershave on. He wasn't bbs I don't think because when I was very small and he hugged me I remeber the feel of his slightly rough face against mine.

The only other place I frequently wonder about the value of BBS is in romantic situations. Here are 2 pictures of an actor from the older generation.

Rear Window 43.10.JPG

Vertigo 01.11.48.JPG

James Stewart in both images, Rear Window top and Vertigo below. Look at how his face is pressed up against Grace Kelly in one, and Kim Novak in the other. I think a BBS in this situation would be desirable but of course it depends on the partner in question. I've both had and heard of complaints of stubble and likewise, compliments about it.

It's hard to say whether Jimmy Stewart is BBS or not by looking at him but he is well shaved in the classic Hollywood leading man style. A year or so back I watched Hail, Caeser!, the Cohen Brothers film about the movie industry of the period and both George Clooney and Josh Brolin were impeccably shaved. I'm confident it was BBS, you could see it in the close ups and it was in HD.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
This is an interesting topic. I used to do 2 passes, one wtg, another xtg with a Bic disposable, in preparation for DE shaving. When I eventually started DE shaving I came across the Mantic advice of starting out with 1 or 2 wtg passes for at least the first 2 weeks. I'm still doing 2 wtg passes and I've been DE shaving for 3 and a half months. I've found that I can get close to DFS all above the jawline. Maybe with practice and the perfect razor and blade combination for my face, 1 wtg pass will eventually be all I'll ever need. I believe the advice of some experienced barbers is to only ever shave with the grain.

Multiple passes is unlikely to have been familiar to the earlier generations. My recently passed away Grandad (he missed a 100 years by just a few months) is my best example. Sadly I never talked to him about shaving but I watched him do it a lot when I was a kid and he soaped up his face with his brush, shaved and splashed aftershave on. He wasn't bbs I don't think because when I was very small and he hugged me I remeber the feel of his slightly rough face against mine.

The only other place I frequently wonder about the value of BBS is in romantic situations. Here are 2 pictures of an actor from the older generation.

View attachment 1043041

View attachment 1043042

James Stewart in both images, Rear Window top and Vertigo below. Look at how his face is pressed up against Grace Kelly in one, and Kim Novak in the other. I think a BBS in this situation would be desirable but of course it depends on the partner in question. I've both had and heard of complaints of stubble and likewise, compliments about it.

It's hard to say whether Jimmy Stewart is BBS or not by looking at him but he is well shaved in the classic Hollywood leading man style. A year or so back I watched Hail, Caeser!, the Cohen Brothers film about the movie industry of the period and both George Clooney and Josh Brolin were impeccably shaved. I'm confident it was BBS, you could see it in the close ups and it was in HD.
I like watching the old films and broadcasts. I find myself comparing the quality of complexion from then and now. I notice that in modern times when a guy is on TV that I can pick out signs of pour shaves. There is a lot more redness, irritation, and bumps now days that you didn't see in the past. I chalk it up to modern shaving systems.

I'm lucky I guess being Dutch. My hair is fair and when I shave my face looks like a newborn baby. If I took a picture of my face with a one pass ccs to dfs and a bbs you wouldn't be able to see the difference. It lasts like that a long time. The trade off is my skin is also equally as fair, so it is prone to showing irritation easily.

We did have a member, and friend, who has taken a sabbatical. He told me he's done chasing a bbs because no matter how close he gets he still has a five o'clock shadow. He's taken up using an electric shaver and carts on the weekend. He says that none of his shaves are as close, but that it just doesn't matter to him anymore. He looks the same either way, and DE shaving is time consuming. He just wants to get it done. My thought is that a one pass with a DE can be as quick as an electric or a cart, and the results are superior. I think he should break out his beloved Piccolo and simply remove the hair from his face. I think he would find that more satisfying.

P.S. My wife is one who actually likes the feel of manly stubble. She also likes beards. So, I keep a goatee and don't shave on the weekends lol.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Gillette Platinum (10)
Brush: Omega S10065
022_50.jpg

Once again my last shave of the week was my best. For next week I'll be using my Fatip Testina Gentile with a 7 O'clock Yellow, CRS Wild Rose, APShaveco Synths, and to top it off Pinaud Lilac Vegital. I'll be going floral next week! :w00t:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Interesting reading on your one-pass endeavours, Rave. Mine fluctuate greatly, and largely go according to whim, much like one day we might want a full cooked meal, and on other days might just fancy a sandwich.

What surprised me most, was not just the fact that you found it acceptable (as many would after a few shaves) but that you've found it's actually better for you. I'm really glad you're getting increased comfort.

I completely agree that there's little difference for others to discern on one pass, and I still get closer results and greater comfort from one pass, than I ever would with electric. Despite that, there's still days where one pass wouldn't satisfy me, although I probably wouldn't go for a full three pass shave every day of the week, for the very same reasons you've mentioned.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Interesting reading on your one-pass endeavours, Rave. Mine fluctuate greatly, and largely go according to whim, much like one day we might want a full cooked meal, and on other days might just fancy a sandwich.

What surprised me most, was not just the fact that you found it acceptable (as many would after a few shaves) but that you've found it's actually better for you. I'm really glad you're getting increased comfort.

I completely agree that there's little difference for others to discern on one pass, and I still get closer results and greater comfort from one pass, than I ever would with electric. Despite that, there's still days where one pass wouldn't satisfy me, although I probably wouldn't go for a full three pass shave every day of the week, for the very same reasons you've mentioned.
Hi Al, I'm taking a bit of a break. My camera went down, and I won't be able to get a new one until about the New Year. Like Cal said. "If there are no pictures it didn't happen." I say, I'm using it as an excuse for a time out from my routine. I am using my Gentile with a Gillette 7 o'clock yellow. Sunday I did a one pass shave wtg shave without any skin stretching to see how that would go. Today I went back to skin stretching. It was a much better shave. I don't stretch taut per say but enough. I'm still enjoying and experimenting. The solid bar is a different animal, but my second shave was also pretty good. I'm enjoying this. At some point I may throw in some multiple pass shaves. It won't be anytime soon. Cheers

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi Al, I'm taking a bit of a break. My camera went down, and I won't be able to get a new one until about the New Year. Like Cal said. "If there are no pictures it didn't happen." I say I'm using it as an excuse for a time out from my routine. I am using my Gentile with a Gillette 7 o'clock yellow. Sunday I did a one pass shave wtg shave without any skin stretching to see how that would go. Today I went back to skin stretching. It was a much better shave. I don't stretch taut per say but enough. I'm still enjoying and experimenting. The solid bar is a different animal, but my second shave was also pretty good. I'm enjoying this. At some point I may throw in some multiple pass shaves. It won't be anytime soon. Cheers

Sorry, but I can't understand you. It's almost like, well, like, it didn't happen. I'm very confused but I've taken it up with Big Nurse.

1576607772330.png

How do you find the Gentile shaves as compared with the OC Fatips? To me, the Gentile is almost as efficient and the OC Fatips are almost as smooth.

Oh, the shot helped. I'm a little better now. Not much, but a little.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Sorry, but I can't understand you. It's almost like, well, like, it didn't happen. I'm very confused but I've taken it up with Big Nurse.

View attachment 1044450

How do you find the Gentile shaves as compared with the OC Fatips? To me, the Gentile is almost as efficient and the OC Fatips are almost as smooth.

Oh, the shot helped. I'm a little better now. Not much, but a little.

Happy shaves,

Jim
A time out from my posting routine...not shaving!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Yes, but what did Cal say?
That's why everything I'm saying is hearsay. Whether it happened, or not, you'll never really know for sure. Even for me it's circumstantial. I look in the mirror and my face is clean shaven. That means I must have shaved in the morning. Yet, I have no pictures to prove for certain that I did or exactly what it was that I used. I do agree that the Gentile is almost as efficient and the OC Fatips are almost as smooth. This is exactly what I am finding this week believe it or not.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Hi Al, I'm taking a bit of a break. My camera went down, and I won't be able to get a new one until about the New Year. Like Cal said. "If there are no pictures it didn't happen." I say, I'm using it as an excuse for a time out from my routine. I am using my Gentile with a Gillette 7 o'clock yellow. Sunday I did a one pass shave wtg shave without any skin stretching to see how that would go. Today I went back to skin stretching. It was a much better shave. I don't stretch taut per say but enough. I'm still enjoying and experimenting. The solid bar is a different animal, but my second shave was also pretty good. I'm enjoying this. At some point I may throw in some multiple pass shaves. It won't be anytime soon. Cheers

Don't fixate too much on the pics Rave. I hardly post any on my journal, but still gibber on merrily. :D

We'll still believe what you'd tell us while you get armed with a replacement pic maker, and we'd miss you if you stopped posting.

... or you could always ask that nurse of yours for some crayons, and then scan your drawing :lol:

Top Bottom