What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Brushes. Maybe Rave has just a few...

Some guys have a couple of hundred which is fine with me but I don't get it. Of course, they don't get (maybe) how many razors or soaps I have.

Happy shaves regardless,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Joris
Blade: Shark SS (7)
Brush: APShaveco Silksmoke
Soap: Fine Snake Bite
Aftershave: Osage Rub
035_50.jpg

I'm in menthol heaven this week. It's a nice switch up. It is time to break out the menthol chill as winter is approaching. The shave was my quick 2 1/2 passes with a bbs on face and dfs on my neck. That's the way I like it. The Shark blade has really mellowed nicely and is in the midst of its stride on day 7. It really is a nice SS blade. I keep going back and forth between Stainless and Platinum. I guess they are both about even in my book. Platinum may be slightly more comfortable for the first few shaves, but after they hit their stride they both even out nicely.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Now that you've acquired the taste for it and gotten past the initial shock what do you think about the O.Rub, Rave?

I like O.R. myself on occasion as you know, but mostly don't like menthol (except is such small amounts the product has no menthol scent).

The Rub is powerful.

Isn't Snake Bite menthol, too?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Now that you've acquired the taste for it and gotten past the initial shock what do you think about the O.Rub, Rave?

I like O.R. myself on occasion as you know, but mostly don't like menthol (except is such small amounts the product has no menthol scent).

The Rub is powerful.

Isn't Snake Bite menthol, too?

Happy shaves,

Jim
The rub is awesome. You can see the menthol crystals in the Snake Bite soap. They look like reflective fibers. They both work really well together for those days when I'm not into my scented soaps. The Rub and Snake Bite have only one scent...menthol.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Shark SS (8)
Brush: APShaveco SynBad
032_50.jpg

Shave 8 on a Shark SS blade was smooth. Things are still in the flow. I'm totally at ease with my larger, heftier, Joris. I really like the refined Fatip head Joris uses. It's a very efficient and the razor gets the job done with minimal effort on my part. Plus, it's real purtty to look at. Like David lee Roth once said, "It's not whether you win or loose, it's about how good you looked doing it." I can't do much about my looks, but this razor has it in spades.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Shark SS (9)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo
030_50.jpg

Where has this two weeks gone using my Joris? I'm already on day 9 with it and a Shark SS blade. One more shave and my Joris will go back into the depths of my rotation. I'm really considering doing a extended stay with my Fatip Grandes.

I'm finding the chill of Fine Snake Bite has less affect on me as the week goes on. I always find my soaps are better on the first day of the week. Maybe it's the 72 hours of stubble that I prep and take down rather than daily 24 hours growth? Don't get me wrong, good soaps are good soaps and Fine can hang with the best of them.

Anyway, great shave, great fun!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I always find my soaps are better on the first day of the week.

I wonder if a part of that is simply the change making it more noticeable, having become acclimatised, and to some extent desensitised, to the soap you were using for the week before...? Certainly makes sense (to me) from a scent perspective anyway.

I always find the first use of the soap to be the worst (sorry to be contrary, Rave), as I'm not as fluent in using it, and subsequent uses soften it up a bit, which makes it yield easier.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Shark SS (10)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Cashmere
033_50.jpg

Today's shave was the last shave of the week, and once again it was the best shave of the week. Next week I'll use my Vintage 1980's Fatip paired with a fresh Shark Platinum blade. The new Shark Platinum blade is really nice. It is sharp and smooth and holds its edge. My Omega S-brushes will be up. I'll continue on using Fine soaps. This time it will be Fine Lavender Pour Homme with Reuzel as an aftershave.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I wonder if a part of that is simply the change making it more noticeable, having become acclimatised, and to some extent desensitised, to the soap you were using for the week before...? Certainly makes sense (to me) from a scent perspective anyway.

I always find the first use of the soap to be the worst (sorry to be contrary, Rave), as I'm not as fluent in using it, and subsequent uses soften it up a bit, which makes it yield easier.
I think you might be right about becoming acclimatized and slightly desensitized (at least with menthol). For some reason I find the slickness best on the first day. I also find the soap gets easier to load as it gets softer. By Friday it loads perfectly. I really don't know why soaps are so slick for me on the first day. I do think it has to do with the 72 hours of growth and how the soap is retained. That first pass is always wonderfully slick. I almost always sing a new soap praises on the first use. Then as I settle into the week I can compare it more honestly to my favorites. Usually, they are all pretty close in my top tier range. Recently Tcheon Fung Sing and De Vergulde Hand have failed to meet my standard. TFS failed on the subsequent shaves, and DVH right from the start. This means TFS wins out by a nose.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I think you might be right about becoming acclimatized and slightly desensitized (at least with menthol). For some reason I find the slickness best on the first day. I also find the soap gets easier to load as it gets softer. By Friday it loads perfectly. I really don't know why soaps are so slick for me on the first day. I do think it has to do with the 72 hours of growth and how the soap is retained. That first pass is always wonderfully slick. I almost always sing a new soap praises on the first use. Then as I settle into the week I can compare it more honestly to my favorites. Usually, they are all pretty close in my top tier range. Recently Tcheon Fung Sing and De Vergulde Hand have failed to meet my standard. TFS failed on the subsequent shaves, and DVH right from the start. This means TFS wins out by a nose.

Yeah, the longer growth wicking up more of the hydration for a softer beard, and the better rested skin, do make for a really nice shave. You may well have a point with it holding the lather better too.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My whiskers are noticeably easier to cut after 48 hours growth compared to 24 hours. The longer the growth, the easier my shave. I'm not sure why, I never thought about it.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Razor: Fatip Grande c
Blade: Shark Platinum (1)
Brush: Omega S10019
Soap: Fine Lavender Pour Homme
Aftershave: Reuzel
034_50.jpg

I was going to break out my Vintage 1980's Fatip for OCtober. I decided not to. It has been since about July that I have been finding my Fatip Grande Mk2 to be the razor I most enjoy using. I own one of each of the line that Fatip produces. All the Wood's, Nobile's, Piccolo's, Grande's and Retro's. I also own the Mk1 versions of the Piccolo's Grande's and Retro's. So, to come to the conclusion that the Grande Mk2 (both chrome and nickel) are the one razor that I want to use is pretty big for me. So, I put the 1980's back on the shelf and grabbed the razor I really want to use. I know I could showcase a really cool razor for OCtober or I could have fun. I chose fun.

On another note, the new Shark Platinum blades really rock. They are sharp and smooth. In my opinion they equal any of the Gillette blades out of St. Petersburg. That's saying a lot as my favorite all time blade is Gillette Platinum.

Fine Lavender Pour Homme (French for Lavender for men) was really nice. Tomorrow I'll focus more on the scent. Today I was blown away by its performance. I did notice the Lavender scent but it seemed a little more musky than pure Lavender. It's almost as is they tried to minimalize the floral scent to it. It is a nice scent which I will give its due tomorrow.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Shark Platinum (2)
Brush: Omega S10077
033_50.jpg

My shaves are moving right along this week. My Grande is a joy to use, Shark Platinum's are a very nice blade, and Fine Lavender Pour Homme is a nice scent. I wish it was more Lavender than mixed to make it more "manly", but it's not bad. I also wish the scent was more pronounced either way. My two favorite Fine scents are Green Vetiver and Snake Bite. The lavender is just nice.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
How long have those Shark Platinum been out, Rave? This is the first I've heard of them.
I first heard about them a month ago. The first mention here on B&B was in April. @Bogeyman noticed that a UK vendor had them on ebay. In the same thread I read that Razor Blade Club had them by May. Razor Blade Club is where I buy most of my blades except for Timor. Connaught has the best price on them. I ordered some Shark Platinums to try and liked them. They are smooth and sharp. I then went crazy and ordered more. They are a pretty good blade in my book. A company has to be doing pretty good to launch a new line.

Shark Has a New Platinum Blade - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/shark-has-a-new-platinum-blade.565092/

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thanks Rave, I've obviously not been paying enough attention. :001_tongu I just placed an order with Connaught recently, and might have added a pack if I'd known. Platinum coated blades do tend to work well for me. Not that I'm in any desperate need of more blades of course... :)

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Shark Platinum (3)
Brush: Omega S11745
039_50.jpg

I'm really enjoying this Shark Platinum I'm using. I first tried them a month ago, and have just now gotten around to using them again. I got side tracked when Esox talked me into using a Feather blade in my Grande. I only used a Shark Platinum for 5 shaves on my first use. This time I will take them to my normal 10 shaves and out that I do with all blades. Everything is good in my shave life. If you haven't tried Reuzel at some point you should. It's a very good aftershave splash for a great post feel and scent.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Maybe I need to come up with a plan to talk you into trying a Voskhod again. I'm not sure I have any GSB's left though so I cant join you in misery haha.

Top Bottom