What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Mike busted a move and purchased something! Oh, you must tell. Inquiring minds want to know. :w00t: :wink2:

Screenshot_2019-09-22 Connaught Shaving Invoice.jpg

I wanted P&B Sanskrit but they sold out of it. He who hesitates, as the saying goes. I wont hesitate next time...

Screenshot_2019-09-24 Sanskrit Tallow Shaving Soap(1).png

Sanskrit Tallow Shaving Soap

$20.43CAD. 115g tubs. The same weight as my WK but at almost exactly 1/2 the cost of WK.

Wickham Shangri La is $25CAD and is a special limited edition run.

Screenshot_2019-09-24 Wickham Soap Co Dark Edition Shangri La.png

Wickham Soap Co. Dark Edition Shangri La Shaving Soap 140g - The Gentleman's Groom Room

Get em while ye can laddie!

I have my Rose scent. Assuming I like one of these Sandalwood scents better than Captain's Choice, I'll have it too.

Whats next, SV? Wickham and CRS are pretty good. I expect P&B to be in the same class, if not even better. Is SV really much of a step up?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Grande c
Blade: Feather (3)
Brush: APShaveco SynBad
Soap: Wickham 1912 Cashmere
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
028_50.jpg
This has been a very good week so far. The Feather blade continues to be smooth, sharp, and irritation free. I could use this blade everyday except I don't want to. I have to many blades to try. The Feather is a notch above, but the difference in shaves between it and a Lord are minimal. Lord's and Shark's are intriguing me. Oh, Lord look at the Shark the Shark said to the Lord, or pass the Lord and save the Shark.

I'm enjoying the Wickham 1912 Cashmere. I love the scent is so sweet and present. The scent even lingers in my synthetics for hours after I rinse it and put it back on my shelf said the serendipitous brush sniffer.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
View attachment 1019617

I wanted P&B Sanskrit but they sold out of it. He who hesitates, as the saying goes. I wont hesitate next time...

View attachment 1019620

$20.43CAD. 115g tubs. The same weight as my WK but at almost exactly 1/2 the cost of WK.

View attachment 1019625

Wickham Soap Co. Dark Edition Shangri La Shaving Soap 140g - The Gentleman's Groom Room

I have my Rose scent. Assuming I like one of these Sandalwood scents better than Captain's Choice, I'll have it too.

Whats next, SV? Wickham and CRS are pretty good. I expect P&B to be in the same class, if not even better. Is SV really much of a step up?
That's a lot of Brit soap! I'm interested in what you think about the Phoenix and Bleau Soap. Did you get Spitfire? I almost bought that one for the cool label alone. I'm intrigued by the Shanri La scent profile. I'm hoping it has more earthy notes than the Cashmere. I love the scent but Cashmere fills the niche for a sweeter scent in my collection. I think you will find CRS Sandalwood quite to your satisfaction. Let me know if I'm wrong and if Captain's choice wins out. Yes, Mike, yes, SV is magic soap made by sprites in the mountains of Italy.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That's a lot of Brit soap! I'm interested in what you think about the Phoenix and Bleau Soap. Did you get Spitfire? I almost bought that one for the cool label alone. I'm intrigued by the Shanri La scent profile. I'm hoping it has more earthy notes than the Cashmere. I love the scent but Cashmere fills the niche for a sweeter scent in my collection. I think you will find CRS Sandalwood quite to your satisfaction. Let me know if I'm wrong and if Captain's choice wins out. Yes, Mike, yes, SV is magic soap made by sprites in the mountains of Italy.

I wanted P&B Sanskrit but Connaught is sold out. I should have made the order last week when I was going too. Instead, I ordered Iceni.

Iceni Tallow Shaving Soap

Screenshot_2019-09-25 Iceni Tallow Shaving Soap.png

SV is special. Stella Alpina it shall be then.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm curious about your APShaveCo brushes Rave...

What differences have you found between the SynBad and SilkSmoke knots?

View attachment 1019617

View attachment 1019620

View attachment 1019625

In a word: yes. I will go back to CRS again next week. This week is SV and my skin may finally getting to where I want it to be! I had a technique issue that I identified and will explain when I don't have a 16 hour shift looming in 5 hours lol. The last two to three weeks have been very productive from a shaving standpoint, but may end up being expensive if my suspicions (that SV is the single best soap and aftershave combo for my skin) end up being born out.

Oh and someone needs to make a CRS Indian Sandalwood scented aftershave. Fine Santal absolut just isn't even close on this scent. The CRS is amazing. I prefer it to CC but it is slightly sweeter. Nowhere near as sweet as the fine stuff though...

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Feather (4)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo
034_50.jpg

Today was a fun shave. I'm really enjoying shaving with my Grande loaded with a Feather blade. The shave was my normal two and a half passes with touch ups. The result was BBS with a DFS on my neck. I really love the performance of Wickham 1912 and the Cashmere scent. My only complaint is that artisan soft soaps tend to go so quickly. I've already made a huge bowl shaped dent in it, and I've only used it for 15 shaves. If I ever get to the point where I have to be practical the best two deals on top performing soaps would be SV and Fine. SV is the topest tierest (not really words) soap in my book. The Cream I would choose would be CRS without a question and Proraso Single Blade. For an all around practical inexpensive soap Proraso still rules. The performance of top tier artisan soft soaps are fantastic. It's just that they dissipate too quickly. I think it is because they use so many ingredients like facial moisturizers and creams that aren't actually soap? B&M falls into the category of having staying power unlike most of the artisan soft soaps (I think).

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
In a word: yes. I will go back to CRS again next week. This week is SV and my skin may finally getting to where I want it to be! I had a technique issue that I identified and will explain when I don't have a 16 hour shift looming in 5 hours lol. The last two to three weeks have been very productive from a shaving standpoint, but may end up being expensive if my suspicions (that SV is the single best soap and aftershave combo for my skin) end up being born out.

Oh and someone needs to make a CRS Indian Sandalwood scented aftershave. Fine Santal absolut just isn't even close on this scent. The CRS is amazing. I prefer it to CC but it is slightly sweeter. Nowhere near as sweet as the fine stuff though...

Maybe I shouldnt try SV. If it aint broke...:tongue_sm

Yeah CRS, so far anyway, wins hands down in the scent department. The refinement of their Rose scent told me that. The difference between CRS and CC Sandalwood scents is what it will come down to for me. I really like the CC scent.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Maybe I shouldnt try SV. If it aint broke...:tongue_sm

Yeah CRS, so far anyway, wins hands down in the scent department. The refinement of their Rose scent told me that. The difference between CRS and CC Sandalwood scents is what it will come down to for me. I really like the CC scent.
CRS is a very nice Sandalwood scent in the tradition of CRS. It's a true scent. It is on the sweet side unlike Proraso Red. They are my two favorite Sandalwood scents. TOBS is God-awful terrible imo. It's perfume something or other.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
CRS is a very nice Sandalwood scent in the tradition of CRS. It's a true scent. It is on the sweet side unlike Proraso Red. They are my two favorite Sandalwood scents. TOBS is God-awful terrible imo. It's perfume something or other.

I liked Proraso Red but it was to strong and heavy. CC Sandalwood is strong too, but not in an overpowering way. Dark, smokey and smouldering. I have a feeling it will be the one I like the most but we'll see.

Maybe you've missed this for the moment Rave;

I'm curious about your APShaveCo brushes Rave...

What differences have you found between the SynBad and SilkSmoke knots?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I liked Proraso Red but it was to strong and heavy. CC Sandalwood is strong too, but not in an overpowering way. Dark, smokey and smouldering. I have a feeling it will be the one I like the most but we'll see.

Maybe you've missed this for the moment Rave;
I did miss it. The SynBad is denser packed. Both of them splay like a badger imo. The SynBad was scritchy at first. That is because one batch of knots he bought had upside down hairs. They were easy to spot because the tips are white and the base is brown. I clipped out about 35 and now both brushes are equally luxurious. I don't know if that issue has been resolved with a new batch yet? I find the Silksmoke to be dense enough for my taste and it edges out the SynBad slightly for face lathering on most days. It really comes down to a preference of density.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Better, is good enough. Thanks Rave lol.

SV and APShaveCo, hmmm.
You're welcome. Remember, I'm also the guy who has said, "You can just go buy a Maggard 22mm Synth and call it a day". I stand behind that, and I also stand behind my opinion about the APShaveco Silksmoke in comparison. SV...:drool:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Feather (5)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Cashmere
032_50.jpg

Nice shave to end the week. My last shave, once again, was the closest and the best. A quick shout out to Mike @Esox for suggesting this razor, blade, and soap combination. I could easily use Feathers in a Fatip as my go to if not for my multiple acquisition disorders. Next week I'll be trying Shark SS for the first time. I have to get some shaves in with them to decide if I should order more when I place an order for more Shark Platinums. I'll also be using SV Cosmo for a soap, and Figaro Monsieur Gold Splash. The razor will be announced with pictures on Monday. I've already chosen it.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Razor: Joris
Blade: Shark SS (1)
Brush: Omega S10019
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cosmo
Aftershave: Figaro Monsieur Ambra
037_50.jpg

Broke out my Joris this week to start out OCtober with. I loaded it with a Shark SS blade. This is the first use of this blade and paired with my Plisson Joris it was shizmet. This was the closest shave I've had in a long time. I always chalk it up to the weight of my Joris. This counters the common line of reasoning that you use zero pressure. This is poppycock of course you use pressure. You just do it with finesse and technique. The math is simple weight = Pressure. That's why people frankenrazor their razors with different handles. I love this razor, but it will take a minute to readjust to the over all size of it.

Nothing is like SV soaps. They are such consistently fantastic performers. The scent profile of SV Cosmo is: Citrus Of Sicily, Coffee...Body Note: Nutmeg, Coriander, Pepper...Base Notes: Vetyver, Sandalwood, Incense, Vanilla. I would say the predominate scent is Coffee, Nutmeg and Vanilla with the subtlest hint of Vetiver for depth of character.

Figaro Monsiuer Ambra is an old friend in my rotation. I love the powdery scent. I would say barber shop scent, but that word is over played. What the heck is barber shop scent? They say that about Pinaud Original and they both smell nothing alike. All I know is I love the scent, it feels great, has menthol, and for $25 dollars for 400ml it's a steal for a top tier performer.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
This counters the common line of reasoning that you use zero pressure. This is poppycock of course you use pressure. You just do it with finesse and technique. The math is simple weight = Pressure.

I've been paying attention to how much pressure I've been using lately with my MMOC and Wickham soaps. I've always used a fair bit of pressure, but I'm using far more now than I did before and having an easier more comfortable shave because of it. Shaving last night I was watching the razor indent into my skin and thinking that if I had made a video of how I shave with that razor people wouldnt believe there was a blade in it because I use so much pressure.

I believe thats why I can have a closer shave with my MMOC than I can any DE razor. The blade is so much thicker and more stable I can use even more pressure without the worry of the edge flexing and biting me.

If one was to watch me shave with it, they wouldnt really notice much finesse or technique, I just buff until theres nothing left for the blade to cut, but just because it cant be easily noticed, doesnt mean it isnt there. It's the same as with using any tool, the better one is with the tool, the better the job it can do.

Using the right soaps, is what makes that possible without any damage being done to my skin. 14 hours post shave and I'm still BBS everywhere but my left side jawline where I can just feel a hint of stubble.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Razor: Joris
Blade: Shark SS (2)
Brush: Omega S10077
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cosmo
Aftershave: Figaro Monsieur Ambra
038_50.jpg

Had a great shave on day two using a Shark SS blade for the first time. It's a nice blade, but I find the new Shark Platinum's to be a notch above in sharpness and smoothness. I haven't used SV Cosmo in awhile. I forgot what a thirsty soap it is. I love how a very little goes such a long way. I'm still adjusting to the size and weight of my Joris after weeks with my Piccolo and Grande. My Joris sure is really efficient if not a feeling that it can be prone to bite.

Top Bottom