What's new

My Fatboy smells like oil, please help!

I have a recently purchased fatboy that works perfect, I think the previous owner oiled it up. Now it smells pretty bad and I can't get rid of it. Scrubbing bubbles, soaking in soapy water, no help.

Do you have any suggestions to alleviate the oily smell.

Thanks

Yes. Simple green. It is a very good degreaser. Just soak it on there full strength. Ahold take the oil right off. You can find it at Wally world in the auto section.

I have a recently purchased fatboy that works perfect, I think the previous owner oiled it up. Now it smells pretty bad and I can't get rid of it. Scrubbing bubbles, soaking in soapy water, no help.

Do you have any suggestions to alleviate the oily smell.

Thanks
As JoshD mentioned, SimpleGreen is the way to go. Spray it on full strength, let it soak, then cover it with just enough water that the razor is completely submerged. Work the adjustment knob and the TTO knob back and forth to make sure the solution reaches all parts of the mechanism. Let it soak for at least 20 minutes, up to an hour. Scrub it with an old toothbrush, and rinse it off.

Repeat this 2 or 3 times as necessary.

Don't take this to mean that your FatBoy doesn't need to be lubricated. The previous owner just used the wrong kind. He probably sprayed it with WD-40 or something like that. You can use mineral oil or baby oil, even olive oil, and it should be just fine.

Spray Nine will remove the oil and sterilize it at the same time.
However, Simple Green smells MUCH better and is easier on your hands, if you should happen to get it on them.

I've used baby oil and straight mineral oil to lube my TTO razors. Only real difference is baby oil smells like powder, straight mineral oil smells like nothing.

Top Bottom